• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers #161 cover art - Jan Heritage Auction
1 1

42 posts in this topic

Just saw this pop up on Heritage's site - no image yet, but WOW. This should have lots of collectors lined up to bid on this piece. IMO, the top cover from the Perez Avengers era.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/covers/george-perez-and-pablo-marcos-avengers-161-cover-original-art-marvel-1977-/p/7358-149001.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

I don’t care for the image that much either and I didn’t read avengers but have heard many people bring up that issue.    Can someone remind the unwashed as to the significance of that issue?

Edited by Bronty

On 11/19/2023 at 7:15 AM, Bronty said:

I don’t care for the image that much either and I didn’t read avengers but have heard many people bring up that issue.    Can someone remind the unwashed as to the significance of that issue?

For me it's the middle part of a great story line that features awesome interior Perez art and memorable Perez covers.  The issue starts with a deranged Hank as Ant-Man and ends with Ultron and several presumed dead Avengers.  If you pulled this issue from the spinner rack and collect original art, you want this cover.

I seem to recall from years ago that a very high-quality recreation of this cover by George Perez came up for sale privately or at auction.  The recreation was so good that some Perez collectors momentarily thought it was the real thing.  I could be having false memories here, but it seemed to cause a brief sensation.  Anyone else recall this?

On 11/21/2023 at 8:03 AM, Lee B. said:

I seem to recall from years ago that a very high-quality recreation of this cover by George Perez came up for sale privately or at auction.  The recreation was so good that some Perez collectors momentarily thought it was the real thing.  I could be having false memories here, but it seemed to cause a brief sensation.  Anyone else recall this?

Now that you mention it, I do recall. Maybe the inker did it?

Don't recall any specifics though

Malvin

On 11/20/2023 at 5:31 PM, RBerman said:

I can understand its appeal. Ant-Man gained the ability to control spiders, which seems noteworthy.

hm  1st true appearance of spider-man!!! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Edited by Bronty

On 11/19/2023 at 7:15 AM, Bronty said:

It's a great storyline and I believe the first George Perez Ultron, which for many was the definitive version of the character. This cover was also sought after for a long time by a collector who advertised in the Overstreet guide looking for it so I think there's an element of "if that guy wants it, I want it too".

On 11/21/2023 at 6:10 PM, Carlo M said:

Super peak Perez with great Marcos inks in the interiors . Great storylines . This cover has a great layout , prime characters and screams Perez. The spiders are a bit distracting though …

I'm not 100% in love with the published image either, but that's one cover where I think it will look a lot better in black and white.    There's a lot of mishmashed colors that are a bit distracting that won't be present on the OA.