• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do printer creases kill a grade that bad?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I bought this book new so I know that it has never been read and in a bag and board for years.  I had it pressed before sending it in to get graded.  That crease would not come out and was told it was a printer crease that happened during production?  Is that true?  I was also told that this book is being graded tough because of the number of issues printed?  I'm just curious because I know there is no way to change this. 

Screenshot 2023-11-20 001952.png

CGC4292657-008_REV.jpg

CGC4292657-008_OBV.jpg

• Administrator

Hello! 

Before touching on the crease itself, I would like to confirm that this book was not graded in comparison to other copies of the same issue. Our graders have a set of criteria that we review each book on. This will lead them to the final grade and not to review other copies. 

As for creases, the grade these will receive greatly is dependent on the crease itself. For example, a crease caused by reading the book and bending the pages is treated more harshly than a book that has received a polybag crease or printing crease. Unfortunately, from the photos, it is a little difficult to see all the creases our graders may have seen when grading this book. I do see one by Gambit's elbow that breaks color but there could be others that I missed. (Note: I am not a grader :grin:).

Now as for if this happened during production, I can not confirm this. It does have the possibility of being a reader crease instead of a production crease because of its location, size, and direction (from folding open the cover to viewing the first page) but our graders review this directly. Since there were no other notes in the system regarding this book I can not offer any further insight. I am sorry for the inconvenience but I hope this helps shine some light on creases. 

Thanks for choosing the Certified Collectible Group!

I bought this book new so I know that it has never been read and in a bag and board for years.  I had it pressed before sending it in to get graded.  That crease would not come out and was told it was a printer crease that happened during production?  Is that true?  I was also told that this book is being graded tough because of the number of issues printed?  I'm just curious because I know there is no way to change this. 

CGC4292657-008_OBV.jpg

Hi,

Printers creases differ greatly from creases due to wear/handling.  CGC's scans have much brightness that most defects are obscured. Why do they do that?

Based on the 9.8's book's I've seen and own with varying printer creases and the ease of differentiating from non printers creases, if applying occam's razor then your book does not have a printers crease.

P.S. I'm genuinely curious; a lot of "newbies" specifically mention a Comic is/was bagged and boarded when asking condition questions. As it has zero bearing on the condition of the Comic itself, I am trying to understand why that is mentioned?

Edited by MAR1979

The reason I am saying when it was bought I had it bagged and boarded is because I worked for my local comic book store.   I bought it new and I always inspect my books before purchase.   You cannot see this crease straight on viewing.  It’s hard to find it unless you look at the right angle.  So no it was not a reader bend. But it is what it is and I’ve seen so many books that look worse get higher grades so I do not believe they are looked at by several graders.  If they were then grades would be more consistent.   I’m sure it might have been “looked at” as it was being passed from one person to another.   

IMG_6339.thumb.png.41f557609145caae82b4de0af35d5452.pngYou cannot even see it from this angle.  Just frustrating because just like CGC says there is no way to prove how this happened.   The same can be said once the book is in the hands of anyone else, including the grader.  Problem is we the consumer pay for it.  And no accountability on CGC