• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have any of you gotten lucky with comic lot auctions?
1 1

30 posts in this topic

On 11/24/2023 at 1:32 PM, shadroch said:

Selling off unwanted auction wins can make your hobby cheaper or maybe even turn a profit.

Yeah, at the moment, I'm interested in one eBay lot auction, but only because more than half of it would fill a huge gap in my collection while also having an under-FMV per-issue average cost at my highest bid. It's a no-brainer for me to acquire even if I'll end up with a batch of issues as duplicates to have to resell. I've crunched the numbers and it's still cheap. Unless someone decides to throw up a ridiculous bid, the one I'm making is guaranteed to grab it and still be an amazing deal. I imagine that my maximum bid won't even be necessary. But I'm smart with auctions and will only bid at the last minute.

Edited by stormflora

On 11/23/2023 at 6:26 AM, stormflora said:

Yeah, that's the mindset I have as well. Most sellers are likely to be experienced enough in the field to have already screened and pulled out anything of value in those lots, leaving you wish a ton of junk to have to flip to make a little bit of profit after a lot of labour involved with all of the listings. Simply not worth the payoff.

Hence, the only lots that have potential are ones that look like they're estate sales or from some ordinary joe's yard sale. Have to really screen online sellers for this sort of thing, and you're not going to encounter more than a few of them once a year, so it's not a viable long-term solution for income.

I see. Yeah, it's definitely a poor return on investment. Okay for someone to have some cheap comics to read, but not if their intention is to flip it.

And unfortunately most of the time is also right with the tons of soberly named "incomplete run" these lots of of entire modern series sold for an ammount already too expensive and more of that the guy keep all the keys... 

For exemple imagine a run of modern batman from 600 to 700, i think if its complete i would be ready to pay 3 by issues, but the fact is that you find some people who try to sell at this price but have removed 608-619,635,655-658 and he think that it won't be seenlol

Ebay full of it...  never buy this kinds of lots please!

I used to buy lots of raws at Comic Link auctions years ago and I had some amazing purchases. They have grown in popularity since then and the deals have mostly dried up. 

My best purchases was a group of ASM 40-49 (including 41) were listed as being 4.0 avg but they averaged higher that that. I got lot for $302. 

Found it in my history so sharing a snapshot of it.

capture.jpg

On 11/25/2023 at 3:23 PM, Stefan_W said:

I used to buy lots of raws at Comic Link auctions years ago and I had some amazing purchases. They have grown in popularity since then and the deals have mostly dried up. 

My best purchases was a group of ASM 40-49 (including 41) were listed as being 4.0 avg but they averaged higher that that. I got lot for $302. 

Found it in my history so sharing a snapshot of it.

capture.jpg

That would have to be before 2017? Or so... Any idea how far back it was?

I bid on my very first one on HA and won for what seems like a decent price - a lot of 6 which included 3 semi-key books. I'm interested to see if my gamble paid off. My goal is what @shadroch pointed out: sell off what I don't want to offset the cost of keeping the ones I do want.

On 11/25/2023 at 5:58 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I bid on my very first one on HA and won for what seems like a decent price - a lot of 6 which included 3 semi-key books. I'm interested to see if my gamble paid off. My goal is what @shadroch pointed out: sell off what I don't want to offset the cost of keeping the ones I do want.

That's typically more of a necessity, though =P. There's no reason to keep unwanted comics lying around, after all.

On 11/25/2023 at 4:39 PM, Stefan_W said:

It was 2017, which is when I started using CL. I was snapping up raw lots like this until 2019 before things got popular and I was priced out. 

Ya I was thinking it had to be 2017 or there before, as I remember similar type $50 prices for each issue, but in really nice grade. Amazing those didn't hit my collection as I bought up stuff cause even in VF now would run a couple of hundred plus for each individual issue. Just astounding when you think about it. Even ASM #1 in CGC 2.0 was only a couple of grand if that, same with X-Men FF, and even daredevil in CGC 4.0 was under a grand. I remember thinking $500 for a book would be a comfortable limit, at the time it made sense, but I didn't get silver age doh!

Woulda shoulda could of. Even talked layaway with the LCS several times but was a broke college kid. "Making do!" with discovering CGC lol 😂😆

Edited by ADAMANTIUM