• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Bronze-Age Marvel Titles
1 1

15 posts in this topic

I’ve always thought the Marvel title best representing the BA era was Marvel Team-Up. Usually teaming with Spider-man was a top tier character interspersed with relative unknowns. Story arcs were generally short and easy to follow. Not a great deal of experimentation involved with the title(one had to have been a Spidey fan), but always entertaining stories imo.
Avengers and DD hit high points in the 70’s and my personal fave being FF and the run up to #200 with good stories from Wein, Conway, Thomas, & Wolfman.  

Captain Marvel was my favorite BA Marvel run. Perhaps the best era for the Avengers and MOKF was great, although it took about a year to find its legs.  Tomb of Dracula flew under the radar.  Starlin's Warlock was pretty good, and Howard the Duck had some great issues, along with a few swings and misses. An under-rated run was Captain America from about 168 on.  It tackles politics, features the first X-Men sightings in several years, and leads to Steve Rogers quitting as Cap.  Pretty wild stuff for the time.  The Defenders were good, until they got too strange.

To hit some nails on the head: FF 155 to 157, (3 issue story arc,) MOKF 38 & 39, (the pinnacle of the Gulacy/Adkins issues,) Amazing Adventures 34 to 39 (the best part of the run) with Craig Russell on Killraven, the first 5 Frankenstein with Ploog and Doc Strange 1 to 5 with Brunner art, and Defenders 42 to 54 the Keith Giffen run with some great story by David Anthony Kraft.

On 12/25/2023 at 9:24 AM, Readcomix said:

Michelinie’s Iron Man run. I think he started on #115.

For Avengers, specifically #154-177

I like the whole Defenders run, but the first 55 issues or so especially.

It's a matter of taste, but I like the Avengers from the beginning of the Defenders War through their conflict with the Squadron Supreme/Squadron Sinister.   Then you have the revival of Wonder Man and the inevitable confrontation with The Vision, all culminating in The Micheal Saga.  It was one of the best five-year runs in Marvel's history.

On 12/25/2023 at 12:01 PM, shadroch said:

It's a matter of taste, but I like the Avengers from the beginning of the Defenders War through their conflict with the Squadron Supreme/Squadron Sinister.   Then you have the revival of Wonder Man and the inevitable confrontation with The Vision, all culminating in The Micheal Saga.  It was one of the best five-year runs in Marvel's history.

Most of that is in there. I did forget the Avengers Defenders war, so really you could go 112 to 177, which is the end of the Michael (Korvac) saga. And the Squadron story does tie into my favorite of the Kang stories, with all the Marvel cowboys. The narrower range I gave starts with just after Wonder Man is back, with a great Dr Doom/Atlantis battle (you need Super Villain Team-Up #9 as it’s a crossover). The Wonder Man/Vision battle comes in #158, and two or three of my favorites are right after: the introduction of Graviton in 159-160, a great Ultron story, and the Nefaria trilogy in 164-166. 
Avengers/Defenders is so early in the 70’s I almost forgot it.