• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The first official FF cross-over

15 posts in this topic

Amazing Spider-Man 1 and Strange Tales 106, Release Date, December 10, 1962, Cover Date, March, 1963

Which is the 1st crossover?

Just to add more fuel to the fire, The F.F. appeared in the 1st story in ST 106 but did not appear in ASM 1 until the 2nd story, the entire team is shown on the cover of both, so...(shrug)

On 11/23/2023 at 7:38 AM, namisgr said:

With the Torch and Thing as the heroes for the title, it's hard for me to think of an appearance by Reed and Sue as a crossover for the team as a whole.  But yes, it is an appearance by the whole team in a book not named Fantastic Four.  So it's a 'tweener' for me.

I didn’t think Benjy was co-starring in Strange Tales at that point. So I vote “Yes!”

Considering further that Hulkie showed up in FF 12 that month, leads me to believe that guest appearances were intentional that month.

The Thing first appears in the title as a supporting player in ST 101.  Sue is a supporting character in 102 and a main part of the plot in 105.  But while the FF get mention right from the start of the switch to superhero in 101, they don't appear as a foursome in the first five issues.

Edited by namisgr

I guess it's the whole team that the hobby generally accepts for appearance in a title other than their own for the criterion of a team crossover.

And I agree with you that it's fun as a talking point but doesn't matter a hoot beyond that, much like discussions around when the Bronze and Copper Ages began.

On 11/26/2023 at 12:05 PM, Jaylam said:

Isn't one a "cameo" and the other a "first full appearance" outside their own title??? Of course, which is which?

Not exactly in this case.  Sue has a major role in the Torch story in Strange Tales #105.  It's not a cameo, but it's also not a crossover appearance of the entire Fantastic Four.  Confounding matters of interpretation is that a member of the team is the recurring star of the book in issue after issue.

On 12/6/2023 at 11:43 AM, BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES said:

The fact that the cover calls it a "guest appearance" means they were presenting it as a cross-over

You won me over with this argument.  Good for you for pointing out the obvious!