• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much is too much of a blunt corner
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I am in the process of purchasing a NM98. There is one defect that I can’t get past. Looking for a 9.8 but trying to find those diamonds in the rough (or hoarded :) ). I found a copy that I feel is a good candidate but not sure about a couple of things.  
1. how much is too much of a blunted corner? I have 9.8’s in my collection that look similar but I bought the book with the grade. (Oh and all other corners are sharp)
2. will those micro scratches in the picture also affect the grade?

Thank you all for you help in advance. 
ShaggyIMG_1482.thumb.jpeg.1b0dd3c91e37b2d31226d3d2b9c8ee27.jpeg

Edited by Shaggy37
Added additional info

Hi Shaggy, your best bet here is to post full scans of front & back and if possible, the centrefold and splash page in the Hey Buddy, Can You Spare a Grade section of the forum for a better discussion of the overall grade of this book. Boardies will comment on any and all defects visible and what the overall grade this would likely receive if submitted. 

Thanks for the reply. I didn’t take numerous pictures of the book I was looking at - just the area of concern. Noted for next time. Also might be a good idea that I do this so I can catalog and compare with multiple sellers. Thanks again. 

On 11/27/2023 at 4:20 PM, Shaggy37 said:

I am in the process of purchasing a NM98. There is one defect that I can’t get past. Looking for a 9.8 but trying to find those diamonds in the rough (or hoarded :) ). I found a copy that I feel is a good candidate but not sure about a couple of things.  
1. how much is too much of a blunted corner? I have 9.8’s in my collection that look similar but I bought the book with the grade. (Oh and all other corners are sharp)
2. will those micro scratches in the picture also affect the grade?

Thank you all for you help in advance. 
ShaggyIMG_1482.thumb.jpeg.1b0dd3c91e37b2d31226d3d2b9c8ee27.jpeg

I'll put it this way---it looks better than a 9.6 but not as good as a 9.9. Does that help?    

A book is graded on it's entirety, however, just looking at corners...

NM/MT 9.8 - Corners are cut square and sharp.

NM+ 9.6 - One corner may be almost imperceptibly blunted, but still almost sharp and cut square.

NM 9.4 - Corners are cut square and sharp with ever-so-slight blunting permitted.

NM- 9.2 - Corners are cut square and sharp with ever-so-slight blunting permitted.

VF/NM 9.0 - Corners are cut square and sharp with ever-so-slight blunting permitted but no creases.

VF 8.0 - Cover is relatively flat with minimal surface wear beginning to show, possibly including some minute wear at corners. 

FN/VF 7.0 - Corners may be blunted.

FN 6.0 - Blunted corners are more common.

On 11/28/2023 at 11:42 AM, marvelmaniac said:

A book is graded on it's entirety, however, just looking at corners...

NM/MT 9.8 - Corners are cut square and sharp.

NM+ 9.6 - One corner may be almost imperceptibly blunted, but still almost sharp and cut square.

NM 9.4 - Corners are cut square and sharp with ever-so-slight blunting permitted.

NM- 9.2 - Corners are cut square and sharp with ever-so-slight blunting permitted.

VF/NM 9.0 - Corners are cut square and sharp with ever-so-slight blunting permitted but no creases.

VF 8.0 - Cover is relatively flat with minimal surface wear beginning to show, possibly including some minute wear at corners. 

FN/VF 7.0 - Corners may be blunted.

FN 6.0 - Blunted corners are more common.

Based on this, the photo of the corner above would be more like a VF or VF/NM. If lenient, maybe NM- to NM.

Thanks guys. A little late reading the responses but appreciate the input and no blunts for me…left that back in my Uni days - well maybe once and while after that…I think.