• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Star Spangled War Stories #96
2 2

6 posts in this topic

I would greatly appreciate any comments on this book.  I see some very fine wear marks near the staples and along the right edge of the front cover.  The cover is detached at the upper staple.  I'm trying to learn how to balance things and get a reasonable grade estimate on books like this one.  Thanks in advance.

SSWS 96 FC.jpg

SSWS 96 BC.jpg

Pic 1.jpg

Pic 2.jpg

Pic 3.jpg

Pic 5.jpg

The most a detached staple can get is 7.0/7.5 but that's an extreme case for an otherwise perfect book. That staple detachment looks a little gnarly with some tearing and so forth emanating from it. I'd guess 5.0/5.5 with some preference for the higher grade

On 11/30/2023 at 4:50 PM, scburdet said:

The most a detached staple can get is 7.0/7.5 but that's an extreme case for an otherwise perfect book. That staple detachment looks a little gnarly with some tearing and so forth emanating from it. I'd guess 5.0/5.5 with some preference for the higher grade

So my interpretation is that the book would need to be ~8.5 to 9.0 without the detached staple.   The detachment alone drops it to the 7.0/7.5 range and then the other accumulated wear drops it further to 5.0/5.5.  Similarly, a fully detached cover drops an otherwise perfect book to the 4.0 range, then other defects lower it from there.  I wasn't getting this understanding from just reading through the grading guideline.  I'm learning, but slowly.

Thanks for the help!

BTW - I think this book has pretty cool cover art.

On 12/1/2023 at 2:30 PM, Louisville Pirate said:

detachment alone drops it to the 7.0

sort of. A reading of their book suggests some things are "allowable" once a grade drops to a certain level. For example, a fully split spine is a 1.8. Creasing is can drop a grade from 4.0-9.8. So a book fully split spine can have creasing without additional deduction. So, it's not right to say that additional defects lead to additional grade deductions, but it's also not wrong. In this case, my belief is that the nature of this staple detachment alone is worth the 5ish grade. The 7.0 kind of detachment would be a really clean one that was only noticeable upon close inspection. I don't have any examples like that to show.

Thanks again.  I think I'll have to rethink my grades on several books.  I've been starting "low" and trying to work upward.  RE:  with a 1" spine split, I have been starting at 4.0 and trying to see if there are reasons to elevate from there.  I don't have the book, just what I've been able to copy from the Heritage Auctions site.

I really appreciate the grades you've given on several of my books.  I've sent in a batch for C&P and then on to CGC for grading.   Probably won't have them to share until March or so.