• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM, is it a good price?
1 1

56 posts in this topic

Im a DC hard fan but if there is a charachter that i always loved and think to start a run one day is well Spidey. 

My question is will you pay a price of 3 dollars by issue for a great quantity of books (probably around 200) between 350 to 700 containing absolutely no key?  

For exemple i already paid this kind of ammount for lot of books but it was always some lots who contain at least several keys, for exemple i remember bought a lot of 60 batman between 400 to 500 for 3 by issue but it was the death in the family include.

But spidey seems so hot, no hesitation is the more valuable charachter on the market. So i think it can be worth it to pay this kind of ammount even if there is no keys include. What do you think? Are the major part of these books are in the dollar box in USA? 

(Books are VF/NM)

Edited by BA773

$3 a book is very steep IMO especially in the grade being offered; also considering any potential notable book being removed. It would be hard to find any value in these books, if you wanted to read them buy a TPB. In the states you are likely to find these issues in bundles of 10 or 20 at conventions for $1 per issue if not cheaper in small runs and the more you buy the larger the discount which could bring the the price point down to closer to $0.75 ea.

I am not super familiar with spider-man books from this era but am with X-Men (1963/1991/ultimate/astonishing) runs and the above is generally the price point I regularly buy at in search of NM+ copies (and newsstands) to submit for my registry set then dump off 99% of what is not kept as donations.

On 12/1/2023 at 10:28 AM, BA773 said:

(Books are VF/NM)

I’m also always a bit dubious and cautious when large quantities of books are all graded exactly the same, 200 issues here.

To me, it suggests books which have a range of obvious defects which keep them out of the NM stratosphere, but actually could be anything VF or possibly much less. No good at specific grading, or can’t be bothered to be that meticulous.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 12/1/2023 at 12:05 PM, Ken Aldred said:

I’m also always a bit dubious and cautious when large quantities of books are all graded exactly the same, 200 issues here.

To me, it suggests books which have a range of obvious defects which keep them out of the NM stratosphere, but actually could be anything VF or possibly much less. No good at specific grading, or can’t be bothered to be that meticulous.

The seller is a good acquaintance so i know that each book are graded properly.

Edited by BA773

On 12/1/2023 at 11:43 AM, DougC said:

$3 a book is very steep IMO especially in the grade being offered; also considering any potential notable book being removed. It would be hard to find any value in these books, if you wanted to read them buy a TPB. In the states you are likely to find these issues in bundles of 10 or 20 at conventions for $1 per issue if not cheaper in small runs and the more you buy the larger the discount which could bring the the price point down to closer to $0.75 ea.

I am not super familiar with spider-man books from this era but am with X-Men (1963/1991/ultimate/astonishing) runs and the above is generally the price point I regularly buy at in search of NM+ copies (and newsstands) to submit for my registry set then dump off 99% of what is not kept as donations.

Tpb are the product of Satan hismelf, fire on it!

On 12/1/2023 at 12:01 PM, BA773 said:

The seller is a good acquaintance so i know that each book are graded properly.

Just assumed it was a random eBay seller.

Sorry.

On 12/1/2023 at 1:28 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Just assumed it was a random eBay seller.

Sorry.

No problem, so in fact i deduce that is not worth it... 

The point is that on Ebay people are all completly stupid and sell some asm run of 100 issues for 1k or 2k but now by the overall advice i would not spend more than 1 dollars for every books which is not a key.

Damn :roflmao: i was looking the pics of each of these books of my friend and i realize that even spiderman had so much bad times during the 90s 00s... i think i will keep my money to buy until until the last of the DC books who exist on this earth lol its really frustrating to realize that (no hate please is just my opinion) the Marvel success is essentially a result of the things who turn around the comics and not the comics himself... i dont know if its a good idea to open the door a new time to this infinite disscusion:shy:

About that is there a topic dc vs marvel here? lol i will try to find something, its usually more the kind of disscussion you find on reddit or somethinglol

Edited by BA773

On 12/1/2023 at 8:25 AM, BA773 said:

Damn :roflmao: i was looking the pics of each of these books of my friend and i realize that even spiderman had so much bad times during the 90s 00s... i think i will keep my money to buy until until the last of the DC books who exist on this earth lol its really frustrating to realize that (no hate please is just my opinion) the Marvel success is essentially a result of the things who turn around the comics and not the comics himself... i dont know if its a good idea to open the door a new time to this infinite disscusion:shy:

Agreed, ASM had some real low points during this run, with lots of splashy/junky covers. When I was buying them in real time, I jumped off during the McFarlane era, which ironically now looks like a lost golden age compared to the 90s/00s. Just one fellow's opinion, but I really lost the emotional connection to the character in the 90s.

On 12/1/2023 at 3:05 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Depends upon how the collection was put together.  My collection was put together over several decades.  Meticulous searching of boxes (at stores and shows), eBay, forum buys, Storms, Reece, Sulipa, others.  I only purchase high-grade comics, except for some not NM key Marvels, which I no longer have.  One of the reasons I stopped collecting is how expensive early ASMs were getting.  I simply can't justify $Ks for key comics with a wife and three kids.  I generally only read re-print book versions of older comics (Marvel Masterworks or simialr), and my NM purchases went right into Mylite-2s with half- or full-backs.

Books I've sent in for CGC grading have generally done very well, with average grades of my NMs closer to 9.5 (ave).  Always a miss here or there, but also a good number of home runs in the 9.8 range.  Never had a 9.9...  My two best were two eBay purchases...ASM 42 shipped in a manila envelope and came back 9.6 W, and an ASM Annual 4, back 9.8 W.  Both auction wins as NM copies...long time ago.

On 12/1/2023 at 6:06 AM, BA773 said:

Lol this guy is a madman i asked him how much he want for 400 to 700, and he give me a price of 9k...

He in CA, and this lot is in CA.  Coincidence?  I cant seen paying that much for 400-700.  Depending where you live, lcs's, craigslist will knock out a large chuck at $3-5 a book, not $30.  
https://www.ebay.com/itm/285057067091?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=285057067091&targetid=1528987493176&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9025851&poi=&campaignid=19851828444&mkgroupid=145880009014&rlsatarget=pla-1528987493176&abcId=9307249&merchantid=6296724&gclid=CjwKCAiApaarBhB7EiwAYiMwqurMfuRAd850RJKUQ4AFe6Ff5UJRkVLlyxF_xl7ofDrSNVt8-SJHAxoCDkoQAvD_BwE

Edited by sd2416

On 12/1/2023 at 7:49 AM, sd2416 said:

Funny...  Not me...  I've been on the boards since near the beginning.  I never had a kudos page, but plenty of folks here can vouch for me.  I've made many purchases over the years.  Sold a ton through Bob Storms.  Bought and sold via eBay as "mlovest"...  100% feedback.  :cheers:

Also, love to see you get true NM copies for $3-5 on Craigslist or eBay.  Many will be junk with spine dings and worse.  Many likely not even bagged and boarded.  Buy 100 and keep a handful...

Edited by mlovest

On 12/1/2023 at 7:52 AM, Robot Man said:

The guy in LA already sold anything any good and now he is just trying to find a sucker to take the drek off his hands and expects big money for the rest. Probably not going to happen.

More fun...  Maybe I'm just an honest and life-long collector who's trying to get something reasonable for truly high-grade comics.  I collected Spider-Man comics and comics with Spidey on the cover, generally no later than 1990 for the cover appearances.  Some of those you may consider drek, but it's not easy to find Marvel Barbie 36 and Alf 47 (or Avengers #11!) in tight NM condition.  Maybe try and not assume the worst in people like myself, who have been on these boards since before some of you were born.  Maybe...  Or just assume I'm a jerk and maybe miss out on some great books.

Regardless, have a great day and happy collecting!

Edited by mlovest

On 12/1/2023 at 10:13 AM, mlovest said:

Funny...  Not me...  I've been on the boards since near the beginning.  I never had a kudos page, but plenty of folks here can vouch for me.  I've made many purchases over the years.  Sold a ton through Bob Storms.  Bought and sold via eBay as "mlovest"...  100% feedback.  :cheers:

I was just pointing out the price point for 400-700 and that guys 400-499 were the same, as was CA location.  You can be a good buyer and seller and be out of wack on prices at times.  We all have done it.