• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on Spider-Man in Marvel Tales
1 1

4 posts in this topic

When I was a kid, most of my knowledge of silver-age Spidey came from the Pocket Books reprints, and Marvel Tales. I feel quite a lot of nostalgia for the Marvel Tales run of Spidey reprints, and I'm considering putting a run of them together, but I remember there was a period of time when some misguided editor was replacing the 1960's references with at the time contemporary references. I remember being very annoyed when Aunt May referred to The Dukes of Hazard in one issue, for example. Is there a Marvel Tales run reprinting Spider-Man from AF15 on up that is completely faithful to the originals, with no missing panels or pages, and no altered captions or dialogue?

AF 15 was reprinted in Marvel Tales 1 and IIRC, was not reprinted again until MT 137.  Marvel Tales then apparently skipped a few issues of ASM, and started reprints beginning with ASM 6 in MT 3.  I don't recall any of those early ASM issues being reprinted as individual issues since the Marvel Tales run from 137 until 190.  I imagine that Af 15 and ASM 1 at least, have been reprinted as Marvel Milestone or some such facsimile edition.  The Marvel Masterworks and Omnibus collections may be the only other options.

On 12/2/2023 at 4:41 AM, GawkHawk said:

AF 15 was reprinted in Marvel Tales 1 and IIRC, was not reprinted again until MT 137.  Marvel Tales then apparently skipped a few issues of ASM, and started reprints beginning with ASM 6 in MT 3.  I don't recall any of those early ASM issues being reprinted as individual issues since the Marvel Tales run from 137 until 190.  I imagine that Af 15 and ASM 1 at least, have been reprinted as Marvel Milestone or some such facsimile edition.  The Marvel Masterworks and Omnibus collections may be the only other options.

I've got a Marvel Milestone issue of it, yes. It felt so special back in the day, as a kid, like I really had something. 

On 12/1/2023 at 12:49 PM, Happy Noodle Boy said:

When I was a kid, most of my knowledge of silver-age Spidey came from the Pocket Books reprints, and Marvel Tales. I feel quite a lot of nostalgia for the Marvel Tales run of Spidey reprints, and I'm considering putting a run of them together, but I remember there was a period of time when some misguided editor was replacing the 1960's references with at the time contemporary references. I remember being very annoyed when Aunt May referred to The Dukes of Hazard in one issue, for example. Is there a Marvel Tales run reprinting Spider-Man from AF15 on up that is completely faithful to the originals, with no missing panels or pages, and no altered captions or dialogue?

Invest in the Taschen hardcover. You will NOT be disappointed.