• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to spot an ebay scammer ?
3 3

27 posts in this topic

I got a message from a potential ebay buyer who has ebay account from 2021 and no feedback or purchases/sales that stated:

Hello I’m interested in this book but 647 would like to see it if 960 possible. I’m in the 0343 west end of Toronto. Thanks his name

Is this a scammer? I don't believe ebay allows a person to see the comic in person before purchasing as then you would just do a private deal...

Also if you have any other tips on how to spot a scammer let me know

Thanks!!

Why would it be a scam if they want to physically see the comic in person? It's not like they're taking the comic for free. If you're afraid that they might come packing and jack it from you on the street, meet up at a police station or in a mall or something. If you don't want to deal with meet-ups, don't offer pick-up as an option.

As for eBay policy, yeah, they don't want you to be conducting business outside of eBay, so technically, it would not be allowed, and chances are, a lot of text from either party will be censored in the messages (likely the address), which you two will not be aware of. Or if eBay catches you trying to slide in some deets, they might give you an infraction or warning.

I'd just play by the book and tell the person to pay for it first, and then they can pick-up.

well if he had 100% feedback and a dozen purchases or sales i'd be less skeptical :) I'm also not even offering local pick-up on this listing but I guess he saw I was local. Police station is a great idea thanks

On 12/3/2023 at 1:16 PM, marf said:

well if he had 100% feedback and a dozen purchases or sales i'd be less skeptical :) I'm also not even offering local pick-up on this listing but I guess he saw I was local. Police station is a great idea thanks

Agreed- if it's all legit he'll happily meet at a police station and tell him it's a cash deal.  

On 12/3/2023 at 11:54 AM, marf said:

I got a message from a potential ebay buyer who has ebay account from 2021 and no feedback or purchases/sales that stated:

Hello I’m interested in this book but 647 would like to see it if 960 possible. I’m in the 0343 west end of Toronto. Thanks his name

Is this a scammer? I don't believe ebay allows a person to see the comic in person before purchasing as then you would just do a private deal...

Thanks!!

The zero feedback could mean that this is what he does, arrange local meetups to buy directly.  If so, I suspect that getting you to meet him would just be step one in a negotiation strategy.  Once you put that skin in the game of showing up with the book, he may try to negotiate price pretty hard from there.   

I'm not saying this is a good idea or not, but what would be the scam? 

other than not strictly following ebay's terms of service or the tax requirements of the Crown.

I guess there's the possibility of being robbed and/or murdered for your comic - but that seems more serious than "scamming".

Or the possibility that he tries to negotiate you down further in person - but that seems less serious than "scamming" (although seriously annoying).  

This seems pretty far from an "ebay scammer", so on that front you're probably good.

The vast majority of scams involve greed-- the buyer offers you some ridiculous price for something to make you afraid of missing the deal.   

For me, I don't care if we live on the same street, if you buy something through eBay from me it goes through the US Mail and there is no FTF interactions, ever, period.

On 12/4/2023 at 1:07 PM, AndyFish said:

The vast majority of scams involve greed-- the buyer offers you some ridiculous price for something to make you afraid of missing the deal.   

For me, I don't care if we live on the same street, if you buy something through eBay from me it goes through the US Mail and there is no FTF interactions, ever, period.

This all the way.

I've sold cars and car parts locally through Craig's List or the WantAdvertiser, large, expensive items that pretty much require in person inspection, but anything I list on ebay stays on ebay. I don't have time or desire to save some knucklehead $5-10 on postage on a freakin' comic book or collectible even if they're going to hand me cash.

No feedback or purchases after 2 years is a bit odd. Maybe he's looking to mug the OP. Probably farfetched, but stories like that do occasionally turn up in the news.

On 12/3/2023 at 12:54 PM, marf said:

Thanks!!

I'm curious what the value of the item is.

Offer pics, if he's serious he'll accept them.

Anyway, avoid meeting. Just follow the eBay rules. Never know what he's wanting to do.

eBay has a huge audience, you don't need the one guy who wants to inconvenience you.

Edited by Sigur Ros

On 12/4/2023 at 12:24 PM, revat said:

I'm not saying this is a good idea or not, but what would be the scam? 

other than not strictly following ebay's terms of service or the tax requirements of the Crown.

I guess there's the possibility of being robbed and/or murdered for your comic - but that seems more serious than "scamming".

Or the possibility that he tries to negotiate you down further in person - but that seems less serious than "scamming" (although seriously annoying).  

This seems pretty far from an "ebay scammer", so on that front you're probably good.

There have definitely been cases of in-person theft/mugging in the past, albeit not necessarily with comics.

Back when the PS5 and GPUs around that time were just released, there were many cases in the news of people meeting up with others to buy their (scalped/upcharged) items, and then robbing them armed or with a group.

Of course, that's not nearly as prevalent nowadays, but there is always that possibility with high priced items.

Thus, whether it is eBay or Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace or whatever, any sufficiently expensive item sold in-person should be done in a location with other people around, or with surveillance.

Meet him at a police station. Seems normal, maybe he thinks he can slickly talk you down in person? Not that odd but something I almost never do. Toronto police stations have these "Sales and Exchange Zones for online sale" areas for these kind of things.

Edited by Jimmy Linguini

On 12/7/2023 at 1:22 PM, Jimmy Linguini said:

Meet him at a police station. Seems normal, maybe he thinks he can slickly talk you down in person? Not that odd but something I almost never do. Toronto police stations have these "Sales and Exchange Zones for online sale" areas for these kind of things.

OK, sorry this is off-topic, but I didn't realize until now that @Jimmy Linguini and @Jack Linguini are two different people. hm

Hello, I once sold a comic on eBay. I live in Queens and the buyer in Manhattan. The buyer said to me, your postage is to high, just go the corner of 67 street and Broadway and meet my husband and give him the comic. When I asked her about my time and having to take the train, she told me not my problem. I refused and she gave me a negative. When I complained to E-bay they looked at the e-mails we sent back and forth and actually removed her negative.

She then sent me a LOAD of cussword's and insults and then they just shut off her account. 

On 12/7/2023 at 3:22 PM, Jimmy Linguini said:

They do? I swear I've never seen them before in my entire life. Must be a downtown-only thing.