• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transporting 130 short boxes across the country
5 5

54 posts in this topic

On 3/30/2024 at 7:39 PM, Lightning55 said:

So each crate holds 16 short boxes? How were they able to lift those for stacking? Just manpower? 

And just pushing them around and up the ramp. Ugh. I don't see any wheels.

image.png.9a977640513c8f1465613397e8ad701a.png

This is a tough one. I'd recommend that you palletize everything and shrinkwrap that mutha to Hell and get Harbor Freight or someone to take it. The boxes stay stationary during transit. I think you can do 40-50 boxes per pallet. Have them pick them up and take 'em to your new home. 

Barring that it just gets difficult. But off the top of my head:

You're looking at 2,500 miles, probably 4 days travel. Rent a U-Haul. 3 nights minimum Hotel, Motel (Holiday Inn :banana:). 

In the event that you can't do it yourself I have three ideas:

1. How about hiring someone on the Boards here to drive it? Maybe a Boardie that could use the extra cash. Even if they are not located in exact city you fly them or train them to where they need to be. Just pay for their time.

2. Contact AppleOne Employment services. Perhaps they would have someone ready for a temp assignment like this.

3. Find a student (preferably football) who attends SDSU and is making the trip to their home in NC. Maybe right now they are planning on flying but they could make some money doing this. You could throw this on the SDSU Bulletin Boards.

On 3/31/2024 at 2:34 AM, Kramerica said:

This is a tough one. I'd recommend that you palletize everything and shrinkwrap that mutha to Hell and get Harbor Freight or someone to take it. The boxes stay stationary during transit. I think you can do 40-50 boxes per pallet. Have them pick them up and take 'em to your new home. 

Barring that it just gets difficult. But off the top of my head:

You're looking at 2,500 miles, probably 4 days travel. Rent a U-Haul. 3 nights minimum Hotel, Motel (Holiday Inn :banana:). 

In the event that you can't do it yourself I have three ideas:

1. How about hiring someone on the Boards here to drive it? Maybe a Boardie that could use the extra cash. Even if they are not located in exact city you fly them or train them to where they need to be. Just pay for their time.

2. Contact AppleOne Employment services. Perhaps they would have someone ready for a temp assignment like this.

3. Find a student (preferably football) who attends SDSU and is making the trip to their home in NC. Maybe right now they are planning on flying but they could make some money doing this. You could throw this on the SDSU Bulletin Boards.

You're a bit late with the suggestions. Months late. The move is in progress as you can see by the photos in his update.

On 3/30/2024 at 9:41 PM, shadroch said:

Do you get to keep the crates?  They look like they could be repurposed into a nice shed.

Yes, I could keep the crates.  Very well built.

I forgot to mention - because of the weight of each crate (about 450lbs counting the crate + 16 short boxes) we had two methods for loading. The first 4 crates were loaded and sealed in my garage then rolled up a ramp into the truck. You can see it in one of the pictures.   The last 4 crates were empty, lifted by hand and placed in the truck on top of the first 4 crates.  The short boxes were then loaded into the crates directly on the truck.  For unloading at the destination we unpacked all the crates while they sat on the truck. 

On 3/30/2024 at 8:26 PM, jdraheim said:

Here's an update on my move across country.  I had 135 short boxes (about 14,000 comics) and needed them to be carefully packed and shipped for our move from California to North Carolina.  I hired National Van Lines and their local rep in Valencia, CA built me 8 large wooden crates.  I could fit 16 short boxes into each crate.  I specified the dimensions of the crates so that the boxes would only stack 2 tall.  I wrapped each  short box in plastic packing wrap which helped prevent them from sliding - and with packing blankets wedged in there they were very secure.  The cates were added into the truck along with our furniture and other belongings.  I supervised the loading and unloading of the comics.  Everything went great!  All comics arrived safely.  It was a little costly.  I think it added $4,000 - $5,000 to my move but having collected these comics for close to 50 years I gladly paid it.  

IMG_0526.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

IMG_0530.jpg

IMG_0531.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

This is good to know.  I had no idea they built custom crates for you to load stuff into.  Thanks for coming back and posting the update with the info as I may be making a move later this year or early next year.  The only downside is how much extra the custom boxes and the comics added to the move.

How are the boxes put together?  Using screws or nails?  And how the heck are those boxes stored on the truck?  They look like they're floating.  Was Dr. Strange involved in this move?  Maybe adjustable "racks" that hold the boxes up, but are underneath and can't be seen?

On 4/1/2024 at 2:22 PM, Telegan said:

This is good to know.  I had no idea they built custom crates for you to load stuff into.  Thanks for coming back and posting the update with the info as I may be making a move later this year or early next year.  The only downside is how much extra the custom boxes and the comics added to the move.

How are the boxes put together?  Using screws or nails?  And how the heck are those boxes stored on the truck?  They look like they're floating.  Was Dr. Strange involved in this move?  Maybe adjustable "racks" that hold the boxes up, but are underneath and can't be seen?

I think that last pic is upside down : )

Man, I had to do something akin to this when I retrieved my comic collection after 30 years from my mom's house and had to get it to my house in another state.  Not 130 short boxes, but it was about 18.  I had 4 days to clear out my stuff, and literally just took them to a local shipping company and said "how can you ship me this?"  I knew nothing about grading or CGC at the time.  Most of the books were in bags.  In retrospect, it's a miracle they weren't all completely trashed when they got to me, but that company did a nice job.