• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Closed
1 1

17 posts in this topic

Opening Bid is $ 25.00

Buy it Now is $ 350.00 includes shipping 

Will include shipping if bid exceeds 200.00

PayPal, Check, M.O

Auction ends 12/14/23 at 9 PM Eastern time.

Fun Fact:

#1 is difficult to find, #2 is really easy to come by although DTA has the only copy of #1 (a 7ish) on eBay 

Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 4.20.24 PM.jpeg

Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 4.20.50 PM.jpeg

Edited by Courageous Cat

Question too. Any of you ever see a copy of the sampler edition of Doctor Weird? Predates issue #1  produced without a number or date, held with a single staple.

IMG_1270.jpeg.6786b511ef7a27cfcf1e3d82620365e3.jpeg

Edited by N e r V

On 12/14/2023 at 7:54 AM, N e r V said:

Question too. Any of you ever see a copy of the sampler edition of Doctor Weird? Predates issue #1  produced without a number or date, held with a single staple.

IMG_1270.jpeg.6786b511ef7a27cfcf1e3d82620365e3.jpeg

no, sir, not I. Wonder if that could be considered Jims first published work

On 12/14/2023 at 12:47 PM, Courageous Cat said:

no, sir, not I. Wonder if that could be considered Jims first published work

I’m pretty sure Doctor Weird #1 is not his first published work although I’ve seen it listed as such. I have some fanzine work by him in the previous year at least from 1969. I’d have to look to see what issue(s).

On 12/14/2023 at 1:47 PM, N e r V said:

I’m pretty sure Doctor Weird #1 is not his first published work although I’ve seen it listed as such. I have some fanzine work by him in the previous year at least from 1969. I’d have to look to see what issue(s).

Mycomicshop had a copy of the sample issue up for sale in the last year or so. I was buying a bunch of late 60s/early 70s fanzines and decided to wait for it on the next order. It was gone soon after that. As far as Starlin work, he did multiple stories in Star Studded Comics (some featuring Doctor Weird) before the Doctor Weird #1 came out. He also did a really cool The Eagle title for the Texas Trio guys at around the same time.

On 12/14/2023 at 2:12 PM, boomtown said:

Mycomicshop had a copy of the sample issue up for sale in the last year or so. I was buying a bunch of late 60s/early 70s fanzines and decided to wait for it on the next order. It was gone soon after that. As far as Starlin work, he did multiple stories in Star Studded Comics (some featuring Doctor Weird) before the Doctor Weird #1 came out. He also did a really cool The Eagle title for the Texas Trio guys at around the same time.

Yeah, that’s it. I got some of those.

@N e r V @boomtown

I accidentally came across this closed sale thread but the topic of subsequent discussion is of interest to me. I have never seen the Doctor Weird sampler, but I believe Star Studded 7 is JS's "first" published work. This according to Al Milgrom, who believed anything earlier would have been in their high school's magazines (Berkley HS). Here's my collection of Starlin 'zines including a DW1 that needs a signature that I've apparently never added to my albums. Starlin did not remember having been asked to sign the Fantastic Exploits before. He said the Eagle led to his discharge from the military. I think the sampler is the first of the Dr. Weird books, but they all seem to have come out in the same year. Still on the search for the sampler

DoctorWeird-1.jpg