• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If I had to guess, I'm going with restoration removal
4 4

50 posts in this topic

On 12/18/2023 at 10:59 AM, Badger said:

Totally agree. CGC should state both grades on the green label and and "estimation" of the unrestored grade. That would help pricing restored books tremendously and would hopefully stop some of the wild variations I've seen in pricing.

I think it's far easier to estimate a reimagined grade with Qualified books than it is for Restored books for the reason that you're basically just removing one defect. 

With Restored books, that's much harder to figure out because the resto hides a lot of what was underneath it and therefore there is some more risk there, so I understand why CGC would be reluctant to estimate an unrestored grade. That risk is really is where the flippers play their game. They're willing to gamble for the win, but as they say big risk, big reward. 

FWIW, I've only ever had resto removed from 2 or maybe 3 books ever, tops. It's not something I really dabble in.

On 12/18/2023 at 12:53 PM, VintageComics said:

I think it's far easier to estimate a reimagined grade with Qualified books than it is for Restored books for the reason that you're basically just removing one defect. 

With Restored books, that's much harder to figure out because the resto hides a lot of what was underneath it and therefore there is some more risk there, so I understand why CGC would be reluctant to estimate an unrestored grade. That risk is really is where the flippers play their game. They're willing to gamble for the win, but as they say big risk, big reward. 

FWIW, I've only ever had resto removed from 2 or maybe 3 books ever, tops. It's not something I really dabble in.

I have 2 books that I really should get the conservation removed but I am too "afeared" as they say.:fear:I had removed two tear seals on an internal page that did not affect the grade one way or the other but that is as far as I have gone with removal. Not saying I never will have color touch removed but I haven't yet.

You are right about the difficulty to predict a grade after restoration removal. That is why I say they could put an "estimated" grade with their usual caveats about how their grades do not mean anything.;)

On 12/18/2023 at 2:17 PM, Badger said:

You are right about the difficulty to predict a grade after restoration removal. That is why I say they could put an "estimated" grade with their usual caveats about how their grades do not mean anything.;)

I can also understand why CGC wouldn't want to 'guess' or estimate a grade. It would make them look bad if someone proved them wrong and I could see customers arguing over it if someone got a better 'Universal' grade than was originally estimated on the book. Too much room for error. 

On 12/16/2023 at 11:02 PM, Paul © ® 💙™ said:

FWIW I completely agree with both of these points.

In this world image appears to be everything, and the Purple label got the bad rap and the bad rep, and as such label chasers assigned their own personal label of snobbery to a restored book.

I also agree that the damage is done now and that trying to incorporate one colour label to all books with notations would cause uproar amongst the hipster flippers.

Personally it would not bother me and I would welcome it.

The whole label game is a bit of a farce anyway when you consider that a book with a smidge of glue might get a purple one day and a blue the next by different graders who may possibly have skipped breakfast that day.

Hi Paul, anybody know what the deal with this really is? I'm talking glue. I've seen many books that say something like "Small amount of glue........" , some are Blue Label, some Purple.

There is a Dynamic Comics 11 Purple on e bay right now that is a good example. It's a "policy" of CGC I never understood. To me it shouldn't be considered resto or at least enough to warrant a purple label. Tape doesn't, why should glue? 

On 2/19/2024 at 11:44 AM, Professor K said:

There is a Dynamic Comics 11 Purple on e bay right now that is a good example. It's a "policy" of CGC I never understood. To me it shouldn't be considered resto or at least enough to warrant a purple label. Tape doesn't, why should glue? 

I'm afraid you're mistaken about tape not garnering a PLOD.  I have this book listed in the Market Forum, with the Purple Label stating; "tear seals to cover." They are not visible.

On 2/19/2024 at 7:44 PM, Professor K said:

Hi Paul, anybody know what the deal with this really is? I'm talking glue. I've seen many books that say something like "Small amount of glue........" , some are Blue Label, some Purple.

It's one of the great grading inconsistencies. Blue one minute, purple or green the next.

Is there a clear policy? Not from what I've seen.....unless the policy is 'keep 'em guessing '

Feel there is a bit of snobbery when it comes to restoration....Is restoration looked down up so much in other collectibles e.g. fine art ? 

If you can afford blue label golden age books - including grails - good for you. But how many can do that? Surely even some of the biggest fish can't do blue all the way to the highest echelons of GA collecting (i.e. Batman 1/Tec 27). Surely 99.9% of collectors have financial ceilings and the only way to get through to books you want is to accept green or purple labels? Or go without....

Some of my favourite books aren't blue label. But I like them all the same and would prefer them over low grade blue labels personally.

DetectiveComics(225).thumb.jpg.9527fdee62fea4a659e8f899882686ea.jpgDetectiveComics(114).thumb.jpg.6ca6ec0ed2e415329f6459450c2b6f4d.jpg

Detective Comics (73).jpg

Batman (7).jpg

Edited by lm1589

On 2/20/2024 at 7:11 PM, lm1589 said:

Some of my favourite books aren't blue label. But I like them all the same and would prefer them over low grade blue labels.

I'll take a slight restored mid-grade copy with nice eye appeal over a low grade universal any day... (thumbsu

Does anyone know where the line is drawn on 'restoration'. Every single one of mine that has restoration mentioned has been given purple label . 

But this Batman 14: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/116047850570?

has 'restoration' noted but blue label....

It's from the 'DC Universe Collection'. A complete set of Batmans which I viewed before slabbing at Sotherbys. Seems they all got graded and every other book from 1-16 got a purple label: https://pbagalleries.com/auctions/catalog/id/666

But this one was spared....

No takers so far and price being dropping - so can't help but think the word 'restoration' affects the value even if blue label. Plus it's from a collection of restored books so does this have 'negative pedigree' ?!

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by lm1589