• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"A World He Never Made!"
1 1

15 posts in this topic

What the heck does this mean?

I've seen it a whole bunch of times proclaimed on Marvel covers as if it was some ancient proverb laden with tremendous philosophical import. Did Stan just make it up off the top of his head? Of course "he" (the Hulk, Howard the Duck, the Silver Surfer, whoever) never "made" the world. The world was created by cosmic forces. Seriously: every time I see this line I'm befuddled. What does it mean?

According to Google:

It's a literary reference to a line in the A.E. Houseman poem "The Laws of God, the Laws of Man":

...I, a stranger and afraid

In a world I never made....

Marvel has long been known for their allusions to classic poetry.

Most of us live in a world we have made for ourselves.  We choose where to live; we pick the people we associate with, the causes we support, and what we watch and listen to.  People would be surprised how much their past decisions have designed their present.  These days, your past even affects the news stories and ads you receive.

Being ripped out of that protective womb and cast into foreign situations like a fish out of water is being in a world you didn't make.  I associate it more with Gulliver's Travel and Robinson Caruso than Marvel.

On 12/16/2023 at 9:29 AM, shadroch said:

Most of us live in a world we have made for ourselves.  We choose where to live; we pick the people we associate with, the causes we support, and what we watch and listen to.  People would be surprised how much their past decisions have designed their present.  These days, your past even affects the news stories and ads you receive.

Being ripped out of that protective womb and cast into foreign situations like a fish out of water is being in a world you didn't make.  I associate it more with Gulliver's Travel and Robinson Caruso than Marvel.

The entitled brats of the latest generations feel that they are trapped in a world that they never made and continue to make bad decisions that insure they stay where they are at.

I usually think of or recall this statement as "Trapped In a World He Never Made." To me it's like a fish out of water.

The hero is trapped (as many of us feel everyday) in a world they must struggle to survive through. 

Excellent explanations about Marvel lifting from poetry and literature in this link about MARVEL'S HISTORY OF QUOTING POETRY IN ITS COMIC BOOKS.

In the next issue, the Howard the Duck feature by Gerber and Brunner (with Tom Palmer now on inks) opens by describing Howard as a "strange fowl in a stranger land"...

This is a reference to the Robert Heinlen novel, Stranger in a Strange Land...

Which, in turn, is a reference to Exodus 2:22 in the Bible, “And she bare him a son, and he called his name Gershom: for he said, I have been a stranger in a strange land.”

That story led to Howard getting his own ongoing series, and the tagline for the book, right there on the cover, was "Trapped in a world he never made"...

The line is from the A.E. Housman poem, "The Laws of God, the Laws of Man"....

Obviously, "trapped" is added, but the gist is there. And so now you know the origins of Howard the Duck's famous tagline!

Edited by bronze_rules

On 12/16/2023 at 2:36 PM, bronze_rules said:

I usually think or recall this statement as "Trapped In a World He Never Made." To me it's like a fish out of water.

The hero is trapped (as many of us feel everyday) in a world they must struggle to survive through. 

That’s the tagline for Howard the Duck 

IMG_9576.jpeg.5ac1f929cd1f8453e7a7912edfa2c8d3.jpeg