• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,030 posts in this topic

On 1/2/2024 at 12:33 AM, sledgehammer said:

This comic sold for $2,500 in 2018.

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/1221671001/

What makes you think that additionally attaching the MVS to a book that has had page 10 (without the MVS) glued back in to it, will deter someone from buying it??

Haven't you ever seen a book that somebody actually glued a MVS back in to?

The hell are you on about?  I never remotely implied anything to do with anyone gluing an MVS back into a book. Your questions don't make sense, take a deep breath and try again.

On 1/1/2024 at 8:37 AM, sledgehammer said:

I've seen a qualified .5 book before. people keep saying that, but there are qualified books for every grade on GPA.

But the submitter can decide whether they prefer a blue or green label.  And for any book in poor condition and having received a 0.5 grade, the submitter might as well choose the blue label, don't you think, since it's not a book that would receive a higher numerical grade going green rather than blue?

Edited by namisgr

On 1/1/2024 at 7:40 AM, Steven Valdez said:
On 1/1/2024 at 7:33 AM, sledgehammer said:

This comic sold for $2,500 in 2018.

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/1221671001/

What makes you think that additionally attaching the MVS to a book that has had page 10 (without the MVS) glued back in to it, will deter someone from buying it??

Haven't you ever seen a book that somebody actually glued a MVS back in to?

The hell are you on about?  I never remotely implied anything to do with anyone gluing an MVS back into a book. Your questions don't make sense, take a deep breath and try again.

Didn't you just ask why someone would want to buy that page??

On 1/2/2024 at 12:37 AM, sledgehammer said:

I've seen a qualified .5 book before. people keep saying that, but there are qualified books for every grade on GPA.

Why are you quoting me as saying things I never said? Such as:

On 1/1/2024 at 6:31 PM, Steven Valdez said:

It's a blue label sporting a 'poor' grade.  That's why it's got a blue label.  Also irrelevant to anything happening here.

I did not say that, and if you did you need to sober up. Makes no sense, bud.

On 1/1/2024 at 7:44 AM, Steven Valdez said:
On 1/1/2024 at 7:37 AM, sledgehammer said:

Why are you quoting me as saying things I never said? Such as:

On 1/1/2024 at 1:31 AM, Steven Valdez said:

It's a blue label sporting a 'poor' grade.  That's why it's got a blue label.  Also irrelevant to anything happening here.

I did not say that, and if you did you need to sober up. Makes no sense, bud.

In my post, it's not you saying that.

No need for the personal attacks.

On 1/1/2024 at 2:16 AM, migmtl76 said:

There are a few eBay sellers that always have Hulk 181s, ASM 300s and other big keys for sale like on an almost weekly basis. I wonder what they are really doing. 

Being smart?  If there’s anything like a sure bet in making money in this hobby, these two books are it.

On 1/2/2024 at 12:42 AM, sledgehammer said:

No, I wondered why someone had several of them for sale. I gather that whoever buys them does so to have a have a piece of an historic comic... simple as that.

Where did you get all that BS about people gluing them back into the comic??? You are off your face.... I get that it's probably still New Years Eve wherever you are, but I think you've had enough B|

Edited by Steven Valdez

On 1/2/2024 at 12:37 AM, sledgehammer said:

I'm saying it's NOT a qualified label! It's a blue label, understand?? Holy... (:

Edited by Steven Valdez

On 1/1/2024 at 7:48 AM, Steven Valdez said:
On 1/1/2024 at 7:42 AM, sledgehammer said:

No, I wondered why someone had several of them for sale. I gather that whoever buys them does so to have a have a piece of an historic comic... again, what the Hell is wrong with you?

Where did you get all that BS about people gluing them back into the comic??? You are off your face.... I get that it's New Year, but I think you've had enough B|

You're a clown. GPA is loaded with qualified sales of marrying pages back in to IH 181.

You need to manner up, doofus. Later.

Edited by sledgehammer

On 1/2/2024 at 12:51 AM, sledgehammer said:

You're a clown. GPS is loaded with qualified sales of marrying pages back in to IH 181.

You need to manner up, doofus. Later.

So what if it is? I never once mentioned or implied the prospect of 'marrying', YOU did. Go sleep it off.

Edited by Steven Valdez

On 1/2/2024 at 12:46 AM, sledgehammer said:

In my post, it's not you saying that.

No need for the personal attacks.

Right, but you call me a 'clown' and a 'doofus' after you made a bunch of accusatory comments about things I never said or even vaguely implied or considered ...  you're on ignore. Maybe after you've slept off your big night you can come back and apologise.

Edited by Steven Valdez

On 1/2/2024 at 12:48 AM, RonS2112 said:

Being smart?  If there’s anything like a sure bet in making money in this hobby, these two books are it.

I think the question there is how does the guy have a seemingly inexhaustible supply of those particular keys (and others)?

On 1/1/2024 at 9:04 AM, Steven Valdez said:

I think the question there is how does the guy have a seemingly inexhaustible supply of those particular keys (and others)?

1.  Invest some money in a few IH 181's and ASM 300's, making sure to buy low.

2.  Sell high.

3.  Go to Step 1.

On 1/1/2024 at 7:40 AM, namisgr said:

But the submitter can decide whether they prefer a blue or green label.  And for any book in poor condition and having received a 0.5 grade, the submitter might as well choose the blue label, don't you think, since it's not a book that would receive a higher numerical grade going green rather than blue?

I don’t fully understand the nuance of green versus qualified blue, it seems to imply 2 different numerical grades. But the submitter gets to choose? Are they presented with both numbers and then given the choice after it is graded? Can you request a reholder from one to the other after the fact? Is this another avenue for some monkey business too? 

On 1/1/2024 at 7:40 AM, namisgr said:
On 1/1/2024 at 7:37 AM, sledgehammer said:

Yea, I have no idea why he made such a big deal about seeing a .5 Blue label for sale with no stamp, but i wish to god he manages to find some joy in life.

It seems like he can't figure out who said what, in a post where I quoted both of you, so I don't have high hopes for him.

On 1/2/2024 at 1:17 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

I don’t fully understand the nuance of green versus qualified blue, it seems to imply 2 different numerical grades. But the submitter gets to choose? Are they presented with both numbers and then given the choice after it is graded? Can you request a reholder from one to the other after the fact? Is this another avenue for some monkey business too? 

Indeed... why would anyone NOT request a blue label on an incomplete book if that's an option? Seems not to be quite right.

On 1/2/2024 at 1:13 AM, RonS2112 said:

1.  Invest some money in a few IH 181's and ASM 300's, making sure to buy low.

2.  Sell high.

3.  Go to Step 1.

That's true, just wonder how he's been able to source a steady stream of them non-stop at the right price for at least 10 years now. Good luck to him!

Wow!!!!!

I saw a .5 blue label IH 181 with a page missing!!!!!

Oh yea, there are blue label .5s with the cover missing.

nevermind.

lmfao.

On 1/1/2024 at 12:16 AM, migmtl76 said:

There are a few eBay sellers that always have Hulk 181s, ASM 300s and other big keys for sale like on an almost weekly basis. I wonder what they are really doing. 

You’re describing dealers. This is what they do… they happen to move a lot of books like IH181 and ASM300 because those are very common books that have a high enough price tag still to be worthwhile to flip. Dealers have bought and sold those two books in bunches since before CGC was even around. It’s much more suspicious if a dealer was flipping books with low census numbers every week… if you told me they just happened to have bunches of Action1’s listed on eBay every week, then yeah that would sound a bit suspicious.