• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,028 posts in this topic

On 2/23/2024 at 1:10 PM, sledgehammer said:

I think that it is a different inner well, with the same label.

I was thinking that the sticker going from blue to silver indicated a holder change.  But that's probably on the inner well also.  

On 2/23/2024 at 1:27 PM, Nick Furious said:

I was thinking that the sticker going from blue to silver indicated a holder change.  But that's probably on the inner well also.  

understood, sure. There's no way we can make a call yet, on whether it was a scammer that put that inner well in that holder, or it was CGC. Things need to become a lot more transparent for us to do that.

(thumbsu

Edited by sledgehammer

The 5.5, fantastic four, number 48, that comicwiz found, also looked to have been the same label, with a different inner well. I don't think that that one was a third generation re-holder either.

So obviously, the questions for CGC, just continue to mount.

Edited by sledgehammer

On 2/23/2024 at 1:50 PM, EastEnd1 said:

CGC needs to explain this one.  If it wasn't a reholder situation, then the doomsday scenario we discussed early on of straight swaps has become more real... and with a pricey silver book to boot.

Straight swaps were already confirmed by CGC in their lawsuit. 

On 2/23/2024 at 1:52 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

Have you had any luck finding a donor book? In the case of DD #1, I assume the donor was slabbed and likely sold not that far in advance of when the switch appeared. Or is that a bad assumption?

I'm needing to circle back to these at a later time, it's quite the process to even find these. A far more extraordinary excercise to match to a donor. I was able to do it for some (Project Green to Blue). But that is the plan. Lots to still go through. 

On 2/23/2024 at 1:58 PM, Nick Furious said:

Since this was a reholder through CGC, I'm wondering why they wouldn't have caught it in their investigation and put it on the list.  

There are a lot of questions I too have. Like, as I was passing through books from this stretch between August 2018 to January 2018, there were a number of books on the impacted list. How did these UNLISTED ones get missed?

Edited by comicwiz

On 2/23/2024 at 2:10 PM, sledgehammer said:

I think that it is a different inner well, with the same label.

If you look at the weld on the label (under the CGC Hologram) it is in a different spot between the two books - so I think that is a new label - which implies a reholder - but as you said in a different post, no way to really make the call yet.

On 2/23/2024 at 3:18 PM, BrashL said:

Straight swaps were already confirmed by CGC in their lawsuit. 

True, they did admit to one from what I recall from reading the complaint, with little detail.  What comicwiz is finding though makes it potentially a lot more pervasive than what CGC disclosed.  And demonstrates that the straight swap activity reaches back to 2018 (so far) and includes silver keys.  That's a lot of interim years of potential straight swaps involving higher value books.

On 2/23/2024 at 3:48 PM, EastEnd1 said:

True, they did admit to one from what I recall from reading the complaint, with little detail.  What comicwiz is finding though makes it potentially a lot more pervasive than what CGC disclosed.  And demonstrates that the straight swap activity reaches back to 2018 (so far) and includes silver keys.  That's a lot of interim years of potential straight swaps involving higher value books.

Comicwiz will correct me if I am wrong, but the 3 books he has displayed all may still have been reholdered - I do not think we can conclude that they have not been reholdered.

On 2/23/2024 at 3:52 PM, comicjel said:

Comicwiz will correct me if I am wrong, but the 3 books he has displayed all may still have been reholdered - I do not think we can conclude that they have not been reholdered.

Ok, so potentially the mystery may still only be why these books are not on CGC's reholdered list if they were reholdered and submitted by the scammer.  Perhaps they were submitted to CGC by someone else?

On 2/23/2024 at 2:58 PM, EastEnd1 said:

Ok, so potentially the mystery may still only be why these books are not on CGC's reholdered list if they were reholdered and submitted by the scammer.  Perhaps they were submitted to CGC by someone else?

maybe, but we keep seeing that white carpet background.

On 2/23/2024 at 3:58 PM, EastEnd1 said:

I do not like to mix in too much speculation when Comicwiz is so carful about keeping everything as objective as possible, but I believe the scammer could very well have been scamming through reholdering well before the holders that had the label in a separate section (or custom labels).  It just became easier when the case changed, and the custom labels gave him a better excuse for having more reholders done - but again, this is just my suspicion based on what I am seeing so far.