• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,031 posts in this topic

On 2/4/2024 at 11:40 AM, EastEnd1 said:
On 2/4/2024 at 11:33 AM, topcat54 said:

Paul Lesko

He posted the lawsuit on his Twitter page I think it is close to all of it

The filing is 27 pages in total (comes up when you try to access on PACER).  Don't think he's covered all of it but maybe the most important parts.  

@comix4fun

Do you have access to this, Chris?

On 2/4/2024 at 12:20 PM, topcat54 said:
CGC alleges the Defendants recently became aware that their "fraudulent scheme was unraveling" so Zanello called CGC to "attempt to recover...three comic books that Defendants had recently submitted to CGC for reholdering." There are four calls; they're all recorded.

This would "indirectly" imply that these guys did not have a go-to CGC insider... otherwise they would have had them pull the books - so there is that!

Unless the books were already toxic and being scrutinized by that time.

Edited by comicjel
add to post

On 2/4/2024 at 10:39 AM, sledgehammer said:

No positive ID on her.

But Bill is going to figure out how he found an image on some site that identifies them both on facebook, any minute now.

No, I'm not.  I told you what I did, and the link it sent me to. From there, I've no idea what I clicked to get into the chain.  I found he played rugby for his schools, but I didn't see any individual pictures. I didn't find any current association with any NY-based rugby clubs, which isn't surprising as he is in his forties. From there, I linked a site about song memories.  If you somehow got the impression I was reconstructing my path through the rabbit hole, I apologize. 

I tried looking into some other connections that so far have turned up nothing. 

On 2/4/2024 at 12:39 PM, awakeintheashes said:

Yeah, and I think that’s the Comic Book Station owner taking the selfie. 

This pic is making me think of that photo someone posted a while back from one of Comic Book Station's social media accounts showing comic books displayed next to what appear to be a heat gun and a trimming table...

On 2/4/2024 at 12:52 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

So now that we know the scammers skipped the reholder part of the scam at times, will CGC be issuing a new list?

I guess the question is, will CGC feel any responsibility for the books that were just swapped out without being reholdered??

On 2/4/2024 at 11:43 AM, sledgehammer said:

@comix4fun

Do you have access to this, Chris?

Probably not until I get to the office tomorrow. But I can see if one of my partners went in today 

10 years ago I was at WWNYC. I wanted to get a Hulk book signed, and I said to Rich Buckler “Do you mind if I have CGC witness the signature?”

His reply was “Why do we gotta do that? You know who I am. I know who I am. Isn’t that good enough?”

Of course the point of the CGC witness was to have a certified signature, so that I owned some sort of proof that Buckler actually signed it. That was my thought process back then as a new CGC customer.

This weekend I’ve been thinking about that conversation and the possible tampered SS slabs floating around out there.

I was planning to have Mike Royer sign a Space Ghost book I REALLY like this year….wanted it to be a CGC SS submission. It would be the ‘only’ SS copy on the census. But that census is baloney and tainted. The comfort I have using the SS service is that I’m probably the only guy in the world coveting something like that. But is it even worth the added cost with CGC’s current reputation?

I know who Royer is, and so does he. And that’s definitely good enough.

IMG_3191.jpeg.456a643078994a75f7d94cd26b3f0f00.jpeg

On 2/4/2024 at 1:02 PM, comicjel said:

I guess the question is, will CGC feel any responsibility for the books that were just swapped out without being reholdered??

Knowing the reholdering shenanigans of this submitter, I would think CGC would be held accountable for failing to flag all of their submissions at this point. 

On 2/4/2024 at 12:10 PM, shadroch said:

Can we all  now stop pretending only books submitted for reholstering were infected?

Knowing this, I really hope they have engineers working overtime on a new case design!... and a big push to start loading up more scans in the "verify" module.

Edited by comicjel
add to post

On 2/4/2024 at 12:18 PM, shadroch said:

What's the point in power if you can't abuse it?

Part of my evening prayers for years. Not getting any traction though.