• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about foil lines
1 1

4 posts in this topic

I have a set of the Upper Deck 1999 Spx football that I am considering sending in for grade. Some of the cards have a faint line in the background where during the manufacturing the foiling rolls join together. The cards are immaculate on the surface, corners and all else. My question is will these cards with the lines be hit with a lower grade even though they are manufactured with said line? 

Thanks and Merry Christmas 

• Administrator

Hello @Flufy12345

Thank you for reaching out to us. Manufacturing defects are not uncommon and the graders do take this into account when grading. In general, a manufacturing defect will affect the grade of a card less than any damage that has occurred to the card post-manufacture. The extent to which any manufacturing defect may affect the grade will depend on the type and extent of the defect and determining this requires an in-hand evaluation by the graders. It is important to note that a card with a manufacturing error cannot receive a Pristine 10 grade. 

If you have any other questions, please let us know. 

On 12/27/2023 at 7:06 AM, NickiO CS said:

Hello @Flufy12345

Thank you for reaching out to us. Manufacturing defects are not uncommon and the graders do take this into account when grading. In general, a manufacturing defect will affect the grade of a card less than any damage that has occurred to the card post-manufacture. The extent to which any manufacturing defect may affect the grade will depend on the type and extent of the defect and determining this requires an in-hand evaluation by the graders. It is important to note that a card with a manufacturing error cannot receive a Pristine 10 grade. 

If you have any other questions, please let us know. 

Here is an example same card just one with and without line.

I do understand that it would in no way get a 10. My question is just how hard of a hit would it receive? If card came in without print line an grade 9.5 an same card come in with the line take a hit by .-.5,-1,or -1.5. would like to have an idea before I get my hopes up. Thanks

Only asking for an option based on examples 

Screenshot_20231227-130427~2.png

Screenshot_20231227-125746~2.png

• Administrator

Hello @Flufy12345, unfortunately, customer service is unable to provide how much certain defects will affect the grade of the card. An in-hand evaluation of the card will be necessary to determine the grade (as it is possible there are other defects as well that may affect the grade). We are sorry if this is not the answer you were looking for but thank you for your understanding.

Please let us know if you need help with anything else. Thank you!