• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oh how the times have changed
3 3

62 posts in this topic

I just realized that another thing that's different today is when I started collecting art, not many people (if anyone) were interested in my primary areas of interest, Herb Trimpe Godzilla and Shogun Warriors art. Now there are a lot of interested Godzilla buyers, including dedicated Godzilla collectors who aren't into other comic art, and Shogun Warriors art is going for more than I ever thought I'd see.

"And when Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer."

Hans Gruber - 1988

I think we all get to a point where there is nothing out there to get excited over when we already have most everything that is within our grasp to obtain or have a desire to obtain.   At a certain point this is nothing more than an endless chase of never ending 'stuff'. 

On 12/26/2023 at 12:42 PM, Buzzetta said:

I think we all get to a point where there is nothing out there to get excited over when we already have most everything that is within our grasp to obtain or have a desire to obtain.   At a certain point this is nothing more than an endless chase of never ending 'stuff'. 

Interesting, not the case for me, plenty of pieces that are exciting (art wise), but their prices … not so much.

On 12/27/2023 at 2:42 AM, Buzzetta said:

I think we all get to a point where there is nothing out there to get excited over when we already have most everything that is within our grasp to obtain or have a desire to obtain. 

I've read this sentence several times now and still don't understand it. :baiting:

Edited by tth2

On 12/26/2023 at 11:00 PM, tth2 said:

I've read this sentence several times now and still don't understand it. :baiting:

Neither do I. lol 

What I mean to articulate is basically this using myself as an example. 

I already have everything within my means at this point that I would want to have.   What else is there?  There is stuff I can afford if I really want it, but at the prices they are at, it no longer interests me, or I am throwing money at something just to get something else.   When it comes to comic and art collecting it seems to be a never ending chase for an ever growing list of "stuff." 

On 12/26/2023 at 4:25 AM, gumbydarnit said:

Somehow I stumbled onto ComicartL a yahoo message board run by Gary Land. It had good conversations and you could land art on occasion from various FS postings. I landed two nice pages from a collection that Gary and another collector partnered up to buy. They kept the key A level pages and sold off some nice B level ones (if memory serves me correctly it was from a LCS called Comic Town - I could be wrong). Those were from fun times.

Also, a cool back in the day memory- with eBay being my primary source of art, you could actually see the eBay handle of who was competing against you. The primary outbidder against me was an eBay handle that I eventually found out to be Gary Land. 

The most painful one was a Paul Smith/Terry Austin Marvel Fanfare page featuring Wolverine and Colossus vs Sauron. It was a stunner… when all the auction snippers fired their last shot Gary was the high bidder left standing. I wondered would another 20 or 50 bucks have tipped the scales? He no longer has the page so please don’t bug him, trust me I bugged him enough ; )

Yes I was a eBay sniper back in the day, we were the talk of many “honest bidders” who wanted your high bids cast way before the auction ended so they would have sufficient time to respond with their follow up bid. 

hey that was 3 back in the day memories in one post, not bad.

1. eBay nemesis known via eBay handle

2. ComicartL For Sale postings

3. eBay last second sniper bidding controversy

I started out with onelist before comicart-l and I remember the Comic Town collection. I picked up a sweet George Perez New Teen Titan splash featuring Starfire from the 2nd run.

Edited by Brian Peck

On 12/26/2023 at 11:21 PM, Buzzetta said:

Neither do I. lol 

What I mean to articulate is basically this using myself as an example. 

I already have everything within my means at this point that I would want to have.   What else is there?  There is stuff I can afford if I really want it, but at the prices they are at, it no longer interests me, or I am throwing money at something just to get something else.   When it comes to comic and art collecting it seems to be a never ending chase for an ever growing list of "stuff." 

I liked it.

As Peggy Lee sang: “If that’s all there is, then let’s keep dancing. Just bring on the booze, and have, a ball.”

We are on page two and no one has talked economics.

I play the part of the demographics guy... "We only have a short window before everyone dumps thier collections."

Who's the bubble will pop guy? He usually has a good graph.

Then there's the fininacial guy, who starts saying all the big words that I don't understand.. "Overleveraged... Profit to Earnings Ratio...33 Trillion in Debt... Historically Gold is a where you want to be .. there or Pokemon cards."

Come on get it together!!!

Edited by gumbydarnit

On 12/27/2023 at 7:57 AM, gumbydarnit said:

We are on page two and no one has talked economics.

I play the part of the demographics guy... "We only have a short window before everyone dumps thier collections."

Who's the bubble will pop guy? He usually has a good graph.

Then there's the fininacial guy, who starts saying all the big words that I don't understand.. "Overleveraged... Profit to Earnings Ratio...33 Trillion in Debt... Historically Gold is a where you want to be .. there or Pokemon cards."

Come on get it together!!!

I don’t look at the economy as much as compared to where I personally am along my own timeline.  

Most likely I am retiring in 6.5 years.  There is the off chance I work another year or two but my Christmas present to myself in 2030 is most likely that I am getting up to use the bathroom at work, and going home to do so and never return 😂.

I would like to have a lot more sold and minimized by that point.  Maybe sell off a bunch of books and keep just some things.  Who knows if I stay on LI?

Want to know why my LCS closed?  It has nothing to do with economics.  He was getting older and tired of lifting comic book boxes on new comics day.  I was just in my storage room and moving 25 gallon bins that were far heavier than they should be.  I exercise most every day, 10-20 mile bike rides every day in the warmer weather, I’m not even 50 yet and I said to myself, “What the hell am I doing?”

With that said, I cannot wait to build that new Lego Avengers Tower for my office.  (It’s going on the floor in the corner since it’s over 3ft tall).

Edited by Buzzetta

On 12/26/2023 at 10:07 AM, KirbyCollector said:

Not exactly on point, but your question made me think of one thing which has never changed: Will Gabri-El. He is as nice today as when I first met him 20+ years ago: no fake "persona," no looking down at customers b/c they aren't millionaires, no treating them as if they were stupid. Just a regular guy, which I appreciate the older I get.

I too have been dealing with Will for 20 years and have found him to be a totally straight shooter.

Will represents the "best" of Comic Art Dealers! Even if I'm not so sure that is a positive statement :) 

Edited by MAR1979

On 12/26/2023 at 11:41 AM, gumbydarnit said:

Today, it’s funny to think snipping was such a big deal, but I guess back then it was a new concept, because in the world of bidding in real world auctions the underbidder has the opportunity to up his offer. So bidders brought that mindset to eBay but with that hard auction end, users like me thought, why continue to drive the price up and give other bidders a chance to consider placing a higher bid? I and the others snippers would all throw in their max bid during the last few seconds and see who walks with the piece. It was very jarring to the traditional auction bidders.

The anger was understandable because it was against the norms of the time.

Fast internet has changed sniping. I thought I was sniping on this item back in 2001. I entered my bid 18 seconds before the auction ended! I was one second later than tbirdman11; he probably thought he was sniping, too. I would never bid that early now. Back then, though, waiting any longer would have meant running the risk that the bid wouldn't go through on time.

IMG_20231229_113743704~2.jpg