• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Double Cover with different images and Grading if first cover is removed
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

I couldn't find any past topics that addressed this situation. So IDW released, on purpose, a Photo Variant of Angel After the Fall #9 with a double cover with two different images. The one you see that I've uploaded is the front cover and then the second page is the second cover, but has a different image. Interestingly, for each cover they also have a corresponding back cover as well so you have a double back cover as well (not sure if this is typical with regular double cover comics). If you didn't know this variant had been published with a double cover and I removed the first cover with the second cover exposed it would look just like any other photo variant. My question is if I were to remove the first cover so the inside second cover is exposed and submit it to CGC will the removal of the first cover be considered in the grade and what label would it get?

985501.jpg

• Administrator

Great question! In this case, this book would receive a No Grade designation. Although the book has a second cover, if the variant originally an additional wrap outside of this page (aka the outermost cover) that was removed we would then consider this book incomplete. I hope this helps! Let us know if you have any other questions. 

image.png

On 12/26/2023 at 7:15 AM, MattM CS said:

Great question! In this case, this book would receive a No Grade designation. Although the book has a second cover, if the variant originally an additional wrap outside of this page (aka the outermost cover) that was removed we would then consider this book incomplete. I hope this helps! Let us know if you have any other questions. 

image.png

If I were to get it signed? Would it get a No Grade Yellow Signature Series label?

• Administrator

Great question!

Since the NG (no grade) designation is a grade you could technically get a yellow signature series label. But we would need this in-house to review. I will be honest in my 5 years I haven't seen this happen or be requested, but it is "possible". If you have any other questions about this book specifically, please send me a DM.