• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who here owns some Alex Ross art?

16 posts in this topic

I'm talkin' the real deal stuff. Not a reprint which seems to be selling as well these days. If you own any, post a picture; I'd love to see. I've been looking to see what his art is going for, and no matter what the art is of it seems to be going for no less then about $5000. Am I just seeing the expensive stuff, or is everything Ross going for that? insane.gifinsane.gif

I own three pieces, a full color slightly oversized Medusa painting that is the first of the featured pieces on my (Robert Plunkett) www.comicartfans.com gallery, link: http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=255 It is in the Good Girl Art III gallery and is, officially my favorite piece in my collection. I also have a Spidra drawing in ink that is in Good Girl Art IV and a penciled drawing of Ki that is in the Legends of Genre Art gallery. The latter two are, apparently, character designs and Sal Abbinanti (spelling?) described the Medusa as a "pre Marvel Marvel". I got deals on all three of them.

I have just the one Kingdom Come panel page, as that's all I could afford right now. (in the Sandman - Misc gallery - link below - yeah yeah, it's a tenuous link, but it's the funeral of Wesley Dodds) Maybe someday I can spring for something more! This page is beautiful though. It's rare that a page exceeds my expectations, but when this one arrived, I was blown away.

The good news with Ross is that he has a lot of work on the market, so if you have the funds, you can find something nice.

Wow. My OA goal is to just get one piece from my top artists though, and spend no more than $500. So it's not like I'm looking to actually make an ongoing collection of OA; just 1 Kirby, Ditko, Ayers, Perez, Byrne, Kollins, Kane, Cassady and a few others. I can get all of those for under $500. But it is the dang Ross painting that keep me from doing it!

If you insist on a painting, you're likely to stay frustrated, but Ross has a lot of stuff for well under that price. My two drawings only cost $100 each, in one case I had help but the other was the actual price.

Wow. My OA goal is to just get one piece from my top artists though, and spend no more than $500. So it's not like I'm looking to actually make an ongoing collection of OA; just 1 Kirby, Ditko, Ayers, Perez, Byrne, Kollins, Kane, Cassady and a few others. I can get all of those for under $500. But it is the dang Ross painting that keep me from doing it!

I am saving up for The Cover to Shazam: Power of Hope. Someone, will probably snag that one before I have the duckies for it.

Are there panel pages from this available? I'd love to get a decent panel page.

If you insist on a painting, you're likely to stay frustrated, but Ross has a lot of stuff for well under that price. My two drawings only cost $100 each, in one case I had help but the other was the actual price.

Yeah, its gotta be a painting for me. I can get drawings from anybody. What sets Ross apart from everyone else are the paintings.

I am saving up for The Cover to Shazam: Power of Hope. Someone, will probably snag that one before I have the duckies for it.

Are there panel pages from this available? I'd love to get a decent panel page.

Last I checked yeah. I think the one with the girl who dies is still up for grabs.

I used to have Ross's first published work for DC, which was the cover to Superman: Doomsday and Beyond published in 1992. Beautiful piece, but his style was still forming back then. Ended up using it in a trade.

Currently, I have only one piece of art, which is the following double page spread from Superman: Peace on Earth. In my opinion, his best work is Kingdom Come, Marvels, Superman: POE and Batman: WOC. Also, of course, some of his poster paintings. Of these, Marvels is in my opinion the weakest artistically, but ironically his most important historically. I'd love to get a Batman: WOC page, or a killer KC page eventually.

Anyway, here's my page. These are all stunning in person, with lots of detail. They never look as impressive in scans, unfortunately. I had to scan this in two pieces, because of the size. The stitching wasn't perfect, as you can see.

rosssuperman1.jpg

Is it just me or does this seem petty? On his site I noticed this, "All pieces require an additional $15.00 for P+H which includes insurance."

I mean, really. If someone's spending 2500-15000 you'd think that he could at least cover the shipping. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif