• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Historical convention timeline, help please

5 posts in this topic

I'm trying to pin down some dates, locations, and names of a few conventions I attended as a kid in 1970's California. Help is appreciated.

The first, I just figured out is Bay Con IV, held in San Francisco from July 21-23, 1978. The other two are a mystery. Here is what I remember:

1) In or near San Jose, shortly after release of the Star Wars movie. The dealers room was loaded with promotional "May The Force Be With You" and "Frankly my dear, I don't give a Damn" buttons. Walt Simonson was there, shortly after his Manhunter run at DC. Steve Oliff, the colorist was also there. I think Steve Leialoha was present as well, but not sure about that.

2) In or near San Francisco, after BayCon IV, possibly 1979. May have been at a hotel. I think the dealer's room was on the second floor.

3) Was there a Bay Con 5 or 6? I thought there was, but have found no references to them online.

Thanks for the Bay Con picture Aardvark88. My brother and I are in the center with our table next to the artists Al Gordon and Ken Macklin. I was 17 and he was 20 and we were selling off the collection we had accumulated in New York from the late 60's to the mid Seventies. At that show we sold our FF1 for $500 our Spider-Man 1 for $300 and our Amazing fantasy 15 for $200. As was the custom in those days all three had tape on the spine as we felt that they would last longer with tape and nobody considered that a deal breaker in those days. Shows were a lot more fun then because at least a third of the people would be guys selling off their collections as opposed to now where nearly everybody is a professional dealer. 

On 1/4/2024 at 5:49 PM, Hschwartz said:

Thanks for the Bay Con picture Aardvark88. My brother and I are in the center with our table next to the artists Al Gordon and Ken Macklin. I was 17 and he was 20 and we were selling off the collection we had accumulated in New York from the late 60's to the mid Seventies.

Here is another angle on Bay Con 1978:

415035229_682112567400472_2049823615245181374_n.thumb.jpg.0445f2e9cacfb5e444b6a68d2cbce38e.jpg