• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone of you slueths recognize these two back covers?

4 posts in this topic

These were in a pile of Golden Age I just bought and they don't seem to go with any of them.

If you recognize them please let me know (hopefully to something good)

1st photo is the outside back cover image, 2nd photo is the inside back cover image.

IMG_2375.jpeg

IMG_2376.jpeg

Edited by gadzukes

Are there any dates in the fine print? Someone posted a picture of the Chest Pull ad online saying it was from a 1947 comic (but he didn't say which one).

https://www.oldtimestrongman.com/blog/tag/chest-expanders/

A different online seller has a non-comic version of that particular Schwinn ad listed and says that it dates to 1946.

Bike Ad Link

'46 and '47 weren't big years for keys, so those back covers may not go to anything too exciting.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 1/3/2024 at 5:38 PM, gadzukes said:

These were in a pile of Golden Age I just bought and they don't seem to go with any of them.

If you recognize them please let me know (hopefully to something good)

1st photo is the outside back cover image, 2nd photo is the inside back cover image.

IMG_2375.jpeg

Cow Puncher #1, from January of '47, has an ad that's very close to the chest pull ad but with different colors. You might try other Avon books from '46 and '47.

Wouldn't there potentially be tons of comics with these covers?  Just the back cover of one alone (the "now get bursting strength fast" ad), I've found a lot of them from 1943-1947 :

Cow Puncher #1
Heroic Comics #40
Super Rabbit #8
All New Comics #7
Famous Funnies #149
Daredevil #39
Tip-Top Comics #89
Eerie Comics #1
Famous Funnies #149
Gay Comics #25
Punch and Judy #6
Jingle Jangle #25

etc, etc ... many more just for that back cover.  The inside cover for that back cover I'm guessing would be more difficult to identify since most people don't show the inside back cover, but I'm wondering if the preceding comics probably all or most had the same interior cover.  Not sure how that worked back in the day (or now).