• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC 149
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hello,

This is my very first post on this forum, hope I don't break any rules :-D

I have a few 1940s comics from my grandfather that I'd like to sell, but I don't know if I should get them graded first.

I live in Spain, so grading a comic with CGC is around $200 ($130 of which is shipping back and forth!!), so I don't want to invest in grading them unless it makes sense (also, would grading several comics at the same time cut down on shipping costs?)

Here is an example of the comics I have and the condition they're in, to see what you think.

Thanks in advance for any advice on grading, appraising and selling them,

Alex

IMG_2488.JPG

IMG_2489.JPG

IMG_2490.JPG

It's extremely unlikely (let's say less than a 0.01% chance) that you would maximize your profit by assuming personal responsibility for the sale of your grandfather's collection.  You almost certainly (1) know very little about grading comics, (2) know very little about marketing/selling comics, and (3) are 7600 km away from the location of the book's most likely buyers.  Items (1) and (2) will result in potential bidders/buyers offering you far less than top dollar for your books.  Item (3) will result in a large percent of any sale price going to Correos or USPS.  Now deduct the capital you'll be giving up as a result of selling venue commission (13% on eBaay), international money transfer fee (around 5% via PayPal), and the cost of packaging/shipping supplies.  Lastly, deduct the capital you spend up-front to have any books certified prior to sale (including pressing fees, CGC fees, shipping and return shipping fees, and insurance).  My recommendation?  Consider consigning your grandfather's entire collection to a very experienced/reputable U.S. seller that specializes in vintage comics.  One such seller would be Lone Star Comics aka My Comic Shop (CGC Chat Boards alias @mycomicshop).  Good luck!  :foryou:

On 1/4/2024 at 4:02 PM, scburdet said:

Minimum for grading is a front & back cover. I'd want a centerfold on this one too b/c of the structure

Here are the back cover and the centerforld, thanks a lot.

On 1/4/2024 at 4:02 PM, scburdet said:

IMG_5009.JPG

IMG_5010.JPG

2.5ish. I agree the delta in selling price raw vs. graded is likely to be eaten by fees & shipping in this grade. If you were collecting, I would say grade. Selling, not worth the hassle. 

Sheesh, I didn't think they were in such bad shape :whatthe:. Would pressing them improve the rating at all?

Thanks a lot for your advice. I've contacted Mycomicshop.com to see about consignment and they also told me that the decision to slab them or not would be taken on an individual basis if it made sense.