• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why would this book get a blue and not a purple label?
2 2

9 posts in this topic

Neither Blue Label Universal Grade nor Purple Label Restored Grade.  Books with A-1 type reinforcement (slight, high/professional quality repairs with archival materials) are normally awarded a Blue/Grey Label Conserved Grade.  Since the certification notes identify the grade category as Universal, this would appear to be a Grading Room error (checking the wrong box) rather than an Encapsulation Room error (pulling the wrong color label).

On 1/6/2024 at 11:37 AM, Sauce Dog said:

100% should be a conserved label, but I'm more confused by the fact whoever did the pro work didn't also just reattach the centrefold while they were at it.

I agree this should have been a Conserved label, but don't the notes indicate the centerfold was reattached?  hm

• Administrator

For a book like this, it would be best to e-mail customer service the details.  I would ask if it qualifies for a label defect, be submitted as a ME and be fixed for free.  

On 1/6/2024 at 7:11 PM, The Lions Den said:

I agree this should have been a Conserved label, but don't the notes indicate the centerfold was reattached?  hm

The notes are confusing, it reads to me that it still detached but some work was done on the loose wrap (perhaps a spine split was sealed but the entire wrap left loose?) It's certainly a mystery.

On 1/6/2024 at 9:18 PM, Sauce Dog said:

The notes are confusing, it reads to me that it still detached but some work was done on the loose wrap (perhaps a spine split was sealed but the entire wrap left loose?) It's certainly a mystery.

Sometimes the notes will be from more than one grader. The pre-grader will put their notes in first and then the finalizer will add any notes they feel are relevant.  And in my view, the conservation/restoration notes and the detached centerfold should also be written on the label...  (shrug)