• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2024 New Orleans Fan Expo -- A Report And Review
2 2

41 posts in this topic

On 1/8/2024 at 11:12 AM, blazingbob said:

You are absolutely correct.  Your post and possibly mine will unfortunately "influence" collectors into not going to a show.  I am not badmouthing the show by the way.  I like New Orleans but the economic reality is that it is not profitable.  There is NOTHING emotional about the numbers.  I can't do shows based on HOPE someone shows up to buy what I'm selling.  Multi day events don't treat dealers like celebrities,  they treat dealers as a economic revenue stream to bring in the celebrities.   

Perfectly said.  And the tables weren't cheap -- I think I mentioned that the dealer I bought from said that this tables were substantially higher than what they charged in Charlotte, which to me, is crazy.

I did my last show maybe 6-7 years ago.  It was a more local show, held at a convention center on the West Bank (so not Downtown), and it had dealers that had traveled from out of state.  Almost everyone there was a comic dealer.  It wasn't a huge show by any stretch, but the tables were affordable, the turnout for the two days (Saturday and Sunday) was surprisingly good for a show I don't think was that well advertised, and that featured NO celebrity guests or anything of the sort.  Some of the dealers there got killed -- but they were of the variety of "throw a lot of unbagged junk into boxes, stick a $1 prices label above it, and hope something good happens".  We had the biggest set-up, the best selection, and the best customer service (we were personable and friendly, willing to deal, had everything priced and graded, and we brought a lot of good inventory), and we did fantastic.  So I think the market can support the right kind of show -- maybe.  For a comic dealer, though, I'm not sure this Fan Expo is it -- even if I brought the best of the best of the stuff I own and set up accordingly, I don't know if the audience that attended this show would have been enough to make it worth it, even if I had great items at equally great prices.

Harley was the dealer with the best selection of inventory -- I'd be curious as to how he fared, since I didn't ask him. hm

On 1/8/2024 at 12:31 PM, ChiSoxFan said:

Perfectly said.  And the tables weren't cheap -- I think I mentioned that the dealer I bought from said that this tables were substantially higher than what they charged in Charlotte, which to me, is crazy.

I did my last show maybe 6-7 years ago.  It was a more local show, held at a convention center on the West Bank (so not Downtown), and it had dealers that had traveled from out of state.  Almost everyone there was a comic dealer.  It wasn't a huge show by any stretch, but the tables were affordable, the turnout for the two days (Saturday and Sunday) was surprisingly good for a show I don't think was that well advertised, and that featured NO celebrity guests or anything of the sort.  Some of the dealers there got killed -- but they were of the variety of "throw a lot of unbagged junk into boxes, stick a $1 prices label above it, and hope something good happens".  We had the biggest set-up, the best selection, and the best customer service (we were personable and friendly, willing to deal, had everything priced and graded, and we brought a lot of good inventory), and we did fantastic.  So I think the market can support the right kind of show -- maybe.  For a comic dealer, though, I'm not sure this Fan Expo is it -- even if I brought the best of the best of the stuff I own and set up accordingly, I don't know if the audience that attended this show would have been enough to make it worth it, even if I had great items at equally great prices.

Harley was the dealer with the best selection of inventory -- I'd be curious as to how he fared, since I didn't ask him. hm

I can't remember hearing how Harley did ever at a show - even second hand.  Not sure if he is tight lipped or I just don't talk to the right people.

One that I miss not having on our schedule, but as Bob already said, we are a business and need to make money when taking the time to attend these shows. This one was a minimum 6 day trip including travel days, and the last two times we did we felt we were very lucky to break even or make a few hundred dollars. I do miss seeing our customers in that region and definitely the city. Hoping that show can make a comeback of some kind in the future. 

Edited by AustinReece_GRRC

On 1/8/2024 at 9:47 AM, blazingbob said:

Sorry for my short reply.  I loved doing New Orleans but it was always to travel,  enjoy the local cuisine and hopefully make some money.   

Unfortunately,  I don't make money at the show,  therefore I don't do it.  

If I want to give away $3500 for free I can do that behind my computer and not drive to Louisiana which is what I'm in the hole at minimum to do a show.  
It is nice to see that Fan expo finally is asking their attendees why they are there.  

I would love to see a breakdown of responses to see what percentage of the show is there to buy comics.  

On 1/8/2024 at 1:03 PM, AustinReece_GRRC said:

One that I miss not having on our schedule, but as Bob already said, we are a business and need to make money when taking the time to attend these shows. This one was a minimum 6 day trip including travel days, and the last two times we did we felt we were very lucky to break even or make a few hundred dollars. I do miss seeing our customers in that region and definitely the city. Hoping that show can make a comeback of some kind in the future. 

Do y'all come to Dallas at all? I have noticed maybe the same 6 comic dealers that are the usual, so I assume they get something out of it, while there are only 4 or more that rotate out and or aren't "local" per se.

I was just curious the "climate" of the Dallas area when it comes to comics and cons, or if like New Orleans was on the way out? :shy:

On 1/8/2024 at 1:03 PM, AustinReece_GRRC said:

It would have been nice to see you there (as we've already had great interactions online this past year!), but that makes 100% sense. Hopefully, I'll catch you at a show later this year.  

On 1/8/2024 at 2:34 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Do y'all come to Dallas at all? I have noticed maybe the same 6 comic dealers that are the usual, so I assume they get something out of it, while there are only 4 or more that rotate out and or aren't "local" per se.

I was just curious the "climate" of the Dallas area when it comes to comics and cons, or if like New Orleans was on the way out? :shy:

My plan for this year is to do Bedrock's texas show in Houston.  

On 1/8/2024 at 2:34 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

We set up at the Collector's Summit held at Heritage the last two years. Not your traditional con, but a lot of great books present. 

I have attended very few comicons. I have attended Planet Comicon in Kansas City several times, C2E2 in Chicago twice, and Wizard World Chicago (when there was such a thing). 

I am asking the people that have attended many more comicons than me: which is the best comicon to attend if you are only interested in comic books?

On 1/8/2024 at 2:09 PM, Math Teacher said:

I have attended very few comicons. I have attended Planet Comicon in Kansas City several times, C2E2 in Chicago twice, and Wizard World Chicago (when there was such a thing). 

I am asking the people that have attended many more comicons than me: which is the best comicon to attend if you are only interested in comic books?

What state do you live in?

On 1/8/2024 at 5:09 PM, Math Teacher said:

I'd say Baltimore from my experience. C2E2 isn't bad but that is because Dale and Bob are there so I have a comfort-zone. Used to be better before COVID. 

On 1/8/2024 at 6:39 PM, Math Teacher said:

Iowa, but I am willing to travel (to some degree).

If you are looking for the mega key books then New York Con may be best for you and if you like to hunt through boxes looking for a deal then Heroes is my pick and Baltimore has basically a great mix of everything.  In other words - east coast is the place to be for great comic cons.

On 1/8/2024 at 3:39 PM, Math Teacher said:

Iowa, but I am willing to travel (to some degree).

Hmmm well driving you got C2E2 which I highly recommend.

Flying I would try Heroes Con (NC), Baltimore, and San Diego Comic Con.

SDCC while a giant event the comic section still displays usually the best comics you will see all year.

For one day shows my favorite show of the year is coming up here in soCal (near Disneyland). SoCal Comic con (run by Terry O'Neil).  All comics!  Very old school, and a great social atmosphere.  Its always the bye weekend before the Superbowl.  I would fly from the east coast to attend this one even if I moved out of California. 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 1/8/2024 at 7:23 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Both Baltimore and HeroesCon are excellent comic book shows.

once you get outside of a 2-3 block radius from the Baltimore convention, safety may be a concern so I would choose HeroesCon over Baltimore for that reason

No, and even if you think this, stay at the official hotel.

On 1/10/2024 at 10:45 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Thanks for telling me I’m wrong about how I felt in Baltimore. :tonofbricks:

No problem.(thumbsu