• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My new to me FF 36 just came in the mail…..
4 4

18 posts in this topic

Refund if you have your suspicions. Steep price even for high grade. You may pay CGC quite a fee for them to give the book a Purple label and it drop in value. 2c

On 1/9/2024 at 8:46 PM, SalmonAssassin said:

Welp, I took a gamble on eBay and bought a NM Fantastic Four 36. It came trimmed. The book itself looks amazing though. Should I still submit to CGC or get a refund? I paid 1k for the book. 

Thank you for any and all advice/help. 

72654315922__14A7B47D-CE53-4074-89B7-A4120897B3A4.jpeg

are you sure?  I looked at a quick search of other copies and you're not missing anything more than a misaligned original trim... 

s-l1600-1.jpg

Yeah, I'm looking at both copies, and Marvel on the left is about the same distance from the spine on each one. On the 9.0 copy, Johnny's head is closer to the edge than on your copy. If one would be suspected of being trimmed, I would pick the 9.0 copy for that reason.

Your copy shows more image on the right of the photo than does the encapsulated example.  It seems to show about the same at the bottom but maybe a tad less at the top.

Which side(s) are you thinking were trimmed?

Edited by pemart1966

On 1/10/2024 at 3:27 PM, gunsmokin said:

doesn't look like a match... note distance from right edge of the green blurb banner.  much wider on the copy supposedly trimmed.  and points of the burst below get cropped too

Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 5.09.37 PM.png

On 1/10/2024 at 4:11 PM, Aman619 said:

doesn't look like a match... note distance from right edge of the green blurb banner.  much wider on the copy supposedly trimmed.  and points of the burst below get cropped too

Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 5.09.37 PM.png

(thumbsu

Was this sold by PCB Comics and Sports? That's the only recent raw NM sale I see ($997). Gunsmokin' linked to the $2300 raw copy they sold in November, which is identical to their recent $997 sale. Maybe the original buyer flaked but I'd be leery of any ebay seller with a high grade book of this calibre that wasn't slabbed. Why would they leave so much money on the table? The last 9.4 went for over $4500 and last 9.6 over $20k.

On 1/11/2024 at 9:32 AM, Pontoon said:

Was this sold by PCB Comics and Sports? That's the only recent raw NM sale I see ($997). Gunsmokin' linked to the $2300 raw copy they sold in November, which is identical to their recent $997 sale. Maybe the original buyer flaked but I'd be leery of any ebay seller with a high grade book of this calibre that wasn't slabbed. Why would they leave so much money on the table? The last 9.4 went for over $4500 and last 9.6 over $20k.

This is a fair word of caution. 

A couple of years ago I bought a copy of Tales to Astonish #16 in its raw state. I sent it in to be graded and it came back qualified as the top edge was trimmed. I pulled up a graded copy and placed my scan of TTA #16 when raw next to it, sizing up the pics to be identical in size. I'm finding it hard to spot the trim.

TTA16_compare_2.jpg

On 1/13/2024 at 6:57 PM, frozentundraguy said:

A couple of years ago I bought a copy of Tales to Astonish #16 in its raw state. I sent it in to be graded and it came back qualified as the top edge was trimmed. I pulled up a graded copy and placed my scan of TTA #16 when raw next to it, sizing up the pics to be identical in size. I'm finding it hard to spot the trim.

TTA16_compare_2.jpg

Yours is possibly not trimmed either. That determination was made at the time of grading, an "opinion". It's an important opinion, but not the end all be all. On a different day, you might not get the same determination. 

If you could find a few blue label very similar examples, you might be able to send that evidence in to get yours released from purple label prison.