• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collecting physical media(vhs,laserdisc,dvd,brd,4k,super 8)
2 2

32 posts in this topic

It is getting real hard to get physical disc these days compared to before.in Québec best buy is stoping,wallmart sint that great and most other shows are closing.

Am trying to buy from websit for first time this week.i know of criterion of course,i dont like vinegar syndrome much,arrow and second sights are solid!

But what of others i missed or buy from online stores,ebay is not that good got ripped off à few times with bootleg,and amazon im not sure.

Please share your expérience since collecting blu ray are becoming à niche thing!

Edited by Namtak

On 1/10/2024 at 7:25 PM, Namtak said:

Streaming is here to stay and won(aparently,thats what im toldmeh).

Talking to friends and such i notice that i have become à black sheep cause im not a streaming guy(whatever that is).i still buy my blu ray and 4k. Have i become i dinosaur?

Lets discuss how the hobby  have changed these past years and what it means for us.

Its becoming difficult to find some movies in physical form these few years. Im glad that some titans of movies are remastered in 4k like the abyss wich i cant wait to see!

I mean, not a dinosaur, as in outdated for a very long time.  But maybe a Passenger Pigeon?  Or a dodo bird?  

Streaming has come and physical media is going.  It may take some number of years to complete the takeover, but it is happening.  Even though it is absolutely true that a physical disc still gives a better picture quality today, for those who care and notice such things and/or have the equipment to discern the differences.  But streaming is going to get better as well.  

Those discs might be a collectable one day though!

On 1/13/2024 at 11:05 AM, Namtak said:

It is getting real hard to get physical disc these days compared to before.in Québec best buy is stoping,wallmart sint that great and most other shows are closing.

Am trying to buy from websit for first time this week.i know of criterion of course,i dont like vinegar syndrome much,arrow and second sights are solid!

But what of others i missed or buy from online stores,ebay is not that good got ripped off à few times with bootleg,and amazon im not sure.

Please share your expérience since collecting blu ray are becoming à niche thing!

Not only is it tough to get discs at brick and mortar but also trying to sell them is impossible too unless you're selling the aforementioned boutiques or collector's editions of popular movies. I've recently started to see DVDs joining VHS tapes in free/dollar bins as well which is rather saddening. To sort of pile on to what Axelrod was saying about discs becoming collectable it is my hope they'll become like vinyl where they stay niche but have their own collector culture and come in the really nice packaging that Shout and Arrow have been giving their limited editions. Paramount, Universal, Sony, and MGM (albeit solely through boutiques for MGM/UA) have done a commendable job keeping their catalogue titles flowing. 

Trying to upgrade or find movies that i missed in the past,more than buying from stores near me since its getting difficult to find stuff there anyway.will focus more on criterion ,arrow and second sight in the month that will follow,this week i got night of the living dead 4k,dog soldiers 4k delux box set with à 100+pages book!.(they outdid themself awesome boxset)and elvira mistress of the dark in blu ray!

20240119_192114.jpg

20240119_192058.jpg

20240119_192035.jpg

Heads up, Target's got a buy 1 get 50% off sale. (Though if you were looking to order any of the James Cameron 4Ks unfortunately we're SOL :cry:) Ends on February 14th.

Edited by Skylath

After coming up empty-handed on numerous FB posts, marketplace searches and weekly thrift store trips for over a year - I decided to take a hilarious risk of ordering a working vintage 80's TV from Ebay (19") a few weeks back. I would find a reputable seller (someone who sells vintage electronics and has positive feedback) and order it.

So far, I'm 0 for 1, but I have two more TVs coming in.

The first TV was put in a box with packing peanuts. lol A 40lb tv rattling around loose in a box, you can imagine the condition when it arrived. Oddly enough, the tube survived. Like atoms in a particle accelerator, it bounced around and smashed the plastic housing into dozens of pieces. Refund issued.

I am awaiting my second TV, which is set to arrive tomorrow. We'll see how that works out.

A third TV is on the way from Canada, and due to arrive the 19th. If I end up with two working TVs, it'll be worth it - if I end up with one, I'll be happy. If I end up with none - I'm going to keep buying them.

If everything goes well, I'll post a pic of my TV/VCR cart. Going through a lot of trouble just so I can watch my old STTNG and Elvira tapes (Thriller Video - missing four for the set!) on a cool vintage setup - but it'll be worth it!

IMG_6697.thumb.JPG.541ae840403478a28999b88558208124.JPG

On 2/8/2024 at 12:03 PM, Dr. Balls said:

After coming up empty-handed on numerous FB posts, marketplace searches and weekly thrift store trips for over a year - I decided to take a hilarious risk of ordering a working vintage 80's TV from Ebay (19") a few weeks back. I would find a reputable seller (someone who sells vintage electronics and has positive feedback) and order it.

The first TV was put in a box with packing peanuts. lol A 40lb tv rattling around loose in a box, you can imagine the condition when it arrived. Oddly enough, the tube survived. Like atoms in a particle accelerator, it bounced around and smashed the plastic housing into dozens of pieces. Refund issued.

I am awaiting my second TV, which is set to arrive tomorrow. We'll see how that works out.

A third TV is on the way from Canada, and due to arrive the 19th. If I end up with two working TVs, it'll be worth it - if I end up with one, I'll be happy. If I end up with none - I'm going to keep buying them.

If everything goes well, I'll post a pic of my TV/VCR cart. Going through a lot of trouble just so I can watch my old STTNG and Elvira tapes (Thriller Video - missing four for the set!) on a cool vintage setup - but it'll be worth it!

Old video games are better on vintage tv(crt) too!

On 2/8/2024 at 12:03 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Awesome elvira collection!cassandra peterson is irreplaceable!

On 2/8/2024 at 10:26 AM, Namtak said:

Awesome elvira collection!cassandra peterson is irreplaceable!

When I watched Elvira's Movie Macabre as a little kid, she burned herself into my brain - it's amazing what your mind takes with you into adulthood. She is Gen X's Marilyn Monroe, IMHO.

Got both TVs this weekend, and they both work! It's an EBay miracle.

The Zenith Space Command has a really nice picture for it's age - and the remote works. Fired up a classic VHS to give it a test drive. Pretty cool:

IMG_6913.GIF.e3fe4019501f99efda1c4a116896b19b.GIF