• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collecting physical media(vhs,laserdisc,dvd,brd,4k,super 8)
2 2

32 posts in this topic

Streaming is here to stay and won(aparently,thats what im toldmeh).

Talking to friends and such i notice that i have become à black sheep cause im not a streaming guy(whatever that is).i still buy my blu ray and 4k. Have i become i dinosaur?

Lets discuss how the hobby  have changed these past years and what it means for us.

Its becoming difficult to find some movies in physical form these few years. Im glad that some titans of movies are remastered in 4k like the abyss wich i cant wait to see!

On 1/10/2024 at 8:08 PM, Bosco685 said:

Do you have the Sexy Beast blu-ray?

I do not,did not even know it existed ,will check it out ,just watched the trailer.seems like a good movie. 

On 1/10/2024 at 8:28 PM, Bosco685 said:

Although I have a massive digital library, there are many movies I still enjoy watching via physical media because the sound and visuals are much better. I get exactly what Christopher Nolan meant.

Yes!and the frame per second is steady!it does not change like on streaming.

On 1/10/2024 at 8:28 PM, Bosco685 said:

Although I have a massive digital library, there are many movies I still enjoy watching via physical media because the sound and visuals are much better. I get exactly what Christopher Nolan meant.

Nice collection @Namtak . I was the same way with physical music forever. All the digital stuff I had, I ripped myself. Now I’m all about convenience and lossless audio has come a long way. I still break out my CDs and play some vinyl, but not as often as I used to  

same, @Bosco685  I have a decent digital library, but if it’s a movie I’m going to watch over and over again (anything Star Wars lol), I go with the physical. Visuals and sound of the physical copies cannot be surpassed. 

Once my kids are a bit older to the point that they won’t break all my stuff, I’ll be upgrading my HT setup and likely increasing the amount of physical media. 

One of the best example(tought i havent experienced it yet)is 2001 space odyssée 4k.the transfer from 70mm film is said to be breathless!wish to see it soon:drool:

On 1/10/2024 at 9:40 PM, adamstrange said:

Movies in 4k on a large OLED TV look spectacular if the source is a disc.  The streaming version of the same noticeably compromises both picture and sound quality.  A high quality blu ray (recent transfer on a BD 50 disc) played on a machine with a good upscaler will be better quality than streaming 4k.

I have a 77” LGC1 and am in awe every time. 

On 1/10/2024 at 8:47 PM, Namtak said:

One of the best example(tought i havent experienced it yet)is 2001 space odyssée 4k.the transfer from 70mm film is said to be breathless!wish to see it soon:drool:

It is.

This is a list (not maintained by me) that helps me make decisions on buying a film.  When it indicates that a movie is "Reference Quality", it will look amazing.

All 4K Releases - Google Sheets

Not all 4Ks are created equal as there have been a number that were produced from a 2k scan that was then upscaled to 4K before being mastered to disc.

Films shot on digital (pretty much everything in the last 15 years), are 2K, as those are the cameras that Hollywood now uses.  Special effects are often mastered at 1K and then upscaled to 2K for their cinema release.  (There are exceptions, such as Nolan who films in 70MM and they may be starting to use 4K digital cameras.)

Some of the best looking 4K discs are from old movies, without digital effects, shot on film.  Regular 35MM film stock has 6K worth of information. A 70MM film has 12K worth of information.

On 1/10/2024 at 9:44 PM, awakeintheashes said:

I have a 77” LGC1 and am in awe every time. 

I upgraded to a 77" last Fall, sitting about 6 feet away.  At that distance, and with my sound system, it's like watching the film in a movie theater. 

It's a been a revelation the last few months as the movies hit harder (better), and I've gained a whole new appreciation for so many films.

On 1/10/2024 at 7:25 PM, Namtak said:

Have i become i dinosaur?

Yes, but you are a good one, like a Tyrannosaurus Rex, and so will be remembered among the giants of the age.

Your post interrupted my task for the evening of finishing the incorporation of my 2023 purchases into my shelving units.  They are arranged by genre then alphabetized, so it's a bit of an effort.

Streaming sucks for image quality, but it’s super convenient- kinda like streaming music. I have a few VHS collections (Star Trek and Elvira) that I still watch on my VCR.

On 1/11/2024 at 2:48 AM, adamstrange said:

Some of the best looking 4K discs are from old movies, without digital effects, shot on film

It’s surprising how much better old movies can present in high definition. I should look into the technicalities of that. True for streaming, even more so for rate-stable physical versions. Even on U.K. Freeview, via aerial, I’ll always consider watching an old film again when it’s broadcast in HD, just for the obvious boost - even with that.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 1/11/2024 at 12:25 AM, Namtak said:

.i still buy my blu ray and 4k. Have i become i dinosaur?

No. You genuinely want the best image quality, delivered by that option.

With streaming instability and compromised bit rate, and good system upscaling compensation, it’s often hard to detect that much difference between standard HD and UHD.

On 1/11/2024 at 1:28 AM, Ken Aldred said:

It’s surprising how much better old movies can present in high definition.

Besides the superior resolution, the old three-strip technicolor film stock in the hands of the great cinematographers can't really be duplicated with today's methods.  When they go back and scan each strip separately and then digitally align them, they create an image that creates a very satisfying experience. 

The 4k 10 Commandments is a showpiece for Technicolor, where frames look like a painting.

On 1/10/2024 at 5:25 PM, Namtak said:

Talking to friends and such i notice that i have become à black sheep cause im not a streaming guy(whatever that is).i still buy my blu ray and 4k. Have i become i dinosaur?

Not at all. I'm 24 and I've been collecting physical media for six years with my collection spanning from the 1930s (The Sign of the Cross, 1932) to the 2020s (Spider-Man: No Way Home, 2022). I hope that even if the corporations stop releasing their own discs in house somehow the boutique labels will continue to prosper.

It's also a great way of future proofing your collection, just if you're looking to acquire 20th Century Fox titles be sure to do it now before prices really skyrocket! Also Barnes and Noble is currently having a 50% off sale on Arrow Video titles for you budding enthusiasts looking to amass your own theatrical catalogue.

Also feel free to check out the Criterion thread by @NewEnglandGothic

And for Australian Boardies regarding the release of Disney titles: 

Edited by Skylath
Punctuation!

Speaking of movies I watch a lot, and are not Star Wars, I’m really hoping White Christmas gets the UHD treatment this year for its 70th anniversary. I grabbed the Holiday Inn 4K UHD Disc in 2022. I’ll probably have to wait until 2025 for a Christmas in Connecticut UHD treatment…if it even gets one.

These movies were long before my time but my parents got me hooked.