• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does this Book Look Strange to You?

53 posts in this topic

Does look like a mylar comic superimposed on a case. The picture is not clear enough. I don't like the reflections on the bottom right or top left. It looks to wavy, not something you could get from hard plastic. It could be just chalked up to the angle of the flash. I would be willing to give the dealer the benefit of the doubt because of their feedback, but I would want a cleaner picture before I put money on it.

Looks does like a mylar comic superimposed on a case. The picture is not clear enough. I don't like the reflections on the bottom right or top left. It looks to wavy, not something you could get from hard plastic. It could be just chalked up to the angle of the flash. I would be willing to give the dealer the benefit of the doubt because of their feedback, but I would want a cleaner picture before I put money on it.

Yeah...what he said!

Some things don't add up.

Firstly, look at the glare going up the right. it waves (not what you would get in an inner well is it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif)

x1.jpg

Secondly the shadow here, correct me if im wrong but if this book was actually in the slab it would be alot closer to the surface. This shadow looks a bit deep for it to be in the slab, more like its on top.

x2.jpg

And the third and most obvious fault is the lower right corner where you can blatently see creasing. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

x3.jpg

JC what are you smoking it looks fine. His other slab auctions seem to be ok but you are a pretty good sleuth so I may eat my words.

My guess is he just used a flash to take a picture and it's not in focus. gossip.gif

Right, it's a picture, not a scan. My photos come out grainy like that too if I don't use the MACRO feature. I think this auction is fine. It's a book in a new CGC holder with the new modern inner well.

Some things don't add up.

Firstly, look at the glare going up the right. it waves (not what you would get in an inner well is it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif)

x1.jpg

Secondly the shadow here, correct me if im wrong but if this book was actually in the slab it would be alot closer to the surface. This shadow looks a bit deep for it to be in the slab, more like its on top.

x2.jpg

And the third and most obvious fault is the lower right corner where you can blatently see creasing. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

x3.jpg

1. yes. It is what an inner well looks like.

2. you are wrong.

3. what crease?

8.5 # 99 with a cracked slab? c'mon people. this man is a legit seller and he's taking some unwarranted abuse here. news.gif

No, I'm sure there is a paranoid person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point somewhere that would still complain. sign-funnypost.gif

Unless thats a rare "Tiny" variant of X-men 95 , theres no way that can be real.

It just doesn't look right, does it? I even took out a set of my CGC books, and there is no way any comic (even a Ewert trim job) would have that much room on the sides. It looks like it's in a magazine slab or something.

It makes no sense. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Unless thats a rare "Tiny" variant of X-men 95 , theres no way that can be real.

It just doesn't look right, does it? I even took out a set of my CGC books, and there is no way any comic (even a Ewert trim job) would have that much room on the sides. It looks like it's in a magazine slab or something.

THATS IT! I was thinking the same thing. A magazine sized slab with X-men 95 underneath it in a mylar??? confused-smiley-013.gif

THATS IT! I was thinking the same thing. A magazine sized slab with X-men 95 underneath it in a mylar??? confused-smiley-013.gif

Dungeon, your posts are usually filled with wisdom, so I feel pompous thinking I am going to explain something to you that you don't already know. You see, Joe's last post was sort of a desperate attempt to deflect everyone from thinking about how he missed the obvious explanation. Note the lame "Ewert" reference.

He's way too smart to think that comic looks like it's in a magazine slab. It doesn't remotely look like it is in a magazine slab. acclaim.gif

The comic is shifted over about 1/8" from where it normally rests in a slab. foreheadslap.gif

After that back cover scan it's overkill, but I've chopped down the size on this Planet of the Apes #1 to the size of a 1975 comic.

On the x-men scan, you can see depth under the CGC hologram, which would mean if it was a magazine size holder, the comic isn't in the slab, the label isn't in the slab, and the hologram isn't on the label ( which it obviously never is.). Someone would have had to place the hologram on the magazine holder in a location it is normally not.

CopyofPlanet20of20the20Apes2012092E.jpg

Man that is one big slab. gossip.gif

The comic is shifted over about 1/8" from where it normally rests in a slab. foreheadslap.gif

Then stop talking and get in there and buy it.

And of course it's not *actually* in a magazine slab, that was just my way of explaining "that comic looks too freaking small compared to ALL of the CGC slabs I own", to the slope-brows. It just doesn't look right, no matter how much you "shift it".

If it's actually a 100% non-tampered CGC case and book, then I'd like to put in a bid on the digital camera he used, as it obviously takes pictures from another dimension. Now that's valuable.

"He's way too smart to think that comic looks like it's in a magazine slab. It doesn't remotely look like it is in a magazine slab. "

Sorry Joe. I don't buy overpriced miswraps.

I do agree Dungeon is a slope brow though. 27_laughing.gif

I don't see where you're getting the "small" size comic from. The first of my slabs I looked at, if I line up the book with the beginning of the "9", it ends at the same point on the CGC hologram as the Xmen scan.

confused-smiley-013.gif

DSC02471.jpg

Of course, I have a magic camera too.

By the way, does anyone want to buy my CGC 9.4 #150?

Dungeon, your posts are usually filled with wisdom, so I feel pompous thinking I am going to explain something to you that you don't already know. You see, Joe's last post was sort of a desperate attempt to deflect everyone from thinking about how he missed the obvious explanation. Note the lame "Ewert" reference.

He's way too smart to think that comic looks like it's in a magazine slab. It doesn't remotely look like it is in a magazine slab. acclaim.gif

after seeing the Back Cover pic, i'm pretty convinced that this is legit and am comfortable with the auction.

i, too, feel that this is a new inner holder where the blunt edges that used to contain the books within a specific range are absent, being replaced with a more mylar shaped holder. this probably allows the book to move in either direction a significant amount.

if i wantred this book at that price i'd personally no longer have any fear of bidding.

but I would have shifted the book back to center if i were selling it........ grin.gif

"He's way too smart to think that comic looks like it's in a magazine slab. It doesn't remotely look like it is in a magazine slab. "

Sorry Joe. I don't buy overpriced miswraps.

I do agree Dungeon is a slope brow though. 27_laughing.gif

mad.gif He never said i was a slope brow, asssmouth. Sheesh.

I don't see where you're getting the "small" size comic from. The first of my slabs I looked at, if I line up the book with the beginning of the "9", it ends at the same point on the CGC hologram as the Xmen scan.

confused-smiley-013.gif

DSC02471.jpg

Of course, I have a magic camera too.

By the way, does anyone want to buy my CGC 9.4 #150?

you mean the #150 that says #238 on the holder????

now here's a potential scam fer shure.............. devil.gif