• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC clean and press
2 2

6 posts in this topic

Hey again guys, I've got about 50 CGC comics in my collection, but I'm about to start sending a few over to see how the system works. The one main question I have, Is the press and clean worth the effort from CGC. I've already done the press and clean to the best of my ability. Are CGC known for doing a good job of pressing and cleaning or is it better to stay clear of it? cheers............

Unfortunately I can't recommend CGC for pressing.

I've had ~20 books 'pressed' in the last year that have all either come back graded lower than I would have expected and no graders notes, or lower than expected grades and grader notes like 'very light creasing to cover' - issues that I would have assumed a decent pressing would have resolved.

Whether CGC pressing just isn't that good, they don't care enough to repress if there are issues, or the QC on the pressing team just doesn't pick up post press issues and simply pass the books off to grading... (shrug)

That said, any Signature Series book I'm submitting I'll have pressed by CGC just in case there is some mishandling of the book during the signing process, which I feel is also pretty common with CGC. I still get brand new books sent in for sigs, then pressed, come back at 9.6 with no grader notes and no visible issues.

If you've done a press yourself and think the books are of a decent grade, I think it's probably a better strategy to submit them with a pre-screen rather than send in for a press then grade.

On 1/16/2024 at 8:58 AM, Darthvader23 said:

Hey again guys, I've got about 50 CGC comics in my collection, but I'm about to start sending a few over to see how the system works. The one main question I have, Is the press and clean worth the effort from CGC. I've already done the press and clean to the best of my ability. Are CGC known for doing a good job of pressing and cleaning or is it better to stay clear of it? cheers............

I would not recommend CGC unless you are sending ultra moderns in for their service, which generally equates out to a very hot quick press. There are way to many instances of boardies sending in books for a clean & press and receiving back grader notes of finger prints, bends, etc. This is just my opinion but I also do not believe they "clean" the books.

The only problem with any other option is that any good presser is booked for multiples of months and if you send them something now you're not likely to receive it back until after Q4 this year. Unfortunately quality takes time and most are not willing to exchange money to bump you up the line (I am absolutely not ashamed to say that I have tried!)

On 1/16/2024 at 7:35 AM, joeypost said:

Do some research.

On 1/16/2024 at 6:58 AM, Darthvader23 said:

Often, the helpful guys on the forum who suggest researching are worth reaching out to for advice.  There are some excellent pressers who play in the CGC forum sandbox 👍🏻.  One of them goes by the name of a baby kangaroo 

All the best to you!