• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rust Query!
2 2

9 posts in this topic

Apologies for the lack of pictures as I am currently out and about but curious as to what kind of rust like this would cap the grade at?

It has zero migration both externally and internally

many thanks 

IMG_0496.jpeg

IMG_0497.jpeg

If you could provide close-up scans of the front, back and some interior, you might as well post in the "Hey buddy, can you spare a grade?" thread, especially since I suspect any hit for rust could depend on the grade the book would otherwise get.  https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/  Take a look at some posts there for the kinds of pix that are helpful.

On 1/17/2024 at 11:27 AM, Pantodude said:

If you could provide close-up scans of the front, back and some interior, you might as well post in the "Hey buddy, can you spare a grade?" thread, especially since I suspect any hit for rust could depend on the grade the book would otherwise get.  https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/  Take a look at some posts there for the kinds of pix that are helpful.

Quite right. A single defect may be allowed in a certain grade, thus not reducing that grade. But it all depends on the overall grade of the book without the defect. In a high grade book the rust would certainly be more of a factor than in a low grade book.

Hi many thanks for the response. 
my query was more of a blanket ask, assuming the book is a 9.4- how would the grade be altered.

many thanks 

On 1/17/2024 at 8:53 PM, PovertyRow said:

Quite right. A single defect may be allowed in a certain grade, thus not reducing that grade. But it all depends on the overall grade of the book without the defect. In a high grade book the rust would certainly be more of a factor than in a low grade book.

On 1/17/2024 at 8:57 PM, Radiaston said:

my query was more of a blanket ask, assuming the book is a 9.4- how would the grade be altered.

many thanks 

From my experience, CGC tolerates more rust than you'd think.  That rust looks pretty heavy though... to the point that the staple looks a bit fragile.  I think the best it would get is a 7.5/8.0 on an otherwise 9.4 book.  

Books are graded by their overall condition, a defect that is not allowed in that grade will drop the grade, how much depends on the severity of the defect and individual interpretation (there are LOTS of Gray areas in grading, look at the words used, slightest, slight, some, minor, discolored, etc.), if you want to base it on only one defect such as rusty staples...

NM/MT 9.8 -  Staples must be original, generally centered and clean with no rust.

NM+ 9.6 - Staples must be original, generally centered, with only the slightest discoloration.

NM 9.4 -  Staples are generally centered; may have slight discoloration.

NM- 9.2 to FN/VF 7.0 - Staples may show some discoloration.

FN 6.0 - VG/FN 5.0 Staples may show minor discoloration, as well as minor rust migration.

VG 4.0 - Staples may be discolored, as well as some rust migration. 

GD/VG 3.0 - Staples may be rusted or replaced, as well as some rust migration.

GD 2.0 to FR/GD 1.5 -  Staples may be degraded, replaced or missing, as well as rust migration.

FR 1.0 - Staples may be missing or show rust and discoloration

On 1/17/2024 at 8:57 PM, Radiaston said:

many thanks 

To be honest, the highest grade I've ever seen a potential 9.4 book achieve with one slightly rusted staple was a 9.2. Since we're looking at a staple that appears to be extremely rusty, I'd personally be more comfortable around the 7.0 range. And if both staples are severely rusted, the grade could go even lower. 

And EastEnd is correct---that staple appears to be on the verge of complete disintegration. I'd be very careful when handling this book---that's exactly what a rusty staple looks like before rust turns to dust...  :sorry:

Edited by The Lions Den

I have some CGC 9.8's with a single spot of rust....  I don't like that.

And just for add'l clarification - they were graded that way, and the rust did NOT develop inside the case.