• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who is attending OA Expo?
3 3

71 posts in this topic

On 1/27/2024 at 9:28 PM, Xatari said:

Really cool site so far!  How long have you been up and running?  What is the long term vision?

2019 I think? Made it because I never built a website before and to improve my writing skills. I love art and I know there can be a steep learning curve so focused a lot on helping newer collectors learn things I wish I knew.

Very true.  I did a few posts on social media based on what I learned when I entered the hobby to help new users navigate as well.  My posts were geared toward comic collectors transitioning to original art.  I was very excited to hear Kasra's goal of attracting new entrants into the hobby and growing the collector space.  I think it is critical to the long term viability of the hobby.  

Dealers and reps who hype, pump and dump do a major disservice to new collectors who get burned then don't stick around.  It is short term thinking.

On 1/28/2024 at 12:17 PM, Xatari said:

Dealers and reps who hype, pump and dump do a major disservice to new collectors who get burned then don't stick around.  It is short term thinking.

This popped into my head a few seconds before I read your post. I came to wonder about “new” collectors in recent years who made big splashes buying up art in which the ink hadn’t dried yet, commissioning “It” artists to do big commissions, paying record prices for modern art, appearing on podcasts etc. And yet, they’ve seemed to have disappeared. Sometimes I’ll see that art on auction. I could name names, but happened to them and their supposed passion for the hobby?

I'm sorry I missed this but I had Gasparilla plans well in place before they announced OAX [not to mention a booked MegaCon hotel for next weekend - it's never a good idea to visit Orlando more than once a year or so]. 

Please post more pics!  

Any info on OAX 2 location & dates, yet? 

On 1/28/2024 at 10:25 AM, John E. said:

This popped into my head a few seconds before I read your post. I came to wonder about “new” collectors in recent years who made big splashes buying up art in which the ink hadn’t dried yet, commissioning “It” artists to do big commissions, paying record prices for modern art, appearing on podcasts etc. And yet, they’ve seemed to have disappeared. Sometimes I’ll see that art on auction. I could name names, but happened to them and their supposed passion for the hobby?

Oh really? I must be out of the loop with the new “hotness” in terms of who is new to the hobby. I’m just coming on four years myself and feel it’s been a whirlwind. I feel fortunate to have had a shot at most of the pieces I was after and could afford. I’m very grateful to those (both collectors and specific reps) who didn’t take my newness to the hobby as blood in the water and an opportunity to gouge but instead treated me fairly.

I think the hardest thing coming into the hobby is knowing what to trust. Lots of messaging from people looking to make a buck and chalk it up arrogantly to teaching someone a “life lesson” as if they were helping a new collector learn early (no joke, I recently had a rep tell me this), so it is critical people of character come along side our new collecting family to help them have a positive experience. 

On 1/28/2024 at 1:17 PM, Xatari said:

Same is done in Comics where it is significantly less effective. 

On 1/28/2024 at 1:25 PM, John E. said:

Where they the same 1d10T's who were purchasing Monkey head and torso NFT's ? biglaugh.gif.c092b9b11615463a40c2ca134e84e02a.gif

IMO good riddance to the Rich Boy's who jumped on any hobby bandwagon during the pandemic.

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/28/2024 at 3:43 PM, Xatari said:

Oh really? I must be out of the loop with the new “hotness” in terms of who is new to the hobby. I’m just coming on four years myself and feel it’s been a whirlwind.

By “new” collectors I meant new about 5 years ago. One I had in mind raised his profile with a certain mid-5-figure purchase of a modern cover. Then just disappeared. So was he “victim” of fresh blood in the water? Got taken advantages of and left a hobby that left him with a bad taste in the mouth? It’s what I’m wondering, in general terms. 

On 1/28/2024 at 2:53 PM, John E. said:

By “new” collectors I meant new about 5 years ago. One I had in mind raised his profile with a certain mid-5-figure purchase of a modern cover. Then just disappeared. So was he “victim” of fresh blood in the water? Got taken advantages of and left a hobby that left him with a bad taste in the mouth? It’s what I’m wondering, in general terms. 

I think I know who you are talking about. Was it by chance Batman covers? Over the years I've seen some new collectors making big buys then disappearing. Of course there are also new collectors who make big splashes and keep on going.

Malvin

On 1/28/2024 at 4:39 PM, MAR1979 said:

Same is done in Comics where it is significantly less effective. 

Where they the same 1d10T's who were purchasing Monkey head and torso NFT's ? biglaugh.gif.c092b9b11615463a40c2ca134e84e02a.gif

IMO good riddance to the Rich Boy's who jumped on any hobby bandwagon during the pandemic.

NFTs…as far as I know, no.

Yeah, one I had in mind seemed to have entered the hobby during the pandemic then firesale’d and bailed.  

On 1/28/2024 at 4:55 PM, malvin said:

I think I know who you are talking about. Was it by chance Batman covers? Over the years I've seen some new collectors making big buys then disappearing. Of course there are also new collectors who make big splashes and keep on going.

Malvin

Yes, Batman covers. 

And you’re right, there are those who do make a big splash and are still active. 

On 1/28/2024 at 5:57 PM, John E. said:

And you’re right, there are those who do make a big splash and are still active. 

Yes. But less common to the extent they might be considered outliers?

Edited by MAR1979

Could be they are also not quite as visible. I know in my collecting group there are 20+ of us. Several are very active in a public setting and others have decided to stay behind the scenes. I understand the reasoning for both. 

On 1/28/2024 at 1:15 PM, -m said:

Can someone post the results or highlights of the OAX auction?

I've been scouring the internet/Facebook/Instagram/CAF trying to find some info on that as well.

On 1/28/2024 at 2:59 PM, MAR1979 said:

Yes. But less common to the extent they might be considered outliers?

New collectors who make a big splash as a whole are less common to begin with :)

Those that stay and those that disappear about both less common.

Malvin

On 1/28/2024 at 7:34 PM, zhamlau said:

Is there an official photo listing post from the show?

The closest thing to a listing of art in the auction was OA Expo's CAF gallery.  Hopefully they'll list top bids.  Or it may be covered during ComicArtLive on youtube this week.  Since Hero Initiative was the beneficiary, maybe they'll do some coverage.

https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=189483

Edited by Will_K

On 1/28/2024 at 3:15 PM, -m said:

Can someone post the results or highlights of the OAX auction?

I didn’t stay for the majority of it but for what I thought were the coolest pieces,…the Allred paintings both went for just over the opening bid of $4k. I almost bid on the Surfer as it is just a monstrously amazing piece of art. The Beatty SW8 piece $2800 I think.

Told to me, second hand….The Gerhard/Hughes piece went for $9100, the Bianchi Weapon X $8500, The Manix around 5k (his art is gorgeous in person and he is a really nice guy.) was told the Kang card art did very well(There was a fairly large group of card art collectors there)

Edited by NinjaSealed

On 1/28/2024 at 4:47 PM, malvin said:

New collectors who make a big splash as a whole are less common to begin with :)

Those that stay and those that disappear about both less common.

Malvin

I think it takes so much capital to make a splash in today’s market so likely few and far between.