• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden and silver age keys. More added weekly
7 7

32 posts in this topic

PayPal is the worst.   For something big ticket, I mail a check.   I don't mind waiting until everything clears, but it's far safer than this.

On 4/14/2024 at 2:44 PM, AndyFish said:

PayPal is the worst.   For something big ticket, I mail a check.   I don't mind waiting until everything clears, but it's far safer than this.

Not a sarcastic question,  but how is it safer? 

Do the banks step in to stop / reverse checks when there are disputes like this? 

I have always used PP G/S for people I didn't know, thinking if things went South I would have more protection. 

I've had deals go south with PP G&S-- in fact I have a business account so I can't send payments F&F and I've still had two occasions where PP stuck me.   As a buyer usually buy things from either people I know or in person, so it's a cash transaction.   

Checks can be bad too-- that's for sure-- but don't fall for a super rush deal-- in fact as soon as someone starts telling me there is something time sensitive about the deal my Spidey Sense goes off.   I don't deposit something like that with my phone or an ATM, I make an appointment with my bank branch manager and they have avenues where they can call and confirm the check is or isn't legit and I STILL wait until it's cleared when I'm selling and if I'm buying I'm patient.

Back about a decade or more ago, there were a bunch of boutique pinball machine manufacturers that were taking deposits on games that hadn't even been designed yet. After about a year, people started trying to get their deposits back and the only ones who were successful were those that used american express through paypal. When paypal told them all to pound sand, amex made a few of them whole.. but not all IIRC. Always fund your paypal purchases with amex and if you dispute, you will usually get your money back and also they close your account. I do not know if anyone pursues collections. Take this for what it worth (which I assume is only slightly more than you paid for it).