• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice on sending books in and pressing
2 2

8 posts in this topic

I don't send in books that I don't think are 9.8's or at least higher-grade quality, but I find myself constantly surprised when some come back with lower grades. In regard to pressing, I sent this book in for signing and had it pressed because of a bend on the back cover. Rather than pressing the bend out, it apparently BECAME a crease, resulting in an 8.5 grade. Is that common from pressing? I took a pic before I sent it (which I ALWAYS do now after some experiences), how did this bend that I thought could be pressed out get worse?

Screenshot_20240119_161515_Gallery.jpg

Maybe it was bent over further putting it back into the bag after signing. I can tell you from experience, I could get that bend out without using a press, so for it to show in the notes as a crease more had to happen. When you get the book back a closeup shot of the corner would be very helpful. 

That photo looks a bit blurry to really say.  It depends on how much the "bend" broke the paper fibers... it looks like there may be some breaking on the left side.  Pressing often leaves a bit of a remnant of the broken fibers, though depending on the depth, it can be made so faint that you probably wouldn't notice it unless you already knew that there was a pre-existing bend/crease in that spot.  That's pretty much what you're betting on when you submit a pressed book to CGC.  But if they spot that bit of remnant (they become more visible in raking light), they'll treat it like the crease is there... though perhaps smaller than it was originally.  

Yeah that’s happened to me a few times. I’ve used both third party and ccs pressers on gentle NCB bends just like in that photo. Theoretically thats the kind of stuff pressing was designed for, right? Usually I get a grade bump but every so often a book comes back noting “NCB crease” or “finger bends” or “light bending” after the press which is supremely frustrating