• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heroes Con 2024 - Charlotte NC - June 14-16 - ONSITE GRADING - Second Wave of Guests Announced! Adam Hughes, Jim Steranko, more!
6 6

99 posts in this topic

On 6/15/2024 at 11:28 AM, joeypost said:

I passed on dropping off any books for on-site this year. 

As far as buying goes, the show was terrific for me. The other two board members I hung out with most of the weekend all spent a considerable amount of money on books. Everyone was happy, as it should be. 

Still lots of deals to be had at the show, I just ran out of money. 

Thus, no one in the USA would accept that funny colored money from the Banque du greggy?

I only got to spend about 3 hours at the show today.  With the wife, 2 of our grandkids and my dad being there, made staying longer and shopping more a no go.  I was able to pick up 10 books total from Dale and Bob's booths, that take me to where I'm down to only needing 9 issues to finish my 1 to 400 Uncanny X-Men run and of those 9, I still need a #1 which I will try to get at some point and the rest are either issues in 70's or 80's which are easier to get. I filled a few holes in my run of Batman collection. 

It seemed that there were fewer people at the show today then compared to previous years.  We showed up around 11am and we were able to pretty much walk up to the ticket booths to get our tickets to get in with no wait.  In previous years, we have spent anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes to just get our tickets on a Saturday.  I didn't really get to look too much for what I needed, but at a few of the booths that I was able to stop at and check, trying to find the issues I needed to for my Batman run, was a challenge.  They had the key books from the 400's range (which I already have) or they had issues in the 200's or lower.  I only found a few of the issues from the 300's that I needed.  Now I didn't stop at very many booths, due to family in tow, but it seemed that most had the key issues and not run fillers.  I know I'm an odd duck and still like trying to collect runs of comics and not just the key issues. 

Until next year.

Psy        

• Administrator
On 6/5/2024 at 6:52 PM, jasonmoore said:

Hey everyone,

I'm a comic book inker/artist and I have a few of my own comics that I'm thinking about getting graded on-site at HeroesCon but I am completely unfamiliar with the grading process as I've never submitted a book of my own for grading and have never done an on-site grading at a convention.

I did a variant cover for Army of Darkness: Forever #1 that is only available for purchase through me and I have a trade dress version limited to 400 copies and a "virgin" variant limited to only 100 copies.

I'm not a grader by any means, but I do have a couple copies of each book that I think could be candidates for 9.8s that I would like to submit.

Since these are my variant covers, I'd also like to sign the copies that I submit as well and have those verified as I sign them during submission or how ever that is handled.

Being a total noobie to this entire process, what would you suggest I do in order to make this process the smoothest and easiest with me signing them as well?

Sorry for what is probably a very obvious process for everyone that does this all of the time LOL

Thanks!

Jason Moore

Hi Jason

My advise is to bring the books that you would like to submit to the CGC booth.  I recommend getting there early.  I can't say this for sure but, after doing the submission paperwork, the CGC team might allow you to sign the books at our booth.  That would save everyone time.  

Mike

On 6/15/2024 at 11:41 AM, AndyFish said:

Hey Jason-

As I suspected the onsite grading is bonkers-- the line is worse than you can imagine.

As a pro myself- I've signed up with CGC which gives me an account and allows me to submit anything I've signed to get a confirmed yellow label.  It was a little bit of a process, and like SDCC when they are giving you passes, they check your credentials, so make sure you have links to your published work.

Once approved you no longer need a CGC Witness at your booth provided your fans don't mind sending the books in through you.  We use a third party vintage dealer who handles all of ours.

I'm sure @CGC Mike could point you in the right direction.

Jason - this is excellent advice!  Also for anyone at heroes please check out Jason’s setup in artist alley.  I purchased one of his Elvira covers and you should also check out some of his horror and Ninja Turtles work  (thumbsu

On 6/15/2024 at 7:29 PM, PsylockeSmythe said:

I know I'm an odd duck and still like trying to collect runs of comics and not just the key issues. 

There's more like you than you realize. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 6/15/2024 at 9:47 PM, jimjum12 said:

still a run collector myself (thumbsu

It seemed that there were fewer people at the show today then compared to previous years. 

I initially thought the same Friday.  Saturday was very busy.  Shelton announced a couple of times on Saturday that this year's Heroes Con broke all prior attendance records.  Shelton has done an unbelievable job growing this into arguably the best comic book convention on the East Coast.  The number of dealers and creators/artists is just astounding.

On 6/15/2024 at 10:53 PM, Azkaban said:
On 6/15/2024 at 10:47 PM, jimjum12 said:

still a run collector myself (thumbsu

Every LCS that is still operating, and there are MANY, will indicate anywhere from 50 to 500 collectors who can arguably be maintaining runs of some sort. GOD BLESS ... jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 6/15/2024 at 11:05 PM, zosocane said:

I initially thought the same Friday.  Saturday was very busy.  Shelton announced a couple of times on Saturday that this year's Heroes Con broke all prior attendance records.  Shelton has done an unbelievable job growing this into arguably the best comic book convention on the East Coast.  The number of dealers and creators/artists is just astounding.

There are two shows that I deeply regret being unable to attend. Some of the very best weekends of my life occurred at either Heroes or Baltimore. They are the bookends of the old school comic convention world. GOD BLESS ... 

On 6/15/2024 at 10:12 PM, jimjum12 said:

There are two shows that I deeply regret being unable to attend. Some of the very best weekends of my life occurred at either Heroes or Baltimore. They are the bookends of the old school comic convention world. GOD BLESS ... 

I retire in two years and can't wait to make this a yearly trip :whee:

On 6/15/2024 at 11:05 PM, zosocane said:

That very well could have been the case, it just didn't feel as busy as it has in the past.  I do agree the number of dealers and artists is one of the best things about Heroes every year.

Psy

On 6/15/2024 at 11:14 PM, Azkaban said:

I retire in two years and can't wait to make this a yearly trip :whee:

I could easily drive or catch a train, but I can maintain walking mode for only an hour or two, due to health issues. It saves me money and keeps me out of trouble, but, oh, the fun I miss. I went to a sidewalk show recently, maybe 10 dealers, and it was a BLAST, ... for about 3 hours... as they say, I was hell when I was well. GOD BLESS ...

... I must confess, one of the few benefits of having a stroke, is staying up WAY past my bedtime. It also hones the "glass half full" attitude.

Edited by jimjum12

On 6/15/2024 at 11:14 PM, PsylockeSmythe said:

That very well could have been the case, it just didn't feel as busy as it has in the past.  I do agree the number of dealers and artists is one of the best things about Heroes every year.

Psy

Another HUGE factor is the freshness of inventory of most of the nationwide guys. First big show of the year and it's typically flush. GOD BLESS ...

It seemed that there were fewer people at the show today then compared to previous years.

I’m pretty sure majority of the convention spent most of their time in the lines of Chris Claremont, JRJR, Dan Jurgens, Jimmy Palimiotti and Amanda Conner, or Andy Kubert. Oh, and Roy Thomas on Saturday.

Because those were LONG.