• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

White pages should get more points =P
2 2

37 posts in this topic

I agree with you. White pages should get more points but my problem with that is CGC’s inconsistency regarding the white pages and for that matter other parts of grading as well. Take 10 books with white pages and stack them so you can only see the bottom of the books showing the pages and the page quality is all over the place.

NO

Way too many cases of page quality bumps from review re-submits and signatures. But yeah some pay more for White Pages, to others W vs OW/W is  laughable given wildly random page quality de jour assignments for books.

What about the very early slabs in which Page Quality notation was yet not standard?   :canofworms:

I'm also against assigning more points for newsstands as for 20+ years they were not noted nor data recorded :canofworms: :canofworms:

Edited by MAR1979

Grading by its' very nature is subjective. If we follow through with your argument then there is no real basis for the point system at all. Either the grading means something (including page quality) or it doesn't. Obviously it does or we would not be here or worried about points at all!

Furthermore, a change in points for page quality would probably be an easy change in the coding

On 1/25/2024 at 9:22 AM, Crushalot said:

Grading by its' very nature is subjective. If we follow through with your argument then there is no real basis for the point system at all. Either the grading means something (including page quality) or it doesn't. Obviously it does or we would not be here or worried about points at all!

Furthermore, a change in points for page quality would probably be an easy change in the coding

No as well. 100% against this idea.

Its something that will reward incomplete collections over some complete sets simply because of 1 aspect of grading in which opinions are widely divided.

@jstam There are enough unfair inequities with the CGC registry please don't create another!

Edited by All-Star Squadman

On 1/25/2024 at 9:22 AM, Crushalot said:

For the numerical grade, there are objective criteria one can point to for how the subjective grade was decided upon.

In the case of page quality, it's more akin to: "Looks white to me." It is, by it's nature, less transparent and more subjective.

Keep page quality out of it.

My 2c.

• Administrator

@All-Star Squadman I am not leaning in any particular direction for or against this idea, and fortunately for me, no decisions with the Registry are solely mine to make! I am very glad to be hearing from the community on it. 

What I will say is that It comes to mind that those collecting books from 2000 forward (coated pages) would see a blanket increase but not much actual advantage. The largest advantage would go to those collecting Silver/Gold, since white pages are harder to come by from those eras, but that advantage would be felt less frequently overall. It seems that Bronze collectors would get the edge most frequently, followed by Copper collectors.

On the one hand, I can see the idea generally making sense since points are essentially based on book quality. What I'm not sure about is a situation in which the benefit of a points increase is not equally shared.

The point system is based on dollar value of books. Books with white pages have a higher monetary value than books with lower quality pages. Hence white pages equals more points. Case closed

On 1/27/2024 at 4:13 PM, Crushalot said:

The point system is based on dollar value of books. Books with white pages have a higher monetary value than books with lower quality pages. Hence white pages equals more points. Case closed

I have found that my eBay buyers will pay more for a book in a newer CGC case or an original CGC case, as opposed to the same book in the previous generation slab. Are you suggesting CGC should award extra points for books in new or original cases? Case reopened.

Edited by Kripsys99

Same with those QVS stickers or custom labels.

The dollar value of books is based on many external factors - the quality of the auction or sales venue, the time of the year, the current hot collecting interests among a few.

Should registry points be deducted now that many books have seen their prices reduced since the COVID mania?

-bc

The registry is definitely not a price guide but the points system is loosely based on Overstreet prices. Books with white pages are valued higher. I don't suggest lowering scores for OWW etc. but there should be positive scaling for page quality. Nobody loses points but slight increases for page quality which is already in the code and part of the grading system.

Imagine two competing complete sets where one has all OWW and the other WPs. The scores being identical makes zero sense.

On 2/1/2024 at 9:55 AM, Crushalot said:

The registry is definitely not a price guide but the points system is loosely based on Overstreet prices. Books with white pages are valued higher. I don't suggest lowering scores for OWW etc. but there should be positive scaling for page quality. Nobody loses points but slight increases for page quality which is already in the code and part of the grading system.

Imagine two competing complete sets where one has all OWW and the other WPs. The scores being identical makes zero sense.

eh-244-x-220-gif-gt3q59l4zg1h8tck.gif.8b272c94e6e0fb3789a640e2ef76d9fb.gif

I applaud you for bringing forward a novel idea for a potential improvement of the registry, unfortunately this one just isn't a winner.

And at this point, I feel like you're whistling in the wind a bit here. Seldom have I seen an idea posted on the boards that received not a single vote of support from any other boardies.

But you seem firmly entrenched in your opinion (which is fair enough). I just hope majority rules in this case, because I believe the majority are right in this instance, for all of the reasons stated by all of the other posters above.

On 2/1/2024 at 9:55 AM, Crushalot said:

Overstreet does not break out pricing by page quality, only grade.

What about extra points for perfect centering, or bettor ink colors or ideal staple placement? Those things are at least visible thru the slab (unlike White pages).

None of those are feasible as well since they are all subjective, just like page quality. 

-bc