• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MGM's ROAD HOUSE starring Jake Gyllenhaal (2024)
2 2

27 posts in this topic

It comes across like they went all in on this concept of a Road House sequel.

As much I get folks expecting Hollywood to generate new concepts and stories, this does look cool.

I always say - never touch a classic.

Aliens

Shawshank

But in this case - they may have nailed it.

I loved Roadhouse - them's big shoes to fill.

Wait - this is NOT in cinemas???

What the actual.................

On 1/25/2024 at 5:10 PM, Beige said:

Wait - this is NOT in cinemas???

What the actual.................

I know.

Doug Liman Says He’s Boycotting SXSW Premiere Of His Jake Gyllenhaal Film ‘Road House’ To Protest Amazon MGM Bypassing Theaters For Prime Streaming Release

Liman feels his movie, which has been selected as SXSW’s opening-night film, has been KO’d by Amazon MGM Studios with a Prime Video release, and he’s not taking it lying down. In this guest column, he explains what happened, why he feels betrayed, and why this is a cautionary tale for a theatrical film business still recovering from the pandemic and the rise of streamers. Buckle up.

When Road House opens the SXSW film festival, I won’t be attending. The movie is fantastic, maybe my best, and I’m sure it will bring the house down and possibly have the audience dancing in their seats during the end credits. But I will not be there. 

My plan had been to silently protest Amazon’s decision to stream a movie so clearly made for the big screen. But Amazon is hurting way more than just me and my film. If I don’t speak up about Amazon, who will? So here we go.

When Amazon bought MGM, one of the few remaining studios making big commercial films for theatrical release (movies like Bond, Creed) they announced that they would put a billion dollars into theatrical motion pictures, releasing at least 12 a year. They touted it as “the largest commitment to cinemas by an internet company.” I can tell you what they then did to me and my film Road House, which is the opposite of what they promised when they took over MGM.

The facts: I signed up to make a theatrical motion picture for MGM. Amazon bought MGM. Amazon said make a great film and we will see what happens. I made a great film. 

On 1/25/2024 at 12:37 PM, Bosco685 said:

It comes across like they went all in on this concept of a Road House sequel.

As much I get folks expecting Hollywood to generate new concepts and stories, this does look cool.

I feel the same way, that Hollywood keeps looking rearward instead of forward, with constant remakes and franchises run into the ground. Still, as others have already indicated, it looks interesting. I'd give it a watch. 

On 1/26/2024 at 9:22 AM, Bosco685 said:

Thanks Bosco

Crazy Crazy decision.

I rarely go to the movies nowadays, but I was all in for this one.

Ridiculous by Prime.

:idea: :idea::idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea: :idea:

They could make back some of the money they lost on the Ring(piece) of power!!

On 1/25/2024 at 4:37 PM, Beige said:

Thanks Bosco

Crazy Crazy decision.

I rarely go to the movies nowadays, but I was all in for this one.

Ridiculous by Prime.

:idea: :idea::idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea: :idea::idea::idea: :idea:

They could make back some of the money they lost on the Ring(piece) of power!!

I see no issue with their approach. The play here is to generate content for their streaming service to 1) attract subscribers and more importantly 2) retain them long term. While I still enjoy going to the theatre, my kids (18 and 19) consume media via streaming services and rarely go to the theatre.

I was hopeful, but it was disappointing.  Conor looked much thicker than I expected, and he's been rehearsing this role as the ultimate a-hole for the last few years. It had its moments, but not enough of them.

Me when Blockbuster was still around...

YARN | Oh, my God! Road House! | Family Guy (1999) - S08E04 Comedy | Video  clips by quotes | 22bcf77d | 紗