• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Really? HA? Really? WTH are you thinking?

41 posts in this topic

On 1/30/2024 at 1:05 PM, szav said:

Pardon my ignorance but how do these work anyway?  I've never acquired one but some look pretty cool.  Do you sign up to get them at a convention or one of those artist events CGC is always spam emailing me about?  There seems to be a wide variance in the amount of time and effort put in on these.  Some look pretty nice like this one (although I'm totally ignorant of Artgerm's process, this almost looks like it was just printed on the cover.  Is this something that was more or less commissioned and would have taken him a while, or did he just whip this up in a couple minutes at a signing?)

image.png.875c93e2c94e1c60212edce2a9015c27.png

Then you've got some like this where it looks like it took 30 seconds.  Maybe the appeal is not having to go the effort and expense of framing, and in the case of the very low artist effort drawings, the CGC slab acts as proof of authenticity (no expert here in Perez or other OA but I think you might be hard pressed to know he really did it unless you accepted the signature as authentic.)

image.png.9e0db686e2e5c894800dabb8ab751f11.png

Mine were done here through an offering on these boards. I didn’t have them graded as that wasn’t important to me just wanted a couple of cool covers. I need to dig these out, haven't looked at them in years.

Edited by Silver Surfer

@szav

There are various ways to get these done. Typically, you go to a comic convention where CGC has a table. At this table are hired CGC witnesses. You go to the con and ask/pay an artist for a sketch. Before the artist hands it to you, you have to ask a CGC witness to come with you so they can witness the artist hand over their sketch. So the witness is the neutral third party who authenticates that it is indeed the artist who did this. Then you go to fill out the appropriate paperwork and pay the CGC witness and slabbing fee.

This isn’t the only way. For example, CGC may agree to send a witness to a smaller regional show where they don’t have a table set up, or a store signing. Or CGC may have mail-in events.

The Artgerm could be a pre-arrange at-home commission in which he and the fan have agreed to a comic-con pickup. The fan just needs a witness with him. The art looks printed but its original art. It is done with copic markers.

Same thing with the George Perez. I never met him but I heard he’d have lines out the door. The only way he could accommodate fan was by doing quick sketches like that for a fraction of his at-home commission fee. It may very well be that a CGC witness sat next to him watching him sketch and if you wanted to, you just pull aside and fill out the paperwork. 

On 1/30/2024 at 3:05 PM, szav said:

Then you've got some like this where it looks like it took 30 seconds.  Maybe the appeal is not having to go the effort and expense of framing, and in the case of the very low artist effort drawings, the CGC slab acts as proof of authenticity (no expert here in Perez or other OA but I think you might be hard pressed to know he really did it unless you accepted the signature as authentic.)

This is a great example of a George Perez convention sketch; he did these in about 10ish minutes for a $75 donation to the Hero Initiative, they are all done in this style. I have probably around 8 or 9 of these and love them; You would walk up to George exchange pleasantries, he would ask you what you like and draw it for you while having a nice personal conversation while doing it.

His line for the convention would be out the door; at no point are you going to get original art of your favorite character by an artist you like for the price offered. IMO con sketch covers used to be a great way to dip your toes into the massively expensive OA scene and potentially lose your money disastrous multi-year wait commission market.   

On 1/30/2024 at 4:05 PM, szav said:

Pardon my ignorance but how do these work anyway?  I've never acquired one but some look pretty cool.  Do you sign up to get them at a convention or one of those artist events CGC is always spam emailing me about?  There seems to be a wide variance in the amount of time and effort put in on these.  Some look pretty nice like this one (although I'm totally ignorant of Artgerm's process, this almost looks like it was just printed on the cover.  Is this something that was more or less commissioned and would have taken him a while, or did he just whip this up in a couple minutes at a signing?)

Different ways to get these. Like you mentioned sometimes a rep will facilitate something through cgc where the artist will draw and or sign it with cgc being right next to them and they'll be mailed out after grading. In other cases the artist or their rep can mail it out to cgc if it was a commission and want it it graded as a sig series. Usually, though you'll go to a con and provide your own blank variant comic, and if you want it CGC'ed you get a CGC witness from their booth (If they're setup at that con) to go with you to pick the piece up from the artist so they know it isn't fake and drop it off at their booth for on-site grading. If they don't finish it by the time the con ends they'll mail it to you.  

On 1/31/2024 at 1:04 AM, szav said:

..and don't get the hate for them.  Well I sorta do ... people are just gonna hate.

I think the general hate for sketch covers by those who collect OA is more of a no true Scotsman fallacy of art collecting.

Heritage didn't do any favors by not being very choosy with the sketch covers they posted; I think a lot of these are going to go for less than ebay prices.

For those who collect slabbed/graded sketch covers, how does the rating factor in with the value?  That's the part that's always a little confusing to me about the whole thing.  Would a slabbed sketch cover collector turn up their nose at a 9.2 with a great piece of art in favor of a 9.8 that's in better condition, but not as good art?

On 1/31/2024 at 5:29 AM, ShallowDan said:

For those who collect slabbed/graded sketch covers, how does the rating factor in with the value?  That's the part that's always a little confusing to me about the whole thing.  Would a slabbed sketch cover collector turn up their nose at a 9.2 with a great piece of art in favor of a 9.8 that's in better condition, but not as good art?

I can only speak for myself but it would depend on why I am buying it. When I used to update registry sets a 9.8 was a high secondary focus so it would play a part. If I am just buying or slabbing just for art then I don't really care about grade. Also the artist played a part, if you're buying a Stuart Sayger sketch that comic is going to get wrecked.. lol. The art is going to magnificent though!

Back when sketch covers were huge there was a push for CGC to just authenticate the art without a grade because of how graders would just hammer the books if the artist accidentally touched the back cover leaving a smudge. It would have cut out a lot of turn around time making things easier for everyone, but that is not how CGC operates.

I'd be interested in seeing how well the art holds up over time.  How much will metallic inks and paint migrate/smudge/stick from contact with the case ? 

On 1/30/2024 at 4:05 PM, szav said:

The "appeal" is that you get an authenticated sketch/art by a name artist. It is witnessed, so if you later sell it -- there is no authenticity arguments. The risk is that the commissions, as you've shown, can be hit or miss. I seriously doubt Artgerm does sketch covers that nice any longer. 

On 1/31/2024 at 6:29 AM, ShallowDan said:

It depends on the comic. If it is a common, not really desirable comic, the grade doesn't matter as much as the art. If it's a highly desirable comic, then the grade matters. 

On 1/31/2024 at 2:04 AM, szav said:

Thanks for the explanation.  I should not have called them "low effort", that's unfair given the time constraints and logistics involved.  Haven't found any that I want to buy yet, but do think a lot of these are very cool wouldn't hesitate to grab one at the right price. Don't care at all what grade it would get, and I actually think the slab is a nice easy way to protect and display it, and don't get the hate for them.  Well I sorta do ... people are just gonna hate.

If I collected unpublished stuff (I have very few examples), I can see the appeal of a verified QUALITY sketch cover by a name artist. That Artgerm is a good example. That's worth the money to whoever paid for the original commission. Some of the Frank Miller sketch cover doodles, on the other hand, make the George Perez one look like one of Perez's published Teen Titans or Infinity Gauntlet pages. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

I'm currently watching today's Wednesday HA auction ( 2024 January 31 Wednesday Comic Art & Animation Select Auction #322405 ).  There are over 50 sketch covers.  I saw a run of 10 lots in row of sketch covers !!! 

Edited by Will_K

On 1/31/2024 at 6:29 AM, ShallowDan said:

Generally speaking, people want 9.8s and probably will prefer the grade over the better art. I've always been more focused on the art and wished there were more options to generate graded sketch covers other than workarounds like this.

002.jpg.d70a046e2da5117abe4a7b71ab4614c4.jpg.339ac6b07ced4cb34e3d50d0380c775e.jpg

001.jpg.99471d677ecda851b39ef8526ada7b21.jpg.5aefa743d9c0d8779d988cb7deae5804.jpg

On 1/31/2024 at 5:54 AM, DougC said:

Back when sketch covers were huge there was a push for CGC to just authenticate the art without a grade because of how graders would just hammer the books if the artist accidentally touched the back cover leaving a smudge. It would have cut out a lot of turn around time making things easier for everyone, but that is not how CGC operates.

I have a Chrissie Zullo sketch on a book that is otherwise a 9.8.  She didn't protect the back when doing the work so the back has smudges from her art desk.  As a result, the book came back a 9.0.  I admit, the sketch is what's important, but the OCD in me is hurt by the 9.0 grade none-the-less.  At some point, I might have a sketch on the back just to get a grade bump, but I agree, it's kinda ridiculous that they're find with someone's scribbles on the front, but crush a books grade when ink from the sketch/manufacturing process are found on the back.

On 2/2/2024 at 3:39 AM, ExNihilo said:

I have a Chrissie Zullo sketch on a book that is otherwise a 9.8.  She didn't protect the back when doing the work so the back has smudges from her art desk.  As a result, the book came back a 9.0.  I admit, the sketch is what's important, but the OCD in me is hurt by the 9.0 grade none-the-less.  At some point, I might have a sketch on the back just to get a grade bump, but I agree, it's kinda ridiculous that they're find with someone's scribbles on the front, but crush a books grade when ink from the sketch/manufacturing process are found on the back.

I find that interesting, insomuch as part of the charm of OA can be seeing that sort of evidence of the creative process. 

I don't think those sketch covers did very well at HA, whether it wasn't what people who cruise HA look for or the current market condition - or both. The Bachalo Rogue cover I think did the best at $528 with BP, but that seems really low from what I remember about the values in the sketch cover market.

I believe there were two or three Thony Silas sketch covers there, and I'm pretty sure they all came from the infamous sketch cover commission on these boards - I recall seeing them while I was waiting for mine to come back. The Phoenix one went for $89 with BP, and that is 2-3X less than what it cost - I think - 10 or 11 years ago, the others went for $200+ with BP. A little surprised by that since Thony went on to work for DC (I think he had just signed on when he had the sketch cover thread started) and it appears he's done quite a bit of work for them. But who knows.

Granted, a lot of lesser-known artists on those sketch covers, but yikes. Not a good showing for that area of the OA market.