• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anticipation.

8 posts in this topic

I was searching a few obscure auction sites when I came across a small group of comics.  The place usually sells sports stuff but occasionally gets some comics. Their customer service sucks and they refuse to answer simple questions or provide additional photos. 

I don't buy much from them but have gotten a few great deals.

This particular lot included several books that have different printings, some you need to read the indicia and others you can tell by the back covers. I called to ask about the lot and got blown off.  With five minutes left, I was the high bidder at $55. It came down to a bidding war between myself and one other person.  After a very spirited two minutes, I won the lot at just under $400. I called this morning to see if I could get the lot expedited but was told the lots ship ten to fifteen working days after I pay.  The biggest book was a Crow 1 that appeared to be in very nice shape.  A 1st print might be a $3,000 book, whereas a 3rd print is a $500 book.  The others I'm hoping are first prints are some early Pokemon books.  A 1st print sells for 10X what later prints go for.  

I don't mind taking the calculated risk, but wish I didn't need to wait a month to find out how I did.

I didn't even know those Pokemon books in first pring were worth anything.  I have 2 or 3 copies of each that I bought new when they came out...will be all first prints and they're uber high grade.

On 1/31/2024 at 2:36 PM, davidpg said:

I didn't even know those Pokemon books in first pring were worth anything.  I have 2 or 3 copies of each that I bought new when they came out...will be all first prints and they're uber high grade.

I wouldn't count on that.  It appears that second, third, and sometimes fourth prints came out a month or so after the first prints, so people buying the same month they came out could have very different prints.  The last batch of Pikachu ones I found, the original owner bought them in the same shop, but only a couple were first prints, some were 2nd, and some were 4th. 

There does seem to be an active market for first prints. good luck with them.

I got a notice the boxes should arrive today and tomorrow. They broke the shipment into three boxes.

Edited by shadroch

Interesting...well I'll be curous to see.  I was a huge Pokemon fan and had preordered these as soon as they were annoinced.  I'll post back for information's sake!

On 2/9/2024 at 1:22 PM, shadroch said:

I wouldn't count on that.  It appears that second, third, and sometimes fourth prints came out a month or so after the first prints, so people buying the same month they came out could have very different prints.  The last batch of Pikachu ones I found, the original owner bought them in the same shop, but only a couple were first prints, some were 2nd, and some were 4th. 

There does seem to be an active market for first prints. good luck with them.

I got a notice the boxes should arrive today and tomorrow. They broke the shipment into three boxes.

Seen to be 1st prints after all (I think). I have 1-4 and have more copies somewhere, I’m sure!

IMG_3249.jpeg

IMG_3250.jpeg

IMG_3251.jpeg

Very nice. Mine ended up being two 2nd prints, two fourth prints, and a 13th print.

The Crow book ended up being a 2nd print, but it's pretty HG. It's not a 9.8, but a 9.4 candidate. Another book from the action, buried deep in an obscure lot I paid ten cents a book for was Chakan #1.   It's an obscure pre-video comic from 1985 and the only copy I come across is a 9.8 for $1,000.

On 2/13/2024 at 2:15 PM, shadroch said:

Very nice. Mine ended up being two 2nd prints, two fourth prints, and a 13th print.

The Crow book ended up being a 2nd print, but it's pretty HG. It's not a 9.8, but a 9.4 candidate. Another book from the action, buried deep in an obscure lot I paid ten cents a book for was Chakan #1.   It's an obscure pre-video comic from 1985 and the only copy I come across is a 9.8 for $1,000.

That Chakan book is a pretty cool find. There are a few copies out and about, but it's not super common and Chakan has a little bit of a cult following. Black cover, video game promo.... gonna bet that most copies don't have a prayer of seeing 9.8 though.