• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Talk to me like I'm five years old
1 1

60 posts in this topic

On 1/26/2024 at 1:13 PM, Patriot6 said:

That's what the consensus seems to be, to max out the shipping allowance for books. 

Good advice. I plan to take it to heart. I'm basically trying to upgrade so I corner myself with my desired criteria. The books that fit my criteria rarely come up in my traditional buying avenues, hence my desire to venture into this. Hopefully I can get a handle on the ins and outs sooner rather than later. 

:wishluck: 

I was saying recently in a PM thread... I don't buy from ComicLink very often. Ebay and Heritage are such juggernauts for the things I collect, and IMO the CLink site is so clunky and hard to search through for the kinds of things I collect, I honestly just forget about it most of the time. Maybe once or twice a year I'll take a shot at auctions there. 

I saw a few items this week that I was interested in, and spent quite awhile sifting through screens of text on the site trying to figure out if they take Paypal or not. Finally gave up.

On 1/26/2024 at 5:24 PM, Point Five said:

Finally gave up

I hear you. I went down that road many times. It is, likely on purpose, very vague. 

Having said that, the other two options you mention are not much better for me. while I have bought on eBay for over twenty years, being in Canada kills many, many buying possibilities for me. eBay international shipping is a joke. There was a comic on my watchlist for a very long time, which ironically I was able to buy on the boards through a WTB add. It was listed at US $175. Fair enough. eBay international shipping to Canada = US $76. No thanks. I'd say the vast majority of US sellers now use that programme. Heritage's shipping is much much worse. 

On 1/26/2024 at 5:32 PM, Patriot6 said:

I hear you. I went down that road many times. It is, likely on purpose, very vague. 

Having said that, the other two options you mention are not much better for me. while I have bought on eBay for over twenty years, being in Canada kills many, many buying possibilities for me. eBay international shipping is a joke. There was a comic on my watchlist for a very long time, which ironically I was able to buy on the boards through a WTB add. It was listed at US $175. Fair enough. eBay international shipping to Canada = US $76. No thanks. I'd say the vast majority of US sellers now use that programme. Heritage's shipping is much much worse. 

Ugh, understood re the shipping issues! Sorry it’s so difficult.

if the US would just invade and annex canada, your shipping problems would be over! lets go back to the good old days of 1812 and try to make that happen people! 

as far as the other CL stuff goes, they dont have a buyers premium, unless they recently changed something. HA and CC both do have big fat ones. CL you pay what you bid. not counting shipping of course. maybe there is a fee if you pay by credit card. but if you mail a check, no secret fee or BP. 

On 1/26/2024 at 5:55 PM, Point Five said:

Ugh, understood re the shipping issues! Sorry it’s so difficult.

:foryou:

I've in the past used a mail holding company. It's pretty neat. They were located in a small town right on the US/CAN border where my province links with North Dakota. You have the packages sent there and they hold them until you come and pick them up for $5 a parcel. They only downsides are: you cannot inspect on arrival. It will likely be stored in an unheated/air conditioned building and you don't have the package until you drive down to get it. 

I've also had extremely kind friends hold things for me then ship them in bulk up to Canada, but I don't want to rely on their kindness either!

On 1/26/2024 at 6:10 PM, alexgross.com said:

if the US would just invade and annex canada, your shipping problems would be over! lets go back to the good old days of 1812 and try to make that happen people! 

:nyah: I think things would go a lot worse for us this time round. Although, I wonder the cost of rebuilding the White House in today's dollars :baiting:

From what I've learned today, there is the 3% credit card fee, which would be less than me cutting a US dollar cheque from my bank. Seems fair. I'm willing to give it a try. 

On 1/26/2024 at 2:43 PM, Nick Furious said:
On 1/26/2024 at 11:33 AM, lizards2 said:

Quit wasting your GD money on comic books, son. :sumo: 

It's Canadian money.  

Touche' :baiting: 

On 1/26/2024 at 4:15 PM, JollyComics said:

I thought you were five.

My wife says I'm at least 13.

On 1/26/2024 at 4:10 PM, alexgross.com said:

as far as the other CL stuff goes, they dont have a buyers premium, unless they recently changed something. HA and CC both do have big fat ones. CL you pay what you bid. not counting shipping of course. maybe there is a fee if you pay by credit card. but if you mail a check, no secret fee or BP. 

We won in 1812 and might very well win again.

So let me get this straight. Fight it out with other emotional collectors to be the high bidder. Then comes the “buyer’s premium” to be entitled to the honor, credit card fees, taxes and outrageous shipping. You really need to have that comic book BAD. It finally comes in the mail and you get to flip it over and look at the covers in a plastic case.

The only real “winner” is the auction house…

Hey, you said to talk to you like you were a 5 year old kid. 

Edited by Robot Man

On 1/27/2024 at 10:31 AM, Robot Man said:

So let me get this straight. Fight it out with other emotional collectors to be the high bidder. Then comes the “buyer’s premium” to be entitled to the honor, credit card fees, taxes and outrageous shipping. You really need to have that comic book BAD. It finally comes in the mail and you get to flip it over and look at the covers in a plastic case.

The only real “winner” is the auction house…

Hey, you said to talk to you like you were a 5 year old kid. 

You're not wrong. 

But let me bounce this off of you and brain storm.

I live in a city metro of roughly 900k people. There is not one golden age Archie the title in ANY of the LCS. There has not been for some time. My city is the largest city in the region. To the West the next biggest city is a 12 hour drive. To the East, roughly 24hrs. To the North, there isn't one and to the South is Minneapolis which is roughly 8 hours away. I've looked in Minneapolis when I'm there, zip. I go to my local comic con yearly, zip in the form of GA Archie the title. As I've mentioned above, eBay is not terrible. I buy from there frequently. I am handcuffed by eBay international shipping on most US listings, which is almost equal to the shipping from the auction houses. We can garage sale and flea market in my city from late May/June until early September. Estate sales do pop up in the winter. I have bought whatever I have been able to find over the years. I have checked our version of Craigslist, fb market place frequently and still do. I have left my name and number at each LCS, antique mall you name it. I haven't given up by any means, but I am unable to locate what I am looking for.  

This leaves me with rather limited options. I can travel to other cons. The distances are somewhat prohibitive, although I may do this. I can leverage the internet more. I have bought a lot on the boards and eBay. I can try the auction house. I'm SOL on shipping no matter where I buy from, and exchange rate for that matter, so that's a wash no matter the internet venue. 

An open discussion. What have I missed?