• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How does CGC handle signed books that have a COA?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

I'm starting to go through my collection to see what I should get graded, and ran across a few last night that have me wondering how CGC handles books that are signed with a COA.

I have a few from Dynamic Forces, and one from a Comic Con that provided a COA.

Will they count them as Sig Series?

Also, what happens to the COA?  I assume it isn't encapsulated in the slab...

CGC does not recognize any COA, or any signature not witnessed by the CGC. My understanding is that if you send in a signed book with a COA, you'll get a green label and no COA returned.

On 1/26/2024 at 1:05 PM, Gavin Crawford said:

I'm starting to go through my collection to see what I should get graded, and ran across a few last night that have me wondering how CGC handles books that are signed with a COA.

I have a few from Dynamic Forces, and one from a Comic Con that provided a COA.

Will they count them as Sig Series?

Also, what happens to the COA?  I assume it isn't encapsulated in the slab...

As already stated any book with an unwitnessed signature will be returned in a green label (usually) or blue label with deductions and "name written on cover" notation. Anything you send with the comic... ANYTHING; will be thrown away and not returned.

If you want the signatures verified and graded (or just verified) you will need to go to the guys across the street.

On 1/27/2024 at 7:44 AM, Gavin Crawford said:

Interesting.  I knew that they didn't verify signatures, but thought a COA from a well-known place like Dynamic Forces may have been accepted.  Thanks guys.

I think they don’t want to be in the business of picking and choosing which unaffiliated parties to trust

It makes sense - I'm sure if someone wanted to forge a signature they'd also go a step further and forge a COA.  I was just hoping they would do it. 

I have an ASM (Vol 2)  #36 that is remarked & signed by Scott Hanna with a DF COA I'd like to get slabbed.  A few other books with COAs, but that's the main one.  Guess I need to see the other guys for that one.

I guess this question has already been answered here, but just to make absolutely certain, even a COA made by the artist himself will not be accepted as proof of a genuine signature?  There are some books on eBay that Nathan Szerdy signed and come with this COA

IMG_3639.jpeg

Also, I sent in a blank cover to a comic artist once and he did a full color sketch and submitted it to CGC himself for me. He mailed it in. Didn’t do it in person or anything. They allowed that and gave it a yellow label. Would that work with sigs as well?

On 1/30/2024 at 9:27 PM, Kensingtonite said:

Also, I sent in a blank cover to a comic artist once and he did a full color sketch and submitted it to CGC himself for me. He mailed it in. Didn’t do it in person or anything. They allowed that and gave it a yellow label. Would that work with sigs as well?

There are some hoops to jump through and paperwork to fill out, but theoretically there are situations were the artist himself/herself can submit signed or sketched books himself for the CGC SS.  If that is a thing that is wanted the artist should contact cgc directly to arrange it.  

I’ve sent books to artists to be signed with the CGC provided paperwork, they sign & send it to Cgc & it comes back with the yellow label 👍

On 1/31/2024 at 4:34 PM, dbcn said:

I’ve sent books to artists to be signed with the CGC provided paperwork, they sign & send it to Cgc & it comes back with the yellow label 👍

What is this CGC provided paperwork? I’d love to get a sketch cover sent to CGC after the artist finishes it. 

On 1/31/2024 at 7:08 PM, Fixer7640 said:

What is this CGC provided paperwork? I’d love to get a sketch cover sent to CGC after the artist finishes it. 

The artist has to reach out to the Signature Series team and receive a creator agreement form. They then fill it out and return it so the book can be recognized under the SS program. Some artists will do this some will not, many that have never worked with CGC usually don't.

On 1/31/2024 at 5:08 PM, Fixer7640 said:

For best results, contact cgc directly about the paperwork.  Explain your situation.  

On 1/31/2024 at 8:24 PM, DougC said:

The artist has to reach out to the Signature Series team and receive a creator agreement form. They then fill it out and return it so the book can be recognized under the SS program. Some artists will do this some will not, many that have never worked with CGC usually don't.

I just learned the artist has worked with CGC just recently.  I will talk with her once I get on her commission list.

Thanks!