• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #4 - RESTORED or QUALIFIED?? Corner Box Replaced
4 4

31 posts in this topic

On 1/29/2024 at 3:26 PM, zzutak said:

Probably not.  Your book has quite a few additional defects -- like a once-detached cover (which is why the extra post-production staples were added) and a bunch of tape.

So then you're thinking...1.5? 1.0?

One never knows for sure with CGC, but generally books with a sizable chunk out of the cover get 1.8/2.0 grades if the rest of the book is in decent shape. With the amount of wear and added tape, I wouldn't be surprised at a 1.5 if corner box is removed. 

If you want to slab it, it's probably best to remove the box, as even in low grades, buyers prefer the blue label, but if you sell it raw I'd leave it, as it looks better. Judging from finished ebay auctions, one can get a slabbed 3.0 Universals for around $900-$1000, though a 2.0 can run just about as much, as with a lot of SA books there is price compression in the lower grades. The minimum for a 1.5 slabbed or raw appears to be around $600

Leave the box, sell it raw (incur no additional costs), disclose the flaw (it is what it is) and ask what you think is fair based on what it is. Some buyers will negotiate based on the oddity, but its an early, affordable ASM, which puts it in the reach of the vast majority of ASM chasers, many of whom want affordable copies of books that are too expensive for them in higher grades. You'll have a market for it. After a couple discussions with serious potential buyers, you'll have price discovery.

On 1/29/2024 at 8:37 PM, Readcomix said:

Leave the box, sell it raw (incur no additional costs), disclose the flaw (it is what it is) and ask what you think is fair based on what it is. Some buyers will negotiate based on the oddity, but its an early, affordable ASM, which puts it in the reach of the vast majority of ASM chasers, many of whom want affordable copies of books that are too expensive for them in higher grades. You'll have a market for it. After a couple discussions with serious potential buyers, you'll have price discovery.

Thanks, sounds very reasonable. 

On 1/29/2024 at 9:17 PM, Readcomix said:

Just my 2c. Since it’s odd, and given your stated goals, I would think you would benefit most from the biggest possible pool and as little as possible in it.

eBay seems to have the biggest audience, just have to deal with the fees. Thanks, appreciate the input.

Agreed with the consensus here. If your goal is to turn this book into cash in the near-term, sell it raw with full disclosure.

As for how CGC would consider this book... the Frankencorner isn't really even "restoration", since it's incorrect. My guess is that they wouldn't actually give the book a grade bump for it (or, if so, not a good one), so you'd be looking at a 1.0 or 1.5 blue label if you cut the added corner out, or maybe a 1.5 or 1.8 purple label as the book stands now. But if you're selling it raw, that's a decision for the next owner to make. I don't see any reason why you'd want to limit options right now; who knows which state a potential buyer would prefer?

On 1/31/2024 at 11:22 AM, Qalyar said:

Agreed with the consensus here. If your goal is to turn this book into cash in the near-term, sell it raw with full disclosure.

As for how CGC would consider this book... the Frankencorner isn't really even "restoration", since it's incorrect. My guess is that they wouldn't actually give the book a grade bump for it (or, if so, not a good one), so you'd be looking at a 1.0 or 1.5 blue label if you cut the added corner out, or maybe a 1.5 or 1.8 purple label as the book stands now. But if you're selling it raw, that's a decision for the next owner to make. I don't see any reason why you'd want to limit options right now; who knows which state a potential buyer would prefer?

Thanks, yep I’ll let the next owner decide what  they’d like to do with it. Thanks for the feedback.