• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #4 - RESTORED or QUALIFIED?? Corner Box Replaced
4 4

31 posts in this topic

This one is a unique one...the corner box on this ASM #4 has been replaced with the corner box from ASM #12! The color matches as does the ad on the back.

Would this come back as a qualified or restored if submitted? It also has tape on the back and what seems like one added staple. Is it worth getting graded? I'm thinking it's in the 2.0 range.

A 2.0 restored and a 2.0 blue label both recently sold for a bit over $900 (6 months apart). There are no qualified 2.0's. 

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

IMG_1792.jpg

IMG_1793.jpg

IMG_1794.jpg

IMG_1795.jpg

IMG_1796.jpg

IMG_1797.jpg

IMG_1798.jpg

IMG_1799.jpg

IMG_1800.jpg

IMG_1801.jpg

IMG_1802.jpg

IMG_1803.jpg

Edited by Kamenliter

If you remove the added price box the book will receive a GD 2.0, also, before considering removing the added price box, what is the additional tape hiding/repairing? A book with tape will be graded as if the tape was not present using only the defects it is hiding.

GD 2.0 - "The largest piece allowed missing from the front or back cover is usually a 1/2" triangle or a 1/4" square, although some Silver Age books such as 1960s Marvels have had the price corner box clipped from the top left front cover and may be considered Good if they would otherwise have graded higher."

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/3327/CGC-Modifies-Stance-on-Grading-Submissions-with-Tape/

TAPE...

GD 2.0 - Tape and other forms of amateur repair are common in Silver Age and older books.

GD/VG 3.0 - Tape and other amateur repair may be present. 

VG 4.0 - Only minor unobtrusive tape and other amateur repair allowed on otherwise high grade copies.

If you purchased this book for yourself and do not plan on selling it in the future, does it really matter, the main thing is you are happy with the book.

I purchased a TTA 35 years ago that had restoration done, needed to fill the run, price was right, story is the same, for my PC, not resale.

Tales To Astonish 35   GD 2.0.JPG

On 1/29/2024 at 10:34 AM, Kamenliter said:

This one is a unique one...the corner box on this ASM #4 has been replaced with the corner box from ASM #12! The color matches as does the ad on the back.

Would this come back as a qualified or restored if submitted? It also has tape on the back and what seems like one added staple. Is it worth getting graded? I'm thinking it's in the 2.0 range.

A 2.0 restored and a 2.0 blue label both recently sold for a bit over $900 (6 months apart). There are no qualified 2.0's. 

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

IMG_1792.jpg

IMG_1793.jpg

IMG_1794.jpg

IMG_1795.jpg

IMG_1796.jpg

IMG_1797.jpg

IMG_1798.jpg

IMG_1799.jpg

IMG_1800.jpg

IMG_1801.jpg

IMG_1802.jpg

IMG_1803.jpg

It's an anomaly... 

On 1/29/2024 at 12:44 PM, shadroch said:

If you clip the price box, you have a blue 1.5.  With that price box, you have a purple 2.0.   I'd cut.

Thanks for the input. I'll give it a bit of thought.

On 1/29/2024 at 10:34 AM, Kamenliter said:

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this

IMG_1800.jpg

I'm not seeing that the ad on the back of the price block matches.  The price block ad is for encyclopedias (?), and the comic ad is for body building. 

Unless you mean the color of the ad and the page are relatively the same.

On 1/29/2024 at 12:15 PM, marvelmaniac said:

If you remove the added price box the book will receive a GD 2.0, also, before considering removing the added price box, what is the additional tape hiding/repairing? A book with tape will be graded as if the tape was not present using only the defects it is hiding.

GD 2.0 - "The largest piece allowed missing from the front or back cover is usually a 1/2" triangle or a 1/4" square, although some Silver Age books such as 1960s Marvels have had the price corner box clipped from the top left front cover and may be considered Good if they would otherwise have graded higher."

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/3327/CGC-Modifies-Stance-on-Grading-Submissions-with-Tape/

TAPE...

GD 2.0 - Tape and other forms of amateur repair are common in Silver Age and older books.

GD/VG 3.0 - Tape and other amateur repair may be present. 

VG 4.0 - Only minor unobtrusive tape and other amateur repair allowed on otherwise high grade copies.

If you purchased this book for yourself and do not plan on selling it in the future, does it really matter, the main thing is you are happy with the book.

I purchased a TTA 35 years ago that had restoration done, needed to fill the run, price was right, story is the same, for my PC, not resale.

Tales To Astonish 35   GD 2.0.JPG

Thanks for input and info. This book is part of my nephew's dad's collection (his dad passed away over the Summer). I've been working with my nephew on selling the collection, so this copy is for sale. I'm trying to get the biggest return I can for him.

The tape on the corner box only seems to be holding the paper on, not helping any other defects in that area. The tape on the spine I'm thinking is covering up/holding together spine splits. 

On 1/29/2024 at 12:57 PM, Lightning55 said:

I'm not seeing that the ad on the back of the price block matches.  The price block ad is for encyclopedias (?), and the comic ad is for body building. 

Unless you mean the color of the ad and the page are relatively the same.

The ad on the back of the cover for ASM 12 is the encyclopedias. Here's a pic of my raw #12 to compare to the one on the ASM #4 above. 

IMG_1804.jpg

IMG_1805.jpg

On 1/29/2024 at 1:25 PM, Tbone911t said:

Think you'd get a qualified, depending on the day....

IMO it looks a lot better as is than without the box. I'd put it in a nice mylar and sell raw. 

Thanks, yeah I agree I like it with the box more than without. Will probably sell raw.

On 1/29/2024 at 1:03 PM, Kamenliter said:

The ad on the back of the cover for ASM 12 is the encyclopedias. Here's a pic of my raw #12 to compare to the one on the ASM #4 above. 

IMG_1804.jpg

IMG_1805.jpg

Oh, I see.  I thought you meant the replaced corner matched the existing ad on #4.

I guess the goal is to buy a 2.5, judging by the dip between 2.0 and 3.0 on GPA. Although it is a single sale causing that.

Screenshot2024-01-29at14-39-05GPAfirstanalysisandvaluationserviceforCGCComicsGPAnalysis.thumb.png.2eb4f4b8c029c00b80c6755993c40cd9.png

On 1/29/2024 at 2:43 PM, Lightning55 said:

Oh, I see.  I thought you meant the replaced corner matched the existing ad on #4.

I guess the goal is to buy a 2.5, judging by the dip between 2.0 and 3.0 on GPA. Although it is a single sale causing that.

Screenshot2024-01-29at14-39-05GPAfirstanalysisandvaluationserviceforCGCComicsGPAnalysis.thumb.png.2eb4f4b8c029c00b80c6755993c40cd9.png

Well, the goal here is to sell this one lol...just trying to figure out what the best course of action would be to get the most out of it..ie grade it as is (and get either a qualified or restored grade) or remove the corner box and get a likely Lower grade blue label or just sell it raw as is. 

On 1/29/2024 at 7:34 AM, Kamenliter said:

Would this come back as a qualified or restored if submitted?

Tape and added (post-production) staples are not considered restoration.  Hence, in the absence of color touch etc, my best guess would be neither.  I believe CGC would treat this book as an unrestored copy with a missing 2.5" by 1" piece at the top-left corner and award it an appropriate a Universal Grade.  I'm basing this opinion on the dozens of books that have been certified as having an incorrect back cover (which is definitely a more substantial "incorrect" piece added).  Here are just a few examples:

U05c1.thumb.jpg.1d800a43d1d00d3878bd0177be35cb29.jpg U05c2.thumb.jpg.a3c0676626bfa1d6e9c5a17cf01d4147.jpg U05c3.thumb.jpg.e8b1d09cabfa89ab20556bdf4548d213.jpg

On 1/29/2024 at 3:07 PM, zzutak said:

Tape and added (post-production) staples are not considered restoration.  Hence, in the absence of color touch etc, my best guess would be neither.  I believe CGC would treat this book as an unrestored copy with a missing 2.5" by 1" piece at the top-left corner and award it an appropriate a Universal Grade.  I'm basing this opinion on the dozens of books that have been certified as having an incorrect back cover (which is definitely a more substantial "incorrect" piece added).  Here are just a few examples:

U05c1.thumb.jpg.1d800a43d1d00d3878bd0177be35cb29.jpg U05c2.thumb.jpg.a3c0676626bfa1d6e9c5a17cf01d4147.jpg U05c3.thumb.jpg.e8b1d09cabfa89ab20556bdf4548d213.jpg

Interesting! Very helpful info, thank you.  As you note, the back cover is more substantial than the corner box, but I wonder if they'd give it a .5 because of it missing the original corner box. Hmmm...

Edited by Kamenliter

On 1/29/2024 at 3:16 PM, zzutak said:

Chunk-18c1.thumb.jpg.a4d7054170ad521341eed24f37de52b7.jpg Chunk-18c2.thumb.jpg.314584a94c45cee05da7d5d237d4b390.jpg

Ok, yeah I guess then they'd just treat it as any other missing piece (even if the 'incorrect' one is there)...and grade accordingly. Seems it might get a 1.8 based upon the size and these examples. 

On 1/29/2024 at 12:19 PM, Kamenliter said:

Seems it might get a 1.8 based upon the size and these examples. 

Probably not.  Your book has quite a few additional defects -- like a once-detached cover (which is why the extra post-production staples were added), considerable cover wear, and a bunch of tape.

Edited by zzutak