• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The first Marvel licensed comic?
2 2

41 posts in this topic

On 1/29/2024 at 11:02 AM, APDallas said:

I was wondering if CONAN was the first Marvel licensed character. Has there been any others before Conan? Is GODZILLA the second?

I believe there was several licensed characters in between Conan and Godzilla, including:

-Kull

-Doc Savage

-John Carter

-Tarzan

-Planet of the Apes

-Red Sonja

-Star Wars (maybe…I didn’t check the cover date)

-Solomon Kane?

Edited by jjonahjameson11

Marvel's 1949-1953 series Suspense (under Atlas imprint) was a licensed tie-in to (and largely adapted from) John Dickson Carr's Suspense radio program, which aired on CBS Radio from 1940 to 1962.

Marvel's Timely imprint also had Blackstone the Magician (1948), Mighty Mouse (1946-1947), and Terrytoons (1942-1947).

Edited by Brock

On 1/31/2024 at 4:23 PM, Brock said:

Marvel's 1949-1953 series Suspense (under Atlas imprint) was a licensed tie-in to (and largely adapted from) John Dickson Carr's Suspense radio program, which aired on CBS Radio from 1940 to 1962.

Marvel's Timely imprint also had Blackstone the Magician (1948), Mighty Mouse (1946-1947), and Terrytoons (1942-1947).

And also Casey, Crime Photographer, another radio show.

CCF1.jpg

On 1/30/2024 at 8:20 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I believe there was several licensed characters in between Conan and Godzilla, including:

-Kull

-Doc Savage

-John Carter

-Tarzan

-Planet of the Apes

-Red Sonja

-Star Wars (maybe…I didn’t check the cover date)

-Solomon Kane?

On 1/31/2024 at 1:47 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Star Wars #1 was published July, 1977.  Kazookie August, 1977.  Beat the King of Monsters by a parsec.

Publication date may not equal licensing date (i.e. Marvel could have licensed these characters years before any actual publication)

Logan's Run (January 1977), The Deep (June 1977) and Island of Dr. Moreau (October 1977) are also in this timeframe.

There's also Marvel Movie Premiere #1 (The Land That Time Forgot) in October of 1975.

Fun topic.  Just a thought...  where does the Yellow Claw fit in?  I think he was his own thing, but then was used in Shang-Chi and is a co-opted Sax Rohmer character.  It's why the comics weren't reprinted for decades, Marvel couldn't.  Just an idea, I'm just causing trouble...  :devil:

On 1/31/2024 at 10:06 PM, Readcomix said:

Man From Atlantis was also in that late 70’s timeframe. Did we mention Battlestar Galactica and Star Trek? 

Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica weren’t mentioned because they were published after Godzilla #1

On 2/1/2024 at 6:21 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica weren’t mentioned because they were published after Godzilla #1

Yes, I just threw them in because we seemed to get rolling on Marvel licensed properties from that general era. There did seem to be a flourish of them either side of 1977. 
Also, I remember Human Fly being (Marvel-admittedly) about a real stuntman. I wonder if there was a license/royalties involved. I would think so but I don’t recall the details offhand.

On 2/1/2024 at 7:06 AM, Readcomix said:

Yes, I just threw them in because we seemed to get rolling on Marvel licensed properties from that general era. There did seem to be a flourish of them either side of 1977. 
Also, I remember Human Fly being (Marvel-admittedly) about a real stuntman. I wonder if there was a license/royalties involved. I would think so but I don’t recall the details offhand.

Right!

I think the Human Fly was another one.

Thongor and Brak the Barbarian were two of the lesser known licensed characters Marvel used in the early 70’s.

I was also thinking we should add the Evel Knievel one-shot comic (1974)

Wizard of OZ by DC and Marvel 1975 (treasury).  Marvel Classics comics. Sinbad. Supernatural Thrillers. if we are going up to Godzilla in 1977 then it really is an extensive list of tie-ins with Movies, Books and Music plus the Magazine adaptions.  Anyone know if Dracula and Frankenstein were freebies?

On 2/1/2024 at 5:59 PM, comic_memories said:

Wizard of OZ by DC and Marvel 1975 (treasury).  Marvel Classics comics. Sinbad. Supernatural Thrillers. if we are going up to Godzilla in 1977 then it really is an extensive list of tie-ins with Movies, Books and Music plus the Magazine adaptions.  Anyone know if Dracula and Frankenstein were freebies?

Both were Pub Domain (1962 for Drac) - at least the 19th century literature works all were.  In 2027 even the Classic 1931 Universal interpretations will be as well.

On 2/1/2024 at 3:23 PM, MAR1979 said:

Both were Pub Domain (1962 for Drac) - at least the 19th century literature works all were.  In 2027 even the Classic 1931 Universal interpretations will be as well.

Wizard of Oz the book was public domain, but the Marvel/ DC comic version used elements from the 1939 movie, which wasn't... and still isn't.

On 2/1/2024 at 6:33 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

The 2 Haunt of Horror Marvel Digests (not the magazine of the same title) has reprinted horror stories with spot illustrations. 

I think the only reprint in Haunt of Horror was Leiber's Conjure Wife, and due to an error in issue 1 Harlan Ellison's story "Neon" was reprinted corrected in issue 2.

On 2/1/2024 at 9:33 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

Unknown World's of Science Fiction had Day of the Triffids, probably some others. the 2 Haunt of Horror Marvel Digests (not the magazine of the same title) has reprinted horror stories with spot illustrations. 

I forgot about Unknown Worlds! Yes, that title did a few adaptations… Killdozer, The Day the Earth Stood Still, and I can’t think of the book’s title, but a sci-fi novel about a big cat with tentacles on its back loose on a space station. I can see the cover.