• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The first Marvel licensed comic?
2 2

41 posts in this topic

On 2/1/2024 at 12:11 PM, pmpknface said:

Also in 1977 KISS appeared!  The Marvel Super Special was in June of '77 but they first showed up in February of that year in Howard the Duck.

Plus the Beatles in 1978.

On 2/1/2024 at 9:31 PM, Readcomix said:

I forgot about Unknown Worlds! Yes, that title did a few adaptations… Killdozer, The Day the Earth Stood Still, and I can’t think of the book’s title, but a sci-fi novel about a big cat with tentacles on its back loose on a space station. I can see the cover.

674415.jpg

On 2/1/2024 at 6:28 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Right!

I think the Human Fly was another one.

Thongor and Brak the Barbarian were two of the lesser known licensed characters Marvel used in the early 70’s.

I was also thinking we should add the Evel Knievel one-shot comic (1974)

I was wondering about that.  I'm not sure how to qualify that book.  Marvel published it, but it was only available in a toy, from what I understand. Is that considered a licensed product as Marvel had no control over the distribution?

I don't want to get too far down the rabbit hole, but there is a distinction between licensing intellectual property like Conan and Godzilla - where the licensed character is part of an ongoing series of stories, some of which may be adapted from source materials and some are not - and obtaining the rights to make a comic book adaptation of a previously published story - which would be a "one and done." 

On 2/2/2024 at 1:54 PM, OtherEric said:

I'm pretty sure that the Beatles Super Special was not licensed, just based on nonfiction information.

Yes, #4 with the Beatles bio is unauthorized, but #7 (the adaptation of the Sgt. Pepper film) was licensed, though (sadly) never published in the U.S.

On 2/6/2024 at 9:48 PM, Brock said:

Yes, #4 with the Beatles bio is unauthorized, but #7 (the adaptation of the Sgt. Pepper film) was licensed, though (sadly) never published in the U.S.

there was a SGT.PEPPER comic? I must own this!

On 2/7/2024 at 7:27 AM, APDallas said:

I'm not sure if he's talking about Batman #222 or not, but thought I'd mention it in case it was passed over. :cheers:

3364205_Full_Obv.jpg

3364205_Full_Rev.jpg

On 2/7/2024 at 8:27 AM, APDallas said:

On 2/7/2024 at 1:37 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm not sure if he's talking about Batman #222 or not, but thought I'd mention it in case it was passed over. :cheers:

3364205_Full_Obv.jpg

3364205_Full_Rev.jpg

Pizzazz 10 also dabbles in the Sgt. Pepper movie.

p10.jpg

On 2/7/2024 at 8:27 AM, APDallas said:

Marvel Super Special #7 was going to be an adaptation of the Sgt. Pepper movie, but the deal fell apart and the issue was never published - at least not in English. Foreign editions were released in France, French-speaking Canada, the Netherlands and Japan (and possibly more?) and are sought after by some Marvel collectors.

On 2/7/2024 at 1:42 PM, comic_memories said:

Pizzazz 10 also dabbles in the Sgt. Pepper movie.

p10.jpg

Some people think this Pizzazz issue is a slam on Sgt Pepper after the Marvel Super Special deal fell apart.

On 2/9/2024 at 7:30 AM, themagicrobot said:

But for first ever my vote would go to Miss Fury. She was originally in newspaper strips and Timley reprinted some Sunday strips from 1942 onwards.

Miss Fury #1 was cover dated "Winter 1942" and was likely released in the first half of December 1942.

However, Terry Toons #1 was cover dated "October 1942" and likely released in July of 1942.

Edited by Brock

On 2/6/2024 at 9:48 PM, Brock said:

So what's the story behind this? Was it licensed or just a one and done? I was always curious about how they ended up in a Marvel Team Up and not a Super Special.image.png.f3f316bbfa6abe10f7e3fa69757cc768.png

On 2/9/2024 at 12:54 PM, APDallas said:

So what's the story behind this? Was it licensed or just a one and done? I was always curious about how they ended up in a Marvel Team Up and not a Super Special.image.png.f3f316bbfa6abe10f7e3fa69757cc768.png

https://thatguywiththeglasses.fandom.com/wiki/Marvel_Team-Up_74#:~:text=Chris Claremont%2C the writer responsible,the legal rights to this.

All I could find