• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone heading to MEGACON this weekend? Please post some pics!
2 2

6 posts in this topic

I went Sunday afternoon.  The exhibit floor was absolutely packed.  There were some areas that were super congested; you were shoulder to shoulder trying to get by. Some dealers told me Saturday was even worse.  They pointed to the restroom about 3-4 aisles away and said it took them 10 minutes to get there through the Saturday crowd. 

The pricing seemed much more realistic.  In the past, average prices I've seen were quoted much higher than GPA. At this convention, the dealers were very close to GPA pricing.  My impression is the market is starting to stabilize for the vintage keys at this convention. Very refreshing.  

I just got back from Mega this afternoon. My 7th year in a row. Had a great time. The move to a different building was a HUGE help as the aisles were wider and everything was easier to navigate. I was even able to do shopping on Saturday when in past years the aisles were so narrow and congested you couldn’t stop or browse any vendors. I do a little bit of everything, meet some celebs, meet some comic guys, buy some comics (exclusives, variants, vintage). Lotsa awesome cosplayers and the Booth Babe phenomena is back with a vengeance. 

Anyway it was a great con. Sorry I didn’t post pics but mine are all giant iPhone pics and I have no idea how to resize them to a board friendly dimension 

I went Saturday.  Similar observations -- the massive exhibit hall was absolutely packed.  Aside from general attendees, there were plenty of buyers hovering around dealer tables -- maybe not the rabid buying frenzy of 2021 and 2022, but deals were being made.  I spoke to a few dealers who told me they were very happy with their sales, and a similar sentiment was expressed that the market has stabilized.

If there was one take-away from the first big show of 2024, it was this:  there remains an incredible demand from everyday people to escape into the world of comic book mythologies.  Massive crowds, tons of cosplayers, families, etc.  People having a great time and excited to be there.  Which tells me that comic book movie fatigue is a myth.  What is real is the expectation from general audiences for good storytelling before they go to the box office.  I think once Disney course-corrects and James Gunn rolls out the new DCU with Superman Legacy, we will see another bull market in Silver Age and newer comic books.