• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trimming
1 1

10 posts in this topic

So, new to Pulps but fascinated by them and I have a couple of questions for those who have been into Pulps.

First, how bad is Trimming considered and how badly do you estimate it will effect potential CGC grading?

And, did some Pulps have overhang on two out of three sides but not the whole issue in production? Like, did the top of the book get chosen for the cut-off point and the outer side edge and bottom get left with over-hang in some cases? I ask because I have a few copies where this is the case and I don't think someone would trim the top but not the outer edge or bottom. 

On 2/1/2024 at 2:44 PM, Crose87420 said:

And, did some Pulps have overhang on two out of three sides but not the whole issue in production? Like, did the top of the book get chosen for the cut-off point and the outer side edge and bottom get left with over-hang in some cases? I ask because I have a few copies where this is the case and I don't think someone would trim the top but not the outer edge or bottom. 

Weird Tales was factory trimmed on the right edge but not the top and bottom for a lot of the run, but I don't know of any where just the top was trimmed.  Doesn't mean there wasn't, just that it's not coming to mind.

On 2/1/2024 at 3:56 PM, The Lions Den said:

According to what I've heard, pulps that have been trimmed won't be considered restored by CGC. Apparently, the trimming will just be factored into the final grade...  

To expand a bit, I believe they said they'd look at the quality of the trimming (amateur/professional) and factor that in as well.  I thought they also said that if trimmed, the highest grade they'll give is a 4.0, but I can't find that source now that I'm looking for it.

Also keep in mind some pulps came trimmed from the factory.

There are two kinds of trimming:
Most printers did not trim the pulps they printed,
Some publishers trimmed the free edge, others trimmed top & bottom, still others trimmed all three sides.
A few issues came from the printer, or printers, both trimmed AND untrimmed. Those issues have been documented.
Pulps "Trimmed, as published", will be graded as they were produced.
It appears that pulps "trimmed aftermarket" will have the grading reflect the trimming as well.