• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you consider high grade for your collection?

74 posts in this topic

For GA, I will go down to about 4.5 to 6.0 range, depending on the book. I have a few GA books even lower, but they are very expensive, and hard to find in any reasonable grade, such as a Detective 29 I have in 2.5, a Marvel Mystery 9 also in a 2.5. As far as readers go in GA, I don't have many, but what I do have is in the 2.0 to 4.0 range.

For earlier SA, mostly 8.0 and up, again a few of the key books I have in lower grades, like 5.0, 6.0, even a few in 3.5 to 4.0. For later SA, 9.0 or better, most in 9.4 or better. For SA readers, most in 4.0 to 8.5 range. Most closer to 8.0 range.

For BA, almost all are 9.4 or better, readers about 9.0 or so.

Copper and modern age, I don't have too many, but most, again, 9.4 and up. Most readers 9.0, 9.2 or better.

For my regular readers/moderns, I normally want at least 9.2.

For modern keys, I'll consider 9.0.

For bronze keys, probably about 8.0.

And for silver keys, I'll take just about anything as long as it still has a cover and all the pages. I've got several silvers down in the 2.0 to 4.0 range. That's good enough for me.

There are so anal people on here!!!

8.0 for early SA

9.0 for late SA

9.2-9.4 for Bronze

9.6 for Modern

Jealous........... wink.gif

No, it just shows i'm not obsessed!!! poke2.gif

Even if I won the lottery, I still think I would buy most of the issues that I have bought already.

So are you telling me that if you won the Powerball lottery, you would buy all those FF issues listed in your in the same grades or would you by 9.4's or above?

It is not obsession, it is preference and collecting style. Simply stated, I can afford the 9.4's to 9.8's that I can collect( depending on the time of year." I like them for personal preference and investment reasons. It is also a matter where you put your money - I am not married, no kids, and relatively low expenses. Without me knowing you, you probably are married and have different expenses. I think if you could easily afford to buy nicer issues, you would too.

Absolutely, a single person in this hobby has more income to use than a married person with kids.

Once married, priorities change a little, once kids are in the picture, alot.

On the average it costs and extra 15-20k per kid a year.

Absolutely, a single person in this hobby has more income to use than a married person with kids.

Once married, priorities change a little, once kids are in the picture, alot.

On the average it costs and extra 15-20k per kid a year.

I'm single as well, and will definitely cut down my comic book spending habits once or if I get married. However, the dilemma sets in if she wants you to sell your existing collection to finance a slightly larger house or pay for a bigger wedding.

high grade for Golden age is VF and above- there's s HUGE price jump between F and VF in GA.

Silver and up, high grade is high grade- 9.0 and up, no?

Speaking for myself, I stay away from high grade GA- too pricey, and the lower grades are just as collectible. VG suites me fine.

SA and newer I don't collect, but I would not consider spending 'real' money on anything other than 9.0. The lower grades seem much less collectable, and the higher grade prices over 9.2 or so seem ridiculous to me.

There are so anal people on here!!!

8.0 for early SA

9.0 for late SA

9.2-9.4 for Bronze

9.6 for Modern

Jealous........... wink.gif

No, it just shows i'm not obsessed!!! poke2.gif

Even if I won the lottery, I still think I would buy most of the issues that I have bought already.

So are you telling me that if you won the Powerball lottery, you would buy all those FF issues listed in your in the same grades or would you by 9.4's or above?

That is EXACTLY what I'm saying. I think the prices paid for 9.4 are INSANE and don't justify the prices. Even though I said VF or higher, most of my FF collection is 8.5 to 9.0 after 14. And My 1 (want to see the scan again? tongue.gif) is a lot better than the 6.0-6.5's out there - at least to me. Would I upgrade some issues? Probably a few, yea. But I wouldn't go out there and spend like a madman either. It's just not who I'm about. I have bigger priorities.

I think the prices paid for 9.4 are INSANE and don't justify the prices.

I could not agree more. It reminds me of previous speculator markets for 80's BW small press books and 90's variant covers and Valiants. Just like both of those markets dies a harsh death, so too will this obsessive ".2 multiple price jump" fad. I can see paying more for Mint than Near Mint. But not for grades therein. And not more than 2x NM for mint...

At some point, you need to buy the COMIC and not the GRADE.

I could not agree more. It reminds me of previous speculator markets for 80's BW small press books and 90's variant covers and Valiants. Just like both of those markets dies a harsh death, so too will this obsessive ".2 multiple price jump" fad. I can see paying more for Mint than Near Mint. But not for grades therein. And not more than 2x NM for mint...

893naughty-thumb.gif Stop it. You are making too much sense.

893naughty-thumb.gif Stop it. You are making too much sense.

That is so true,just look at the GPA prices on a 9.2 to 9.4 bump,it really is insane.............especially when you know alot of those get flipped over and over and some get knocked down to a 9.0 in a 9.4 case. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif..............on that note,I feel 8.5 - 9.2 is the best bang for the buck, for mid to late silver......... thumbsup2.gif