• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General view of differing types of Restoration in terms of desirability/value - specifically trimming
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have an opportunity to get a book I'd never be able to afford in a blue label in a purple label.  My general attitude towards collecting is that I probably bought every book I'm going to make multiples off of 30 years ago, and so now I really just want to be confident I can acquire a book, love it and hug it and name it George, and get my money back out when I'm ready.

This particular copy is trimmed.  The trimming is well done and the centering is great, nothing cut off, etc.  I'm just wondering - so I can evaluate the price - if trimming is considered to devalue a book more than say, color touch or pieces added, etc.

Thanks much for the insight!

On 2/5/2024 at 8:46 PM, Corvonie said:

if trimming is considered to devalue a book more than say, color touch or pieces added, etc.

I am sure others will reply with deeply thought out responses but I do not buy books that have been trimmed unless the price is at the very bottom of so low I can crack it out of the slab for a mylar and I just can not find anything comparable. Trimming when noted on the CGC label will and should net you the steepest discount for any restoration; though I use that loosely as I see trimming as destruction vice conservation (pieces add, rice paper, professional color touch, etc).

A trimmed book can be a bargain, but it's essential to realize that most today's collectors look at trimming as a step too far and won't buy them. I don't mind it myself, but it is a deal killer for many.  

Agreed.  Trimming is an automatic "no go" for many/most.  That being said, there is absolutely a market out there for trimmed GA and SA specimens.  Here's a link to 350+ CGC-certified trimmed specimens that have been sold by Heritage over the years.  Pick the books that are most like yours (in terms of era, grade, and importance), and then run the numbers.  :foryou:

Edited by zzutak